Diver lost in Cozumel today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dandy Don said: I guess that's because this forum is not the place for sensitive remarks. It was especially sad loss, but sensitivities actually impede the possibilities of learning here - and even sadder would be avoiding the lessons and repeating the mistakes leading to more losses.

How very well said Don, Thank You.....

I'd see more safety in divers allowing for that risk if overweighted, unable to ditch weighs, and unable to deal with the common challenges as downwellings are always possible on those walls.

This is a pix of two from my group trying to fin up the wall at 150 ft. Snapshot 3 (4-16-2012 9-13 AM) - Copy.jpg

FWIW, I took Don's comment to be a response to the "little current" post and it seemed to me an appropriate response to that post. Trouble with the internet is that we lose the nuances found in actual speech. I thought it was simply a reminder that in fact one person did perish that week and a counter to the other post. I did not read it as glib or inappropriate.

A diver died on a dive where there was current present. No proof exists that a diver died because of the current.

A diver aborted a dive for some reason, could have been ear problems, could have been uncomfortable with the current, could have been as simple as her mask kept flooding, she might have been feeling strange due to a heart attack or a stroke, could have been equipment related, could have been any number of reasons, nobody knows. Her buddy did lose contact with her and because of that the result was whatever she did after he lost sight of her, she either never surfaced or at least didn't stayed on the surface. Why? Nobody knows, could have choked on water, could have been out of air, could have been a medical condition, could have been panic. Did she get into a down current and deflated her BCD instead of inflate it? Did she have a stroke on the way up? I don't know, but I know nobody can say she died because of a current.

I thought two died that day from that wall?

There have been several reports that a female diver surfaced in distress, was provided with oxygen and transported to a hospital and died there. Some of those reports came from people on the boat that is reported to have picked up the woman, and one even included the woman's first name. There is not much more information about it. One posting on Cozumel My Cozumel suggested she came to the surface right near another diver who had just done a rapid ascent trying to overcome a downward current, but there is nothing more concrete that I know of.

I think we hear more about lost divers because of the search and rescue component. There is usually little reported about divers who are injured and transported for medical care.

There have been several reports that a female diver surfaced in distress, was provided with oxygen and transported to a hospital and died there. Some of those reports came from people on the boat that is reported to have picked up the woman, and one even included the woman's first name. There is not much more information about it. One posting on Cozumel My Cozumel suggested she came to the surface right near another diver who had just done a rapid ascent trying to overcome a downward current, but there is nothing more concrete that I know of.

I think we hear more about lost divers because of the search and rescue component. There is usually little reported about divers who are injured and transported for medical care.

Can you link to such a report?

Last edited:

Can you link to such a report?

Actually, here are a couple:

Lost Diver Rumors March 28, 2012? - Cozumel My Cozumel Discussion Forums

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...-diver-lost-cozumel-today-15.html#post6292705

I saw a couple more somewhere, perhaps in the Cozumel forum here. I will look for them but they did not contain any further information.

Your first link goes to a very confusing report that seems to be talking about something that happened a year ago. The second link goes to this thread, but I can't find anything in it on the incident you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom