Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a couple of questions.
I'm sure he'll fight extradtion, but will he flee? Can the State of AL prosecute him, if he was to have planned this prior to their trip?

the information about his dive computer beeping at him so he left her, went up and turned the batteries around; then the computer functioned correctly. ooookkkkkaaayyyy :confused: how did it beep at him in the first place??? i can't imagine it working to begin with if the batteries were backwards. and, then he left her?? a certified rescue diver?

i will be interesting to see if they can get at least one diver on the jury.

What I don't get is why?

If it was for the whopping $130,000...wouldn't you make sure she changed it before you killed her??

It's all just so stupid

Here is a new update from US News on June/20/08.

Source : U.S. diver accused of honeymoon killing - Asia-Pacific - MSNBC.com

U.S. diver accused of honeymoon killing
Tourist charged with murder in Australia after wife's underwater death

updated 4:35 a.m. ET, Fri., June. 20, 2008

SYDNEY, Australia - An American tourist was charged with murder in Australia on Friday for allegedly drowning his wife during a honeymoon dive in 2003 on the Greet Barrier Reef.

Police immediately began preparing a warrant for the arrest of the suspect, Daniel Gabriel Watson of Birmingham, Ala. — the first step in what are likely to be drawn-out extradition proceedings.

Watson faces a maximum penalty of life in prison if convicted. His lawyer did not immediately enter a plea, but he has argued that the evidence does not support any criminal charge and that police have seemed intent on blaming him anyway.

Watson was not present in court and his exact whereabouts were unclear. The charge was formally made by a coroner who conducted a months-long inquest into whether there were suspicious circumstances in the death of Christina Mae Watson on Oct. 22, 2003.

Historic shipwreck
The 26-year-old woman, known as Tina, drowned while diving on a historic shipwreck near the northeastern city of Townsville as her husband of 11 days looked on.

Watson, usually called Gabe, declined to testify at the inquest, although videotaped interviews with police formed a key part of evidence before it.

In the interviews, Watson said his new bride apparently had trouble a few minutes into the dive, panicked and clutched at his mask, pushing it off his face. He described seeing her, with her eyes wide and arms outstretched toward him, sinking into the deep.

The groom, an experienced diver who had completed a dive-rescue course, was acting as a so-called dive buddy for his less-experienced wife. He told police he decided to go for help rather than following her to the sea floor and attempting a rescue.

One of the dive leaders pulled Tina Watson to the surface. Efforts to resuscitate her failed.

Queensland state coroner David Glasgow's inquest heard that police, who initially believed the death to be an accident, started to become suspicious when Watson changed some details of his account.

Coroner: Evidence of foul play
An autopsy found no pre-existing medical condition that could have explained Tina Watson's death. Tests showed there was nothing wrong with her diving gear.

In his findings handed down Friday, Glasgow said the exact circumstances of Tina Watson's fate may never be known, but there was enough evidence of foul play to justify a murder charge against her husband.

"There are only two persons who know what in fact actually occurred," Glasgow said. "One is Tina, who cannot tell us, and the other is Gabe."

He formally indicted Watson on a charge of killing his wife.

"I am satisfied there is evidence of sufficient reliability ... that a properly instructed jury could make a finding of guilt against David Gabriel Watson on a charge of murder," Glasgow said.

Watson's lawyer, Steve Zillman, did not enter a plea on behalf of his client, or offer any other statement.

Life insurance motive?
Zillman argued during the inquest that Watson had no motive to kill his wife and that the evidence did not support a criminal charge. He accused police of being determined to blame Watson for the death, no matter what the evidence showed.

But Glasgow said Tina Watson's father, Tommy Thomas, had given evidence of a possible motive. Thomas said his daughter told him that shortly before they were married, Gabe Watson asked his fiancee to increase her life insurance and change the policy to make him the sole beneficiary. Thomas said his daughter decided to lie to Watson that she had made the changes.

Tommy Thomas, Tina Watson's mother Cindy Thomas and other family members watched Glasgow read out his findings in court via a live video link to Alabama.

'Relieved'
The dead woman's father was quoted by the Australian Broadcasting Corp. as saying the family welcomed Friday's result as backing their suspicions about Watson.

"We're actually relieved to hear the coroner's findings," Thomas said. "It's something that we have dealt with for quite some time and it validated our beliefs."

Police Detective Inspector Warren Webber said a warrant would be issued in Queensland state for Watson's arrest. This would be handed to prosecutors, who would in turn approach Australian government lawyers, who would prepare and lodge an extradition request with the U.S. government. If that process goes ahead without problems, Watson may still be able to fight any extradition order in U.S. courts.

"There are lengthy legal procedures that are involved, but obviously we are keen they will be done as quickly as possible," Webber told reporters in Townsville.

What a tragedy for all involved. We will never know the real story based on the fact that only two people know really happened, husband and wife (who is never to speak again). It does make it difficult not to make assumptions about what happened when Mr. watson's stories doesn't match his computer or other divers who witnessed some of what was occurring. New diver going on a deep dive in current. The photo with the dive leader swimming to help her is very powerful. I just can't understand a diver, whether Rescue trained or not, just letting go of a loved one not knowing whether or not if she is alive or dead. His rate of ascent after releasing his new bride is suspect. I just hope that her family understands that just because of the indictment has been made he may never go to trial if he avoids being forced to face the court. I can't imagine him just giving up everything here and going where he is being charged with murder in Australia.

"But Glasgow said Tina Watson's father, Tommy Thomas, had given evidence of a possible motive. Thomas said his daughter told him that shortly before they were married, Gabe Watson asked his fiancee to increase her life insurance and change the policy to make him the sole beneficiary. Thomas said his daughter decided to lie to Watson that she had made the changes."

This paragraph to me is important- the daughter lied to the fiance to tell him she changed the policy. To me that means she had some reservation about something or was doing things just to please him. What person asks a new bride to do this anyway?

I also am glad she didn't change it- at least he didn't get what he wanted -

"But Glasgow said Tina Watson's father, Tommy Thomas, had given evidence of a possible motive. Thomas said his daughter told him that shortly before they were married, Gabe Watson asked his fiancee to increase her life insurance and change the policy to make him the sole beneficiary. Thomas said his daughter decided to lie to Watson that she had made the changes."

This paragraph to me is important- the daughter lied to the fiance to tell him she changed the policy. To me that means she had some reservation about something or was doing things just to please him. What person asks a new bride to do this anyway?

I also am glad she didn't change it- at least he didn't get what he wanted -

If she had been truthful with him and told him she hadn't changed her policy beneficiary she might still be alive today. He wouldn't have had a reason to kill her.

Telling him the truth, though probably wasn't an option in her mind, as he was a VERY controlling person according to her father.

I note MikeF is being somewhat silent now :)

Couple of points:

1. If I'm going to knock my wife off, can I call Mike (and others on this thread) as my expert witness?
2. Don't most PADI diver qualifications tail off at OW/AOW - most rescue divers (yes, I know, not all) are motivated and typically somewhat experienced so labouring the inexperienced point I don't believe added much value.
3. Finally, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Seriously though - even without the damning evidence, a VERY large cloud of doubt had to hang over this incident from the get go, and wilfully trying to believe innoncence can't be helpful, just as the other position isn't either.

Final point, hope they nail this guy. He sounds like the worst kind of scum, killing a bride and suing for distress. I can live with one of these pecadillos, but BOTH? I mean, come on...

Luckily, the planet's overpopulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom