Diver killed by boat in Cozumel last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloudboy55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I learned from a divemaster in Cozumel that a female diver was hit by a boat propeller and killed last week. I don't further details, but this would have happened around July 31st according to the divemaster. I found this on the 'net:

HARBOR MASTER TALKS ABOUT BOAT DIVING SAFETY MEASURES--Boats to Be Sanctioned & a New Navigational Channel Put Into Effect
El Semanario de Cozumel

Cozumel Harbor Master Genaro Escalante Medina,
represented that last week's accident where a diver was killed when he was dragged into the propeller of his private yacht has made many tourist fearful. However, he emphasized that this was an isolated incident that could have been prevented with more precautions in dealing with Cozumel waters..

The accident, he went on to say had less to do with any inexperience or lack of skill on the part of the captain and more to do with the bad conditions in the water at the time including the sea swell.

He remembered last year there was only one propeller accident which also was not the fault of the captain as the diver in this case was very inexperienced and slipped and fell into the water and was drawn into the propeller. Here again it was an accident where not a single thing could have been done.
But to avoid future incidents of this kind he recommended that boat captains--particularly those not intimately familiar with working with divers in these waters -- should turn off their engine and let the diver swim to the boat rather than going looking about for them.

Another safety concern that is currently being dealt with is that some dive boats have been detected circulating very close to bathers principally in the Villablanca and the Paraíso's zone, an area given over largely to tourist .

They are currently cracking down hard on those captains who come in too close or too fast so as to avoid some lamentable accident if there is sea swell. And they can expect very large fines if they are caught doing this.

He represented that future accidents will also be avoided by the new system of marine navigation that is going into effect as part of the Work of the Century Cozumel improvements program that also included the renovation of the downtown waterfront area. Buoys and light signals will be employed to regulate direction, velocity and circulation of boats within the reef area. The regulated channel will extend from the Puerta Maya Paradise Reef area in the north 20 kilometers south to Punta Sur. It will be 100 meters wide.

A sad loss...

The diver may have the right-of-way, but we do have to make ourselves visible - and sometimes be prepared to duck and hide. That channel has always made me nervous about boats and jet skiers, but I always remind myself to listen closely before the final ascent anywhere. I know what the agencies teach, but I like to be a big negative even with an empty tank so I can get down fast if needed. I'd rather take my chances on a breath hold and subsequent weight ditching if needed.

We will never know if the deceased carried a SMB and had it deployed before being struck. Those should be required equipment and training for that channel.

I wonder how anyone could construe this as not the fault of the captain. It is absolutely the fault of the captain. Why in God's name was the prop engaged when a diver (especially an unexperienced one) was in this position?

cloudboy55:
He remembered last year there was only one propeller accident which also was not the fault of the captain as the diver in this case was very inexperienced and slipped and fell into the water and was drawn into the propeller.

cloudboy55:
He remembered last year there was only one propeller accident which also was not the fault of the captain as the diver in this case was very inexperienced and slipped and fell into the water and was drawn into the propeller. Here again it was an accident where not a single thing could have been done.

[/I]

Not a single thing could be done????? Rubish (we have a different word for it in Texas) Either the boat operator failed in his approach to the diver or the diver surfaced into the prop. Either way, there is something different that could be done.

Why would you not want to dive Cozumel because of this? With an attitude like that just don't dive because every place you dive there has most likely been a diving accident there before you arrived.

This type of accident can happen anywhere. SMBs should be required, it is definitely preventable.

The risks for this sort of things are worse in Cozumel than any other place I have dived. But they're all preventable with a SMB, reel, and skills in handling same. Not as easy as it looks.

"Cozumel Harbor Master Genaro Escalante Medina,
represented that last week's accident where a diver was killed when he was dragged into the propeller of his private yacht has made many tourist fearful."

So, apparently he was boarding his own yacht, and was dragged into the screw?
That's not really hard to imagine. OTOH, when boarding a boat in big swells, it really doesn't make much difference whether the screw was turning or not. Even a stationary prop crashing down on your head will kill you. For that matter, even the platform or ladder can kill you. There's that point of no return when the boat is on a crest and you're in the trough that if you fail to grab onto the ladder when it comes down, you will end up under the boat on the next swell whether the screw is turning or not.
Perhaps he hesitated and missed his window of opportunity.
In any case, this doesn't in any way, cause me to steer clear of Cozumel.
It definately doesn't sound like it was the fault of any of the dive ops.

Diver Dennis:
This type of accident can happen anywhere. SMBs should be required, it is definitely preventable.

I agree but that's no guarantee of safety either. Around here, most boaters don't have a clue what a dive flag is let alone a SMB. The first thing they tend to do is cruise over to investigate that big "pool noodle" for the kids.

Your best bet is to use your eyes and ears to insure its all clear before you surface. We've hung at 10' for extended periods more than once when traffic was heavy. Frankly, its the sailboats that worry me. Especially the deep keeled ones.

Sailboat = SBD. :wink:

I must say though, from what i've seen in Coz, recognition of diver markers is not a problem at all. Most of the Captains i've seen working those waters were very good at what they do. They certainly recognize flags or SMB's and steer well clear of them as required.

The fact that not many boat vs diver accidents happen today in Coz is a testament of how safe their people are right now. I think the navigation channel thing is a great idea though and a long time coming. Coz has just gotten too busy to do anything less.

Back
Top Bottom