Diver killed by hit & run speedboat - Port Phillip Bay, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the legal definition....

Hit and run. n. the crime of a driver of a vehicle who is involved in a collision with another vehicle, property or human being, who knowingly fails to stop to give his/her name, license number, and other information as required by statute to the injured party, a witness, or law enforcement officers.

This is the legal definition....
That would be germane if we were trying to hold court here. That should not be the intent as blamestorming is not allowed in this forum. The fact that the boat driver hit, then left, explains the incident without assigning intent. Some news reports claim that he had to know he hit something, but still - he may have thought he hit debris. The authorities can deal with his supposed intent,

blamestorming

Wtf?

I'm the one who's saying it shouldn't be called a hit and run until there's intent proven. In your words, "hit then left" would be better IMO. Why didn't you use that in your thread title?

Wtf?

I'm the one who's saying it shouldn't be called a hit and run until there's intent proven. In your words, "hit then left" would be better IMO. Why didn't you use that in your thread title?
Hit and run is one way of saying he left. I did not say flee. "Methinks you worry too much about nothing."

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Parsing language and legal terminology has a limit to its usefulness in a forum designed to help divers learn from incidents and accidents. We are all on the same side and our goal should be find ways to avoid future incidents and reduce risks. Allowing others to use terms that may not be the ones we would choose is part of getting along with people whose version of our language may be different than the version we use. If we are going to veer off topic and discuss another's choice of words, try to be friendly and respectful. Better would be to let it go and discuss what procedures could or perhaps were in place to avoid these accidents. Thanks for your participation. Shake hands and share a beverage.

Many years ago I was driving on a rainy foggy night. Slowed down as I approached an intersection, where a stop was not required, when a woman stepped out in front of me at the intersection. I swerved and said to my date "whew, we almost hit her." I was sure we had missed her but something told me to check. So I stopped and walked back. She had been hit by the side of the car. She recovered. Witnesses said I did all I could to avoid the accident. Point is you can hit somebody/something and not know you have done it.

Back
Top Bottom