Diver lost in Dover Straits - UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no idea where Dover is, nor the conditions there, i'm not from that area of the world

Conditions are very different to the Med or the Red Sea.

I've done a couple of dives nearby, but didn't really enjoy diving in those conditions.

Very sad incident.

"They added that there are no plans to relaunch the operation unless further information comes forward"

So wait... they searched for several hours and that's it? leave the body there? they don't care anymore?

I find this absurd... they need to go and find this poor guy's body so the family can have closure and the deceased can have a respectful proper burial.

Maybe he got washed out to sea, it's the divers responsibility not the rescue team for his disappearance.

Maybe he got washed out to sea, it's the divers responsibility not the rescue team for his disappearance.
By the report quoted he was already mid Channel when he went missing. You can’t get ‘washed out to sea’ from the middle of the sea.

In what circumstances is a disappearance the responsibility of a “rescue team” ?

There seems to be considerable confusion on this thread about how done, certainly in this part of the world.

What happens is a bunch of people (up to 12 depending on the boat) go out to some site of interest. That site is ANYWHERE in the wet bit between England and France. Then they jump off the boat, head down a rope and hope to find a wreck at the bottom. After a while they are expected back at the surface and are collected by the boat. Mostly you can’t see the coast.

That wet bit is subject to the actions of the moon and the sun, so the wet stuff moves back and forth. In addition lots of large cargo ships are heading up and down.

So what if someone doesn’t reappear? You ask the passing huge ships to keep an eye out (although they are unlikely to notice something as small as a dive boat, let alone a diver) you get a helicopter out and any lifeboats. You have a look for a bit, taking into account which way the tide was running since the diver got into the water.

One of two things can have happened, either the diver surfaced or not. If they surfaced then you hope to find them. That sometimes happens, with divers being found after 8 hours. On the other hand it is quite possible that they are lost on the bottom. How long do you look? In places with less tide I have known searches go on for days, but in that particular area they will be long gone.

These dives can have particular complications, getting back to the surface isn’t the end of it.

So, no new information of the diver or details of the dive, @DandyDon ?
I don’t see any update when using google news since the 23Oct

So, no new information of the diver or details of the dive, @DandyDon ?
I just try to pass along news I find. This accident has dropped out of news, but there is always hope that local divers will share info here.

I know that most dead divers that are found are found with weights intact. I always practice ditching weights the first dive of my trips and try to keep that option in mind in case of emergency. If he sunk in the Dover Strait, I really doubt that recovery is likely.

There is always the chance that he may have drifted away on the surface, and it sounds like they conducted an intense search, but are going with the original report that he didn't surface.

Not sure if this is the same incident (or at least one of them):

Police are investigating after three men died diving from the same boat

Dates don't coincide, so I don't think so.

Incident from OP was October 21, 2018

From your link

"American dentist Bruce Hottum, French national Thierry Raibaut and Faversham dad Benjamin Moss died during separate dives from the Maverick between July 2017 and March this year."​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom