Diver missing at Cocos Island, Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guy swam ashore and then gone to seek help!

Good luck.

Have you been in Manuelita? It's a small rocky island, as shown, below. The liveaboard is usually anchored on the east side of the island. The crew should be able to find the diver easily if he went to the island.

4Cocos overview.jpg

Below picture shows Argo with Manuelita island on the background.
5M1834937.JPG

I can’t find any reports of this in Canadian media...very odd

Have you been in Manuelita? It's a small rocky island, as shown, below. The liveaboard is usually anchored on the east side of the island. The crew should be able to find the diver easily if he went to the island
Dived there once and did not set foot on land.

When diver gone missing in a dive, very seldom only the equipment was found on the beach. The under water current usually carried everything away.

I was hoping for the best outcome.

Maybe someone here knows: if he was attacked by a shark and he was found 72h later, shouldn’t there be clues indicating that he was attached by a shark ?

i.e. traces of human blood or anything ? Is it really that likely that the shark didn’t leave marks on the equipment but the body was damaged enough to slip out of the equipment ?

I can't imagine they found it like it was left there. I saw a post on Facebook a few days ago from someone who said he was Kent's friend, it said he went missing as the group surfaced from their last deco stop after a 300ft rebreather dive. Sounds to me like he had an issue in the water, and did not make it back to land.

I can't imagine they found it like it was left there. I saw a post on Facebook a few days ago from someone who said he was Kent's friend, it said he went missing as the group surfaced from their last deco stop after a 300ft rebreather dive. Sounds to me like he had an issue in the water, and did not make it back to land.

So was he seen at that last deco stop?

Ask Undersea Hunter, they are the ones that took him out.
Here are tidbits that are NOT from a signed statement.
His buddy saw him drift off at 30ft or so on his last deco obligation. Kent signaled ok to him. But he never stayed with him off the line. Once the buddy was back on Argo he noticed Madsen not on board. Search started then. His rolled up reel with the inflated smb was found on the rocky shoreline, it was attached to his crotch strap apparently with its end shredded. No body recovery or other equipment after extensive sub and diver search. No computer recovery.
He went doing what he loved.
He wouldnt want blame pitched around.
He was a man that loved adventure.
I will miss him dearly.
If this can teach us something great but please don't speculate, you know the family is reading our words.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom