Diver killed by lightning in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

letsgodiving

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another tragedy today, and one I know a lot of Florida divers worry about:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sfl-722lightningboat,0,2253768.story?track=rss

Diver killed by lightning strike off Deerfield coast
By Ken Kaye
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
5:33 PM EDT, July 22, 2007
DEERFIELD BEACH

A 36-year-old man was struck and killed by lightning while diving in the Atlantic Ocean off Deerfield Beach on Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

The incident took place during an afternoon of severe thunderstorms that pelted the region, from Miami to West Palm Beach, with torrential rains, strong winds, pea-sized hail and hundreds of bolts of lightning.

At the time of the strike, at about 3 p.m., two divers were on a 20-foot boat and two were in the water, said Deerfield Beach Fire Division Chief Gary Fernaays.

When one of the divers in the water surfaced, "lighting struck his tank," Fernaays said. "He was approximately 30 feet from the boat at the time."

The man, whose name was not immediately released, went underwater again, as the other three attempted to rescue him. It took about 10 minutes for them to get the victim into the boat, Fernaays said.

During that time, they radioed Deerfield Beach Fire-Rescue for help. They then drove the boat toward shore and beached it in the 600 block of North Ocean Boulevard, Fernaays said.

"Our unit was waiting at the beach," he said. "When we saw the boat coming in, we immediately headed to that location."

The victim, who had gone into cardiac arrest, was given CPR while he was being taken North Broward Medical Center in Pompano Beach, where he was pronounced dead, authorities said.

Lightning also struck and started a roof fire a home in the 3000 block of Green Turtle Place in Margate, according to a preliminary report. Tile were reportedly blown off roof, but no injuries reported.

The reason squally weather hit so hard on Sunday: two line of thunderstorms converged on South Florida from two different directions, said meteorologist Dan Gregoria of the National Weather Service in Miami.

"Storms developed along the Atlantic coast and started to move inland," he said. "Other storms developed out over the Everglades and moved into the metro areas as well."

East-central Broward County was hit hardest, receiving about 2 to 3 inches of rain, Gregoria said. The weather service issued an urban flood advisory, though no serious flooding was reported on Sunday, other than puddles in streets and low-lying areas.

A tornado was initially reported in the 2100 block of Northwest 29th Court Oakland Park but officials couldn't confirm that a twister actually touched down.

Even so, the weather in that area was "really bad," said Richard Tingley, a Broward Sheriff's Office communications operator who lives in that area and was delayed getting to work on Sunday afternoon by the heavy rains.

"There was a lot of rain and wind," he said. "You couldn't even see the car in front of you."

Monday's forecast: a 60 percent chance of more showers and thunderstorms.

I have been curious about this. I have been diving in the rain many times. look up and see the water drops hitting the surface. love it. but let's say lightning strikes the water, not you. how far away from it could you survive? how deep does the lightning go before the energy dissipates to the point of no harm?? always been curious. never been struck.

I skipped a dive last week because of lightening. Glad I did.

Whoa! That doesn't mean I'll get lightening in Carmel Bay.

My husband and I got did one of our open water certification dives in Cozumel when it was lightening like all git out. We were told there was nothing to worry about. We really enjoyed the groovy effects of the lightening under water, looked just like a fish disco.

Anyways.....

I was diving from a boat today just a few miles away when these storms blow through. We were at about 120 feet and I could see the lightning and actually hear the thunder. It was so dark it was like doing a night dive and at first I though someone was taking pictures but then I realized no one had a camera. The flashes of lightning were like camera strobes going off and the thunder was a low roar even at that depth. Thank God I had enough gas to stay down longer then planned and avoid the worst of it. We did a short decompression and when we finally surfaced it was still raining and there were a few lightning strikes off in the distance but nothing close.

My heart and prayers go out to the friends and family of the diver.

Very sad and disconcerting. I got hit by lighting on a dive a few weeks ago. I nearly ran out of gas trying wait for the storm to pass over.

Condolences to the family.

I was taught that lightning dissapates at the surface. So as long as you don't surface you are ok (hence why fish don't get electrocuted). Of course, we all have to come up eventually.

georoc01:
I was taught that lightning dissapates at the surface. So as long as you don't surface you are ok (hence why fish don't get electrocuted). Of course, we all have to come up eventually.

My experiences do not jibe with this. Fish don't swim around in the water with metal tanks strapped on their backs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom