Diver missing at Ginnie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If EU standards were followed, this would be impossible, as regs for deco are DIN-26 and regs for depth are DIN-25.

What would you use for Nx50? I'm assuming DIN-26? That isn't a rhetorical question, I just don't know. Obviously O2 would be DIN-26.

If Nx50 is DIN-26, then you could still have the problem of the "wrong" reg on the "wrong" tank.

- brett

What would you use for Nx50? I'm assuming DIN-26? That isn't a rhetorical question, I just don't know. Obviously O2 would be DIN-26.

If Nx50 is DIN-26, then you could still have the problem of the "wrong" reg on the "wrong" tank.

Under the EU standards a M26 DIN valve is required for any tank containing more than 22% oxygen.

My understanding that it is largely ignored.

I started rebreather training at about the time Andrew left the SoCal tech diving scene. He was obviously larger than life, and our trajectories virtually met when the Doria accident happened, as I had known Mike, and I was starting my training with his former instructor. This type of thing should bring someone pause. It did for me. At the time, Andrew was pressed with demands to explain what had happened and, understandably, asked for time. I am not sure he ever went around to do so. I can't blame him, as I have faced the same moral problem when my former training buddy lost his live.
Why am I saying all this? It is not completely out of topic, as we all three were in the same situation, as mentioned in a few prior posts: returning to diving we had been proficient in in the past, but disconnected from for a significant period of time. In the case of my buddy, this resulted in multiple no-go signals that were ignored, with fatal consequences when the first problem occurred then the second...
I have not been diving for a full year and a half, and rather than donning my rebreather and jumping in the water, I decided to take it easy and resume recreational OC, slowly ramping up to solo diving, all this without a camera. Only now do I plan to restart rebreather diving, baby step after baby step in very safe environments.
Andrew appears to have followed the same plan (OC first), although his accomplishments were incomparably greater than mine, but his break much much longer. He was aware, very aware of the frailty of life, as can be seen in the first part of this recent video, but his drive was of a different scale altogether than what I can fathom. Does his kind really have better muscle memory than we mere run-of-the-mill divers? If the cause of his drowning is what has been alluded to, does it point to a breakdown of discipline, of crosschecks, checklists, or if those where not used, memory lapse, rustiness of the mental routine that one needs to go through and to some extent rely on when preparing and accomplishing a challenging dive as this? We will never have the answer, but the question is my point and the warning I get from this accident.
I have stayed away from these forums for most of the pandemic, as, not diving myself, dive incidents and accidents had become irrelevant to me. Not anymore, and I'd hate to read more of them in which a possible root cause would be "too far, too fast".

It may be hugely inappropriate but I found this thread hilarious.
A bunch of people hinting at knowing what happened, a bunch of others hinting that they know how they would prevent it. A bit of insane litigations that can only happen in the US. A obfuscated 20 page clusterduck with the only useful information being written between the lines.

All in connection to the death of a diver who was even vocal about not obfuscating facts about dive accidents.

It may be hugely inappropriate but I found this thread hilarious.
A bunch of people hinting at knowing what happened, a bunch of others hinting that they know how they would prevent it. A bit of insane litigations that can only happen in the US. A obfuscated 20 page clusterduck with the only useful information being written between the lines.

All in connection to the death of a diver who was even vocal about not obfuscating facts about dive accidents.
Ironic may be a better word, Hilarious sorta can mean getting joy from. While some may, I would hope nobody is getting joy from any of this, and the irony that Andrew himself was pro disclosure and accident investigation is infuriating and also pissing on his grave and memory.

you say that, but do we actually know they don't have a camera running or is it covered up by the IUCRR like the dive logs from the computers and everything else?
True dat.

TBH, I haven't read the IUCRR manual since 2007 when I joined after taking the NSS-CDS Cave Recovery course with Lamar Hires and John Jones at Peacock where we also did the IUCRR course as part of that training, but the current version (2016) states the following:

Security of the Complete IUCRR Incident Report
The COMPLETE IUCRR INCIDENT REPORT with names opinions and comments are confidential and the property of the IUCRR. They are not to be discussed or distributed because of possible future legal liability. The IUCRR REVISED REPORT, with the removal of the names and opinions and comments not based on fact, may be discussed and distributed by members, and will be posted to the IUCRR Web site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom