Diver missing at Ginnie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Experienced cave divers from around the world have mastered the rudiments of gas management when using Diver Propulsion Vehicles—depth and distance being the limiting factors. A CCR is regarded as just another tool in the workshop of a competent technical diver. After reading the adverse circumstances which lead the deceased to write an in-depth analysis on a previous cave diving incident, I cannot comprehend why there weren’t protective covers fitted over the breathing hoses. Why he forgot to fully open his stage tanks before testing the regulator, and why was the stage tanks placed so far apart in the event of a catastrophic flood? Why hadn’t he checked his SPGs on his stages? Why had he even considered in wanting to retrieve his gap reels in an emergency? This particular cave dive was poorly planned and executed, with subsequent events intensifying the situation. Consummate cave divers are amply trained and experienced in the phenomenon of tunnel vision, vertigo, silt outs, halocline, and know how to counteract the effects. The blackout mask often used in substandard cave training is an inferior simulation at best. I’m not sure if the individual was wearing a helmet while using his DPV. Moving through a tight squeeze while diving solo is risky and the issue with diving solo is that your team skills begin to deteriorate over time. The G.U.E instructor, who certified him, isn’t subject to redress, or be exposed to recrimination since the individual was deemed to be an experienced cave diver. This would be quite different if the individual had less than 30-dives. The rule of thirds was never designated for cave divers; it was intended for boat owners using outboards. Complacency ends in tragedy.
Which report/analysis are you referencing?

Experienced cave divers from around the world have mastered the rudiments of gas management when using Diver Propulsion Vehicles—depth and distance being the limiting factors. A CCR is regarded as just another tool in the workshop of a competent technical diver. After reading the adverse circumstances which lead the deceased to write an in-depth analysis on a previous cave diving incident, I cannot comprehend why there weren’t protective covers fitted over the breathing hoses. Why he forgot to fully open his stage tanks before testing the regulator, and why was the stage tanks placed so far apart in the event of a catastrophic flood? Why hadn’t he checked his SPGs on his stages? Why had he even considered in wanting to retrieve his gap reels in an emergency? This particular cave dive was poorly planned and executed, with subsequent events intensifying the situation. Consummate cave divers are amply trained and experienced in the phenomenon of tunnel vision, vertigo, silt outs, halocline, and know how to counteract the effects. The blackout mask often used in substandard cave training is an inferior simulation at best. I’m not sure if the individual was wearing a helmet while using his DPV. Moving through a tight squeeze while diving solo is risky and the issue with diving solo is that your team skills begin to deteriorate over time. The G.U.E instructor, who certified him, isn’t subject to redress, or be exposed to recrimination since the individual was deemed to be an experienced cave diver. This would be quite different if the individual had less than 30-dives. The rule of thirds was never designated for cave divers; it was intended for boat owners using outboards. Complacency ends in tragedy.
If I were to attempt to write a bot to shove sufficient trolling and overwhelming lack of cohesive thought and lack of logic into a post, I’m not sure I could. Chapeau.

Literal HOLY CRAP dude. Do you even dive?

This is actually an excellent idea. And the solution is plain simple. Before Cousteau and Gagnan, reducing the pressure of air was done with a primitive first stage which did NOT compensate for ambient pressure.
Such a first stages makes breathing harder at depth. It does not stop flow entirely, but makes it quite evident that something is wrong. And such a not-ambient-pressure-compensated first stage is actually SIMPLER than current first stages...

As soon as I have a bit of time, we should discuss it! Thanks for the input :)

As soon as I have a bit of time, we should discuss it! Thanks for the input :)
Higher work of breathing makes off gassing less effective, just throwing that out there

You made me think about adding a device to the deco stages that allows the gas to flow only below certain environment pressure values (something to place between the valve and the first stage)... But it would add complications and failure points that probably nobody wants to have...

This is nothing new. People have used different brand regulators for different stages, different colored regulators for different gas mixtures (e.g., green hosed and green covered second stages for oxygen), poodle jackets, etc. as a way to differentiate gasses. There have been examples where all of these practices have failed, because they put the regulator on the wrong bottle, etc.
I am afraid this would include your envisioned "solution."
A proper gas analysis, documentation, and gas switching protocol is simple and effective if employed correctly.

It is my understanding that the IUCRR has stopped issuing public reports and only gives reports to the police. The reason supposedly was that they feared a lawsuit if someone from a family was offended by something they wrote. The police will release it to someone through FOIA, but not otherwise.
I'm a volunteer RRSOM/Diver with the IUCRR, and there are no backroom discussions within the organization either of which I am aware. The reports are supposed to be "just the facts" in a way "Dragnet" would be proud.

The reports, if they exist.....
The IUCRR started the Law Enforcement Oversight Board which is probably making sure that the IUCRR stays on mission as an organization that exists to assist law enforcement and ensure reports go only to law enforcement.

The IUCRR started the Law Enforcement Oversight Board which is probably making sure that the IUCRR stays on mission as an organization that exists to assist law enforcement and ensure reports go only to law enforcement.
And that is exactly what I said. The IUCRR no longer publishes reports but instead sends them to the police, where the public can only access them through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Back
Top Bottom