Diver killed by propeller in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i never dive with a flag or a sausage.. it gets caught on stuff too much and drives me crazy. I'll take my chances.

buy the SMB, they are always good to at least have on hand.

FYI "SMB" also stands for San Miguel Beer in the Philippines. I'm a strong proponent of having a nice cold SMB on hand after the dive:eyebrow:...

Condolences to the family. While we may not have the full details, a few safety precautioned may have prevented this tragedy.

i never dive with a flag or a sausage.. it gets caught on stuff too much and drives me crazy. I'll take my chances.
my sausage is always with me when i dive... it's not a choice...

i just have to protect it from nasty titan triggers...

Jag

actually i am serious. not all the DMs i've dived with had SMBs. but we do normally surface near the boat. if not, i try to hear if a boat's coming.

so am i gonna die?

maybe i should go ahead and pull the trigger on that SMB i was eyein online.

I try to give you a serious answer too.

you should have a SMB just in case you are separated from your group and all other "what if..." cases.

you should learn to use it and shoot it up from safety stop depth. (many diver carry one but have no clue how to deploy it. pumping it up at the surface won't help much, when a boat comes in fast.

Make sure your line is long enough... 5 meter-lines are not even enough for simple bondage games, neither they are for divers. Why ? you will find out when a strong surface wind/current goes in another direction than the watercurremt at 5 meters depth. get a 30 meter spool, easy to carry, handle and no knots.

practice often, until you are sure that you don't shoot yourself up....entangled in line and SMB. ( i did it :lotsalove:... during my DM course from the Dry Dock in PG and video-Rob has it on video)

At the end of the day it's not my life, so I actually can't say if you should have one as I don't know how much you hang on your life...

another great recreational activity for real bravehearts ... bungeejumping- unplugged

cheers

Rhoody

i have to agree with rhoody about a longer spool line... i've got 20ft on mine and although it works well it's a beeyatch with a current as sometimes i feel i'm gonna get dragged right out of the water...

that being said i need another 10-12 feet of line to be happy...

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom