Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOOK SERIOUSLY, I'm not looking to get involved in any fight, but if you can sit there and say that you honestly wouldn't know how you would react to the dire events a LOVED one is experiencing then you have far greater problems than I. It appears that I'm not going to convince you of my actions past or present but being an Emergency Room nurse of 15 years and a EMT-I for 8 of those years I have far proven to myself that I am someone that wouldn't "ROCKET TO THE SURFACE" and then Chuckle that "I'm surprised I didn't get the bends" while the coroner is signing my wife's death certificate. The truth of the Matter was that this wasn't a cave rescue, not a wreck penetration rescue and on some of the dive boats i've been on a semi-trained free-diver could have at least attempted a more thoughtout and apparently more successful rescue then GABY here. I can assure you jviehe as God himself is my witness as I'm typing this I'm looking at my 2 year old and 6 month old Daughters as well as my wifes picture on the wall. I WOULD GO TO MY GRAVE PROTECTING MY FAMILY

I just think thats too easy say sitting at a computer in total safety with nothing going on. You might very well react like you want. But im not prepared to assume I know how anyone would react, and use that assumption to convict someone of murder.

Law5guy posted a few days ago:

I saw this was story on CNN yesterday on the Nancy Grace show:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Click both links as they are diffent videos.

Thanks for these videos, but the second was posted a few days ago on this forum - and we all had a good laugh at Nancy Grace's attempt to prove she knew about diving: "the oxygen tank", "the breathing device", etc. I definitely agree she was reading from cue cards made up by a non-diver and I totally agree with the post about wanting to throw a shoe at the TV, but it wasn't worth it...

As for the first video you posted, I wanted to barf when she "expressed her grief to the family"... violins, anyone? Pathetic.

But where Ms. Grace REALLY pissed me off is when she put thousands of potential divers off the sport, with her personal story about how she nearly drowned as a child and how TERRIFIED she was in learning to dive at the YMCA pool.

First - WHERE is her jounalistic integrity? The journalist is NEVER supposed to insert themselves into the story! It's supposed to be about the subject, NOT the journalist!

Second - so what? I, too learned to dive partly to get over a fear of water in my youth (and hell Nancy, I nearly drowned THREE times as a kid - the third time, I had to have Full CPR, including heart rescusitation). But you know what, Nancy? Even though I was scared that first time in the pool, I forced myself to get on with it and learned to dive - like SO many other people. No, diving is not for everyone, but for many of us who learned to confront our fears, it's WONDERFUL! How DARE she perpetuate the myth about how diving is so dangerous!

And third - OK, now I'm getting paranoid and snippy - did anyone else notice something weird in the wedding film in that first video? One side of the church is completely full, but on the other side of the church, the pews are nearly empty! What was that about? Which part of the wedding couple had no family (or friends...) to witness the "joyous event"? That's a bad sign even before the honeymoon...

Just my thoughts on a warm evening in Normandy.. (Peter, sorry I didn't reply sooner. No, I'm not French, I'm an American living in France. And as a lawyer, I always thought voir dire came from the Latin I learned as a child.)

Bonsoir à tous,
Trish

I agree and would gladly join the "I despise Nancy Grace" movement. There is no journalistic integrity any more, because there are very few journalists. All we have now is sensational, tabloid news programs. Sickening.

Ok, sorry for this, but I just can't go back and read 48 pages of postings.

What means is the diver alleged to have used to kill his wife? Just negligence when she had a problem, or something more devious?

I just think thats too easy say sitting at a computer in total safety with nothing going on. You might very well react like you want. But im not prepared to assume I know how anyone would react, and use that assumption to convict someone of murder.

Hey, convict the guy or don't, I'm more than objective than simply placing the guy in the slammer for the rest of his life based on his feeble attempt at saving the life of his Wife for Gods sake(sarcasm). Retrospectively if you would like, he is at the very least guilty of being an absolutely inept rescue diver. Like I said before this case could really go either way, one of those cases where we go to whatever after world you believe in and you ask them....who really killed JFK and did Gabe really kill his wife?
This thread took a dramatic turn when you implied that I might have launched the same feeble attempt at rescue if my wife was the one at life's end......I most certainly took offense to that. We all hear of folks running into burning buildings after love ones, lifting huge abounts of weight to save loved ones and given what we have heard from Gabe's pathetic attempts at rescue I believe that most of us are left scratching our heads. I will concede that I have NEVER been in similar situations but what I know about myself anything less that dying while trying would leave me in despaire for the rest of my life......If he is innocent, I hope he lives the rest of his life knowing that there was certaily more that he could have done and he failed miserably to love and protect.

I would suspect that if, God forbid My wife had somehow died on our honeymoon that I would have certainly remained somewhat close and at the very least felt I had some type of dept to repay to my inlaws for not upholding vows of marriage to love and protect.

Even when they are accusing you of murder? Wow, you are a saint. I would find that a little difficult to do.

No, I'm not French, I'm an American living in France. And as a lawyer, I always thought voir dire came from the Latin I learned as a child.)

Bonsoir à tous,
Trish

Ah, no wonder you have the good questions!

If you ever want to move to Palau, send me a PM. It's a great spot for a diving lawyer. (Though I bet France is pretty cool, too!)

Even when they are accusing you of murder? Wow, you are a saint. I would find that a little difficult to do.

OverKill - is the family accusing him of murder or is the gov't ? (not being sarcastic, I really don't know)

I am going to agree with Eric tho, I would give my life for my wife and children in a heartbeat -- no matter the situation, I'd sooner die trying than watch my wife die as I take a 2+ minute 40 foot ascent.

I recall reading: they tested where the body would have ended up if he was telling the truth, the tested his computer and it wouldn't beep, no one in a panic situation is going to out stretch both arms as the sink. He lied about his ascent, he lied to the family the she died in his arms. When he got out of the water he went directly into his story rather than screaming for help.....let's bring this thread back to discussing gabe and his murderous tendencies.....:wink:

Oh - keeping in touch with the family is too subjective, perhaps he didn't even like them to begin with.....all situations here are different and rediculas speculate. Me? I love my wifes family and part of it, I would absolutely stay in touch (if they accused me of murder....my attorney would force me to stay away)

Hey, convict the guy or don't, I'm more than objective than simply placing the guy in the slammer for the rest of his life based on his feeble attempt at saving the life of his Wife for Gods sake(sarcasm). Retrospectively if you would like, he is at the very least guilty of being an absolutely inept rescue diver. Like I said before this case could really go either way, one of those cases where we go to whatever after world you believe in and you ask them....who really killed JFK and did Gabe really kill his wife?
This thread took a dramatic turn when you implied that I might have launched the same feeble attempt at rescue if my wife was the one at life's end......I most certainly took offense to that. We all hear of folks running into burning buildings after love ones, lifting huge abounts of weight to save loved ones and given what we have heard from Gabe's pathetic attempts at rescue I believe that most of us are left scratching our heads. I will concede that I have NEVER been in similar situations but what I know about myself anything less that dying while trying would leave me in despaire for the rest of my life......If he is innocent, I hope he lives the rest of his life knowing that there was certaily more that he could have done and he failed miserably to love and protect.
I didnt imply that at all, only that you dont really know how you react, only how you would want to react, and as such, we know even less how someone else would act. Youre reading to much into it. This guy is basically being assaulted by the court tv community who are ready to execute him without a trial, and the divers here are basing that on an shoddy account of second hand information of how a guy acted in an unknown situation thousands of miles away, with little knowledge of the person or his relationshop with his new wife. Im not happy with that, and its something that happens to often in the media here in the US.

I didnt imply that at all, only that you dont really know how you react, only how you would want to react, and as such, we know even less how someone else would act. Youre reading to much into it. This guy is basically being assaulted by the court tv community who are ready to execute him without a trial, and the divers here are basing that on an shoddy account of second hand information of how a guy acted in an unknown situation thousands of miles away, with little knowledge of the person or his relationshop with his new wife. Im not happy with that, and its something that happens to often in the media here in the US.

Jviehe, It's hard to concede to you about what I would do and I apoligize for taking your statements too seriously, I have to believe that I would mount a much better resuce attempt. I will however agree 100% that sometime on these boards we find ourselves, will the vast wealth of experience and knowlege, that we find ourselves making hair trigger opinions and do indeed rush to judgement however lets not forget that the Australian goverment has been investigating this case since 2003.
I have forgotten that if using the innocent until proven guilty then This Gabe person has been faced with the agony of the loss of a loved one. That aside, His lack luster attempt and behavior after the fact does unfortunatly lends us to be more than skeptical. Fortunatly for me, My beliefs, teach me that I'm not the judge of his actions and any punishment he might receive during his lifetime palls in comparison to what he might be facing one day...nevertheless jviehe i'll try to be less sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom