Diver missing/found at Venice Beach 5/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From CDNN.info

Does anyone have any more information on this?

VENICE, Florida (22 May 2005) -- A woman who went missing off a public beach in Venice while scuba diving has been found safe.

The Coast Guard and Sheriff's office launched a search after the diver was reported missing by her "dive buddy". The two divers separated underwater and could not see each other when they surfaced.

The missing diver was found about 45 meters (150 feet) offshore when Sarasota County authorities in a boat saw her.

The woman's name has not yet been released.

I got to alhambra around 9:30 and you were already in the water. Sorry I missed you. I didn't find a lot of teeth, but I did find my nicest snaggletooth yet and a pretty big mako (~2"). Also, I was surrouned for a while by a school of sheepshead. Some keepers, too.

With the vis on Sunday and the conditions, I find it hard to believe that someone got lost to the point of calling the FWC. Also, I don't recall seeing any law enforcement out there .

I was there until about 1 PM. Sorry I missed you. Great dives, almost 800 teeth in 2 dives and had a visit from a manatee.

Now I'm really sorry I missed you.

Man, how much worse is this going to get :).

Got any pics of the tooth?

Hit Venice Beach Sunday and the Lifeguard came over to us and explained what happened Saturday with the missing diver.

I guess she got seperated from her partner and her partner got worried and let the Lifeguard know, who then alerted the police and so on. Turns out the diver was just looking for teeth and surfaced to a full fledged search party.

Isnt everyone taught that if you get seperated, search for 1 minute and surface? Buddies should really communicate before diving to avert stuff like this.

You guys were in the water by the time I got there, so I hit Alhambra instead. They must have been pretty focused to lose each other on Sunday. I'm guessing that the reporting partner was the one with the flag.

Soda:
Hit Venice Beach Sunday and the Lifeguard came over to us and explained what happened Saturday with the missing diver.

I guess she got seperated from her partner and her partner got worried and let the Lifeguard know, who then alerted the police and so on. Turns out the diver was just looking for teeth and surfaced to a full fledged search party.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom