Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that information, Bowlopetunias. It is good to recall the entire justification for that change. YouÃ×e basically said the same thing my instructor did. I'm newly certified myself, as I am a new Rescue Diver.

My hope is that I am one of the lot with brains. I took the class seriously because it is also relevant for me as a teacher and as a coach. As with anything, though, the skills one learns must be practiced and reviewed. I think this is more true for people like me who first get certified later in life. Try getting me to remember to do anything with a computer after I have learned a task function without me practicing the skill repeatedly and immediately.

I will endeavor to keep these skills up to date while hoping I never have to use them.

Cheers!

Froggs - it's in all in this thread somewhere. I did dip in to try to find it for you but couldn't find it and, well, I've already read the whole thread once. It's not something I want to do twice, assuming I live long enough.

I think it's fairly near the start. Happy hunting. The ascent was very slow though, although Watson claims this is because he was trying to get people's attention, while he was on the line up, of the accident (IIRC). No diver has been found, thus far, that will corroborated this (IIRC)

I've seen multiple references to Watson's "slow ascent". Does anyone have specifics on just how slow?

Hey,,,could it be that he will have an ascent named after him? A "Watson" ascent. ....:D
Ever hear about when somebody "McGiever's" something? Kind of the same thing. I can imagine it now---a "Watson" ascent would be a maximum of 1 foot per minute.:rofl3:

Hey,,,could it be that he will have an ascent named after him? A "Watson" ascent. ....:D
Ever hear about when somebody "McGiever's" something? Kind of the same thing. I can imagine it now---a "Watson" ascent would be a maximum of 1 foot per minute.:rofl3:

Nice idea! :)

Thanks for that information, Bowlopetunias. It is good to recall the entire justification for that change. YouÃ×e basically said the same thing my instructor did. I'm newly certified myself, as I am a new Rescue Diver.

My hope is that I am one of the lot with brains. I took the class seriously because it is also relevant for me as a teacher and as a coach. As with anything, though, the skills one learns must be practiced and reviewed. I think this is more true for people like me who first get certified later in life. Try getting me to remember to do anything with a computer after I have learned a task function without me practicing the skill repeatedly and immediately.

I will endeavor to keep these skills up to date while hoping I never have to use them.

Cheers!

:blinking: a bit off topic here but I can't resist. :rofl3::rofl3: anyone figured out I am pretty passionate about my my job? How many people are lucky enough to get up in the morning and teach a life skill that could help someone for years to come?:D Hey they pay me to talk.... and make people listen:rofl3: how good is that?

Two tricks I've used (and taught paramedics).

If you are getting too stressed, stop and check a pulse... you look like you are doing something intelligent and important but you are actually thinking..... DRABC or whatever sequence... buys you time to slow down and you think better that way.

If you are getting too emotional ask yourself..."If I was watching this on RESCUE 911 (or name the show) what would the paramedic (first aider) do? Then mentally write yourself into the script. You know they can make things look very real and everyone is familiar with playing roles. That may help you work from the brain instead of the heart. You need to take the emotions back later but if you can take the "emotional step back" you have a chance of functioning.

Finally remember everyone will die sooner or later. If it is their turn today and yours is the last voice they hear.. it is kind, reassuring and you take some of the fear and pain away from their last few minutes.... it is an awesome priviledge to do something that significant for another human being. The impact it has on their family knowing their loved one didn't die alone is significant too. Give it your best shot.... If they are unconscious no breathing, no pulse.... they are dead.. you can't make em worse but you might be able to give them a chance!

Sorry:shakehead:... I will put away my soap box now..... :dork2:slinks off to the corner....

BowlofPetunias, thanks for that off topic post. One of my daughters is an environmental compliance inspector, but she also works as an EMT and a beach lifeguard on weekends. I copied and sent her your post because your words described a depth of purpose in those activities that I think she would genuinely appreciate. I know I did.

Thanks,

NB

BowlofPetunias, thanks for that off topic post. One of my daughters is an environmental compliance inspector, but she also works as an EMT and a beach lifeguard on weekends. I copied and sent her your post because your words described a depth of purpose in those activities that I think she would genuinely appreciate. I know I did.

Thanks,

NB

:blush:aww shucks.... thanks for that... you made my day:blinking: I am pretty passionate about it and worry about annoying people when I "get out my soap box":doh2:

I have only followed this thread sporadically. I am planning on one or more other posts, but wanted to respond to this one out of order:

I have recently done a Rescue course, in Australia. In this course we were taught about our legal responsibility regarding rescuing other divers (whether we are Rescue certified or otherwise). I cannot find any information other than what my instructor taught to verify this however, and have no idea even how to find this in legislation. Anyway, I thought it is interesting in light of the fact that Gabe's story is that he attempted to rescue his wife but found it too dangerous to continue. If there are other people who have done or taught Rescue class in Australia I would be interested to know what they were taught about the legal responsibilities regarding rescuing other divers.

What I was told is this: if you see someone in trouble and in need of being rescued, you can ignore them completely and thereby you have no legal responsibility to help them out and can not be charged with anything. Or you can attempt to rescue them. If you make an attempt to rescue a person you must not give up half way through because if you do, i.e. you find it too hard or you think your life is in danger, then you can be prosecuted for manslaughter regardless as to the danger to your own life. I said in class this seemed a bit harsh (especially if you have to give up because your own life is in danger) and I was told if someone brings charges it is pretty much up to a court to decide if your life was in danger and if you performed the rescue properly so the court's view may not align with your own.

This has not been tested in court yet so I am not sure how successful a case would be. It appears Gabe could have been charged with manslaughter under Australian law regardless of his intentions - but I guess cops/lawyers/etc may not want to have the risk of a trial that has no precedent and therefore a very uncertain result.

I do not know anything about Australian law. I do, however, know a thing or two about California law and your understanding of the matter is within our "ballpark." I'd guess that Australian law is not a whole lot different, so you are basically pretty close.

The bottom line is that in California, and apparently in Australia, there is a "bright line" test: Unless you create the risk of harm you have no duty and can sit idly by and watch, without culpability. (When there is no duty, inquiries about skill and causation are irrelevant.) However, once you assume a duty, then the test is blurred and the courts will look at what a reasonably prudent person, similarly situated, would have done.

:blush:aww shucks.... thanks for that... you made my day:blinking: I am pretty passionate about it and worry about annoying people when I "get out my soap box":doh2:

Don't worry at all petunias :) Your knowledge in this area has been very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom