diver from Orlando missing while diving the Eagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The boat was spotted by the coast guard after it was reported missing. Because of the seas, they could not recover it and let it drift. My guess it's somewhere in NC by now. It was not a charter they went out on. It was a rental boat. Living in Key Largo, and working for a local dive shop, I can tell you that the seas were 4-5 that day.

Last edited:
Please forgive my intrusion on your board. I am not a diver at this time. This missing person is my friends husband. His name is Matt Milton. I am asking on my own behalf so I can gain understanding on this situation. I currently live in Savannah and while we are avid boaters I realize my knowledge of the Gulf Stream is minimal at best. The news outlets are not offering much information as to where their search efforts. I have read they are using a 15 mile radius and I also read on here a response saying the boat was spotted but not brought in because of the waves. I have so many questions because I just don't have the understanding of what it means to be missing in the ocean for such a long period of time. Can anyone tell me how the seas are over there? Would he be able to float for a period of time safely until found? Is there any chance the current could have swept him outside of the search zone and he's been pushed along the eastern side of the state? Again please forgive my lack of knowledge, we are all broken with the news he hasn't been found yet. I am just trying to gain perspective. Thank you in advance. LHN

LHN,

Going on what is mentioned in the previous post, the seas were 4-5ft at the time, so relatively rough. I am not sure what the weather and water temps are currently like in the area, but did see the man who was rescued was treated for mild hypothermia. This is by far the most immediate risk I can think of for someone drifting in this situation. How long someone can tolerate drifting varies from situation to situation, but it largely depends on the type of exposure protection he is wearing, such as how thick his wetsuit is (or if wearing a drysuit), his body fat percentage, water/air temps, if he has an insulated hood on, activity level, and general mental stamina to cope with the situation. Dehydration is also another major issue as the recommended daily intake of water for men is 64 oz. In general I would say the environment is your most immediate threat, leading to hypothermia, dehydration, and exhaustion.

To answer another question, yes, he could have been swept outside of their search area, or they may have missed him when searching in the rough seas. There are a lot of factors at play here, but if you are drifting at shoulder level in the water, not wearing anything bright, no surface marker buoy to signal with, no light or strobe to gain attention, and the seas are rough, the likelihood you will be seen is diminished. However, its really not possible for him to be swept up the eastern side of the state because the circulation in the gulf along the west coast moves from north to south so he isn't going against the current. The Gulf Stream flows up the east coast of florida between the coast and the bahamas, so this is the likely direction of travel.

Don't lose hope, anything is possible. As you can see this board is very concerned with diving accidents and a swift positive resolution is always hoped for.

This is not the seas or temperatures to be missing 24 hours in the Gulf Stream. It was kicking NW on Saturday, but the wind has backed NE and I'm sure the gulf stream up that way is a total mess. Has the boat been spotted?

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2014 at 02:31 PM ----------

Monroe County Sheriff's Office: Orlando man missing after dive trip

Orlando man missing after dive trip

One man is missing after a dive trip which went wrong over the weekend.

The missing man, 32 year old Matthew Milton of Orlando was in the Florida Keys with his brother-in-law, 35 year old Jeffrey Stewart. The two rented a boat Saturday morning, planning several dives for the day. Stewart told Deputy Nelson Sanchez they were a mile south of Crocker Reef and were planning their last dive of the day in that location around 11 a.m. because they knew the weather was supposed to turn rough. They both entered the water for the dive and they took the anchor to the bottom to set it securely. At the end of the dive they looked for the anchor line so they could follow it to the surface. They could not find the line.

Stewart said they surfaced and could see the boat drifting away from them. They began to swim after it. After swimming for at least an hour, the two men had not caught up with the boat and they became separated from each other as well.

Stewart said he could no longer see Milton, but he saw a dive boat on what he thought was the wreck of the Eagle so he began swimming toward it, yelling in an attempt to get their attention. It appears no one on the boat heard him, however and the dive boat left before he could reach it. He finally did reach the wreck and was able to hang on to a mooring buoy. At 7 p.m., the company that rented the boat to the men called the Coast Guard to report them overdue. The rental company told the Coast Guard the wreck of the Eagle was one of the destinations the two men had discussed. At 10 p.m. the Coast Guard reportedly reached the wreck of the Eagle and found Stewart still clinging to the buoy. He was treated for a mild case of hypothermia.

The Coast Guard continued searching for Milton throughout Saturday night and all day on Sunday. They are still reportedly searching for Milton today.

Last I heard, the boat had not been found.

This is very sad, but not a surprise given rough seas, no one in the boat, and as far as we can tell no smb or other markers on the divers.

If there is any wind, there is no way somebody swimming is going to catch a drifting boat.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond LandonL, your insight is great and I appreciate it. Being boaters we have no clue the skill it takes to be a diver or all the necessary equipment/precautions that are needed to have safe dives. The closest situation we have ever come to something like this was when a local divers boat had floated, my husband just happened to be there and saw him surface. He was able to pick him up and bring him to his boat. I can only imagine it's a much more dangerous situation in the Gulf versus here in Savannah. The hypothermia is of great concern. I wish there was something I could do. Thank you all for being so kind and considerate allowing me to ask questions. I wish you all safe dives. We will continue hoping for a miracle. Again thank you all for your insight and expertise.

I also appreciate your time and responses in this thread. I am a friend and co-worker of Matt and with the minimal media coverage we have been looking for any answers, help or updates on the situation. My diving knowledge is minimal (PADI certifed and 4 dives on a trip to aruba a few years back) and understand the odds are stacked against Matt but he is one of the toughest people I know so from a mental capacity I have full faith in him. I know they're still out searching and waves were 8-10 last night so chances are slimming. We ask you please keep him in your thoughts and prayers and we hope he comes back home soon.

Hoping and praying for a miracle!!!
I also appreciate your time and responses in this thread. I am a friend and co-worker of Matt and with the minimal media coverage we have been looking for any answers, help or updates on the situation. My diving knowledge is minimal (PADI certifed and 4 dives on a trip to aruba a few years back) and understand the odds are stacked against Matt but he is one of the toughest people I know so from a mental capacity I have full faith in him. I know they're still out searching and waves were 8-10 last night so chances are slimming. We ask you please keep him in your thoughts and prayers and we hope he comes back home soon.

My understanding from a facebook post from a loved one of Matt is that he was wearing a dry suit.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2014 at 09:24 AM ----------

ef3ae4bc9742975b46369a5a50e7762d.jpg

If it is the case that he has a dry suot and BC, there is still a good possibility that he has not succombed to Hypothermia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom