Diver Indicted in 2003 GBR mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nancy Grace has as much dive experience as I do flying to Mars. Her constant misuse of terminology ( Oxygen valve) and (main breathing device that covers your mouth and nose). Please, she was reading from poor que cards.

yes ... exactly ... if he (the doctor) witnessed all this what did he do???
Have to say my reaction just a sentence into reading it was; what the heck is that guy (sounds like) just sitting there and just watching all this what he described as drama???

I’m not recalling the thread, maybe someone else will…it was asked if leave buddy already unaware - to go save or not.
The gist I remember, and pretty sure it was TS&M… aside from we aren’t supposed to lose contact with a buddy J and make the choice …the higher up take on it was to first regain contact with your buddy and then go to rescue together. Pretty much (my words) Buddies are forever, first and foremost.

So in light of all us PADI divers are twits and with generally poor skills and yadda yadda, it might have taken this Dr a while to 1- get into action. Then 2- regroup with buddy and get across they needed to do something (I think was also involved in the discussion). Then 3- maybe someone else had got there first.

Not that I know what I’m talking about, but that sure sounds like a good point Mike

“I went after her and got her to the surface but she was in full blown panic by then and the ascent was anything but controled or pretty and I don't know how long it took. Sometimes we were going up and sometimes we were going down. If all you had eas a snap shot in the middle you might not have been able to tell whether I was trying to save her or kill her.”

I haven’t seen any drama myself, wouldn’t be surprised if it could take me a bit of time to figure out what in the heck that was going on over there. (Vs other things I know what I’m seeing is going to happen – because I’ve seen it enough.) I mean, how often would we assume a bear hug is malignant in this happy go lucky PADI expanse of divers?

I mean, how often would we assume a bear hug is malignant in this happy go lucky PADI expanse of divers?

When one diver drops lifeless to the ocean floor and her buddy swims away to make a lesuirely ascent from 14m?

Nancy Grace has as much dive experience as I do flying to Mars. Her constant misuse of terminology ( Oxygen valve) and (main breathing device that covers your mouth and nose). Please, she was reading from poor que cards.

Ah good. So I wasn't the only one yelling at my TV screen lol. I woulda thrown a shoe....but it's a damn nice TV :lotsalove:

I saw that too, it doesn't really seem to be an appropriate description from the googled definitions I've found of 'florid'. Can anyone shed some light?

Agreed. I was certed through NAUI, and we even covered the basics (including actual practice) of rescue techniques in our regular OW class.

And on the note of life insurance stuff, I'm planning on being married in about a year, and fully intend on upping my life insurance policy. (fiancee has a son, we have student loans, my parents have some of my student loans as well) I want to make sure the people I love the most are taken care of. Maybe it's just me, but even being young (24) I still tend to think and plan way ahead.

Still think he's probably guilty though.

FYI I asked another Scuba Board member who hasn't been active on this thread but is a doctor for info on this. Since I was not given permission to give a name I won't but won't take credit for someone else's knowledge

Re: Question from another thread
I would imagine it means that there were many non-microscopic bubbles found in various places. I've never seen the autopsy of someone with DCS, so I'm not entirely sure what they see.

Bowlofpetunias understanding is that we offgass by filtering some of those bubbles through our lungs and this is going to happen on assent. If someone is not breathing on ascent they will not offgas to the same degree because they are not filtering so they will have more bubbles and those bubbles will expand more. What that means in this situation I think only confirms what was stated. She wasn't breathing as she was brought to the surface. But hey I am not the doctor here only a retired Paramedic and you know what happens to brain cells that don't get used......

FYI I asked another Scuba Board member who hasn't been active on this thread but is a doctor for info on this. Since I was not given permission to give a name I won't but won't take credit for someone else's knowledge

Re: Question from another thread
I would imagine it means that there were many non-microscopic bubbles found in various places. I've never seen the autopsy of someone with DCS, so I'm not entirely sure what they see.

Bowlofpetunias understanding is that we offgass by filtering some of those bubbles through our lungs and this is going to happen on assent. If someone is not breathing on ascent they will not offgas to the same degree because they are not filtering so they will have more bubbles and those bubbles will expand more. What that means in this situation I think only confirms what was stated. She wasn't breathing as she was brought to the surface. But hey I am not the doctor here only a retired Paramedic and you know what happens to brain cells that don't get used......

"Florid", put simply from the information I have been given, means the brick-red appearance that will be seen in a drowned person's lungs when examined at autopsy.

"Florid", put simply from the information I have been given, means the brick-red appearance that will be seen in a drowned person's lungs when examined at autopsy.
Could florid be something like burst alveoli – microscopic hemoglobin leaks?

From what I was told, due to the drowning process itself the lungs undergo "vasoconstriction" and become "hypertensive and oedematous". The salt water itself also causes a leakage of reddish fluid into the air spaces, but I may be oversimplifying as I'm not in the medical field.

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This Main Entry: flor·id
Pronunciation: 'flor-&d, 'flär-
Function: adjective
: fully developed : manifesting a complete and typical clinical syndrome <florid schizophrenia> <florid adolescent acne> —flor·id·ly adverb

You're right; on reading the coroner's report he was talking about the air embolism, not the lung appearance, but the information I gave above was correct regarding that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom