Diver Killed By Shark Attack Tasmania Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it me or does it seem like the frequency of divers inadvertently crossing paths with white sharks have increased over the past few years?

I don't recall hearing much about divers running across white sharks (outside of shark dives) from 2005-2010. Since around 2011 or so, there have been several reports of divers running into white sharks (Molikini crater, Duane wreck, ghost net dive in SoCal and Pt Lobos in Norcal are just a few that come to mind) and in fact, there is even video proof for most of these reports.

I'm not a researcher but could be there looking for new hunting grounds since the the ocean has alot less fish then it once did, I'm sure the sharks would be very happy to stay away from us but
they gotta eat too - very sad about the diver tho there are risks with diving but still sad - to be honest I think were very easy prey for them especially for something like a great white - we're slow and clumsy compared to fish and no real way to defend ourselves other then knife or spear gun. Condolences to the family

Here is another thing....when one of us is hunting, or shooting pictures....we are focusing on a tiny area and EXCLUDING the life all around us where we are not focused on....

While I like to get good video, I am aware that if I get very intent on something, I am not as good a buddy as I could be without the camera, and I may just be less aware of that great white taking an interest in me from behind.....And the real problem, is our dysfunctional awareness when hunting ( which includes photo/video/scalloping/abalone/etc)

If you were wandering around in a big horse pasture that had dozens of big horses also wandering around...with some full of beans....if you are not keeping your eyes on them, it is quite possible they could get behind you and nip you in the back, or even accidentally run over you....neither would be a real attack necessarily, but if it happened, it would be our fault, for turning our backs on large animals we should be keeping our eyes on..or at the very least, in the diving scenario, our buddy better be keeping an eye on....or at least trying to.

Some divers are always scanning, and always see big life that shows up, almost anywhere around them....others are often not going to see the same big life, unless it practically runs into them.

The diver in this attack may well have been incredibly vigilant....I don't know anything about "him"...but I do know there is a big number of divers out there that is not very vigilant.
Put an ambush predator behind them, let it be just a little curious, and it is a bad time to not be paying no attention to what your not hunting.

Is it me or does it seem like the frequency of divers inadvertently crossing paths with white sharks have increased over the past few years?

I don't recall hearing much about divers running across white sharks (outside of shark dives) from 2005-2010. Since around 2011 or so, there have been several reports of divers running into white sharks (Molikini crater, Duane wreck, ghost net dive in SoCal and Pt Lobos in Norcal are just a few that come to mind) and in fact, there is even video proof for most of these reports.

It makes sense. The populations are finally staring to recover a bit. More sharks equals more sightings.

Great White Sharks Thriving in U.S. Waters

Also, keep in mind that we are seeing a lot more videos than we used to. Back in the 2005-2010 time frame, there was much less dive video taken and even less shared on the internet. GoPro didn't have a truly usable digital camera that could go to scuba depths until around 2010 and they didn't become common until the Hero3 was introduced in late 2012. Likewise, Facebook and social media really didn't start to explode until mid-2008 or so. A lot of the sightings and stories that occurred before those times likely still happened, but you just weren't aware of them because they didn't go viral like they do now.

How is gathering scallops a cause to be attacked by a shark?

IMO sharks know when something they are watching as potential prey is distracted, as in a seal foraging for food.

Scallop and abalone divers seem to be targets in Tasmania. Time spend on the activity and body fluids from the creatures are thought to be contributing factors by many. :idk:

I don't believe in anthropomorphizing. Alpex predators need to be "effective hunters" or they die. Land or sea if we put ourselves in their world we take risks. More people in the water = more opportunity for things to go wrong.. well for the humans anyway.

We need to respect their domain, learn about their behavior patterns and behave accordingly. I suspect it is easier to locate and identify the "Problem bear" than the Problem Shark. IMHO the answer doesn't lie in wanton killing of creatures trying to survive in their domain. I do however believe that with the right proof of responsibility serial killers should be disposed of. It doesn't matter if they walk on two legs, four legs or swim in the ocean... I just has to be done with reasonable balance!

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 11:35 AM ----------

It makes sense. The populations are finally staring to recover a bit. More sharks equals more sightings.

Great White Sharks Thriving in U.S. Waters

Also, keep in mind that we are seeing a lot more videos than we used to. Back in the 2005-2010 time frame, there was much less dive video taken and even less shared on the internet. GoPro didn't have a truly usable digital camera that could go to scuba depths until around 2010 and they didn't become common until the Hero3 was introduced in late 2012. Likewise, Facebook and social media really didn't start to explode until mid-2008 or so. A lot of the sightings and stories that occurred before those times likely still happened, but you just weren't aware of them because they didn't go viral like they do now.

Absolutely agree here! I will also go one step further and say that cameras are picking up creatures that the divers often didn't even see while they were in the water. They only spot the critters while checking the pics. That means a lot of "sightings" would not have been sightings prior to every Dive Diva and macho man having a camera to share their exploits :wink:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

More off-topic posts have been deleted. If you want to start a new, general, hypothetical discussion about shark culling, then do it in another more appropriate forum, please. If you continue to post in this forum, anf violate this forum's rules, all your well-thought, well-argued points will be hitting the trash can. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Great article in the local paper about the daughter of the diver taken by the shark in this incident, she saw her father in the mouth of the shark. She went on to become a Rolex Scholarship winner, dived with great white sharks and is now a marine scientist.

I saw here speak about here experience as a Rolex Scholar earlier this year, she is a truly remarkable young lady.

https://www.themercury.com.au/news/...oDFRICrGceYCJjnzZBjT3gEADAe14xvvrxWwSNZIJn_DQ

Here is another link as the one above seems to behind a paywall
Woman relives terrifying moment she saw her dad taken by great white shark as they dived in Tasmania | Daily Mail Online

Great article in the local paper about the daughter of the diver taken by the shark in this incident, she saw her father in the mouth of the shark. She went on to become a Rolex Scholarship winner, dived with great white sharks and is now a marine scientist.

I saw here speak about here experience as a Rolex Scholar earlier this year, she is a truly remarkable young lady.

https://www.themercury.com.au/news/...oDFRICrGceYCJjnzZBjT3gEADAe14xvvrxWwSNZIJn_DQ

Woman relives terrifying moment she saw her dad taken by great white shark as they dived in Tasmania | Daily Mail Online
Such courage to finish her Marine Biology degree and return to Diving. Thank you for the update.

Wow she is really an incredible person.

Back
Top Bottom