Diver from Northern CA , OEM for Machining parts, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linghunt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all, I thought I was on this forum, but realized it slipped thru my forum library.

I have been diving on the Northern CA coastline since 1987.

I lost my buddies spear gun off my boat one day and after replacing it with high retail cost, I got into making my own parts. I

have been building up tools and equipment for 20+ years now.

Business climate turned my shop focus towards local companies for which I am an Engineering Consultant.

Economy has slowed down my workload in consulting, so I'm back to completing old jobs and ideas in this market.

Pole spears, tips and diving gear is still my main desire.

-Linghunt. (John)

Sam, I tend to make new parts based on my needs and ideas. DIY spearo divers are part of the custom work I do along with repairing parts (sheared off shafts etc).

Local shops tend to have minimum costs, so this doesn't tend to be practical for simple parts. I do that work as a service not a money maker, for that is the reason that got me going with this. I also get to buy fancy tools including CNC's.

-Linghunt

Last edited:
Well golly----lee!
The late model Charlie Sturgil of NorCal

A spear fisherman! I detest "Spearo!" I may have a simple brass turning project for you in the near future.

There seems to be a need for a good effective Ling point; a modified Samson or a Cressi star...ever get down to Pismo?

SDM

Send me a sketch,

I only shoot what my family can eat, I don't like freezing it. I'm one of them Abalone Divers that rarely takes a limit, I just look for a big one and get just a few each year for friends. Better recreation than golfing. Can't even make soup out those balls. lol

I got a couple tips on drawing board for Lings and similiar fish. Working them thru a couple technical issues. Not been to Pismo. Been to Channel Islands for Bug diving some 10 years ago.

I only shoot what my family can eat, I don't like freezing it. I'm one of them Abalone Divers that rarely takes a limit, I just look for a big one and get just a few each year for friends. Better recreation than golfing. Can't even make soup out those balls. lol

I got a couple tips on drawing board for Lings and similiar fish. Working them thru a couple technical issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My kind of a MAN!

When I become really old ==really old I might, just might take up chasing a little ball around a horse pasture or drowning worms--but that will be the day!

Look forward to your ling points

Do you know who Charlie Sturgil was? Check out Sturgil Spear fishing..

SDM

Sam, I heard the name before, I looked him up and lots of good information. He's a very interesting person.

I was thinking it was a reference to Sturgeon's mill, but spelling was off.

Sturgeon's Mill Restoration Project in Sonoma County

Got last part out of CNC today for Pole Spear, going to hit the water in the morning to do some testing and grab a couple abalones. My other Dive Buddy took my boat out some 50 miles north of me near Fort Bragg, he was scuba diving with a new diver who is local fireman. They had a great time, and got my boat back to shore.

I get to free dive off the rocks, water is pretty calm now for this area, so no biggy. I'll post some pics of spear once I figure it out for this web site.

Go figure, I make so many spear tips, and when I need one I have to use an old damage beat up junk. I guess it's in line with the mechanic in town, his car is the one running rough. I've had divers talk me out of tip before. -John

Sturgil...won the second International Spear Fishing meet in 1951 with one of his legendary pole spears. The Fathomares Spearfishing Club of SoCal have an annual meet in his honor-- only pole spears!

I foresee a need for a good well made ling/halibut point. I liked and used the Samson ...the more worn down the better, They were the best points of their era.

Are you coming down for The SCUBA Show next month?

SDM

Sam,

I was not planning on the SCUBA Show.

I was looking up Samson tips. I think actually have one in my collection, mine has 3 wings at 120 degrees. The material in my tip was not very hard, did not really think much of it. You wouldn't happen to be baja haha from other forums? Same SDM

Yep same SDM== You have possibly a JBL (very soft) the point will bend and burr after use---or a Cresssi star (aka SCUBA Pro =can't recall name -same point) medium hardness point and finally Samson very very hard. Herb use to demonstrate the point by driving it into a piece of 1/4 sheet steel..The Samson has a cabling attached to it and uses a bastard thread 1/4 X ??? --- all are three wing points , JBL smallest Samson largest SDM

Back
Top Bottom