Diver fights off 12-foot shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, I'm just thinking out loud. Neither you nor I knows anything more than the other, so......?

TGreene.. you seem to be so utterly clueless.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I will try to help you out here. This is what you are missing:

TACT
Noun 1.a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.

You have none just in case you were at all curious. Have fun doing what you do best.

the release and publicity of the pictures and video is NOT GOOD for the sport of spearfishing (as evidenced by this thread).

Possibly something else "you people" need to understand is that many in the spearfishing community are not happy about the publicity generated by this situation. The guys who were involved in this single incident have taken a lot of heat from their peers, even though they are well respected in the community and are very experienced.

That, to me, is good news....do you have any idea of the rationale for releasing the pictures and video? If this has been answered already please disregard.

Anyone checked Spearboard for more info?

*Edit* Note to self: never post before reading the whole thread.

Last edited:
TGreene.. you seem to be so utterly clueless. They took 2 hrs to kill the shark. The ONLY defensive shot was the first one. They would have to go back to the boat multiple times to get new shafts and load the guns to contine delivering shafts to the shark's head. After the shark was shot with one shaft, the danger (for the most part) was over.

These are the words Ive been looking for. The divers spent much more effort killing the shark than it would take to get away from the shark if they were in danger. And the only danger I can see is them aggravating the shark wandering around in its own territory.

Pulling a thread to "scrub" it just because senior posters & sponsors were wrong and looked like idiots when the parties involved told the truth is simply unethical. Surely these people with all the intelligence & dive training are responsible enough to edit their own posts or retract/apologize. Some had thousands of posts.

Interesting that other threads remain. I will not resort to name calling but the guilty parties should step up, not run and hide when they made a mistake and posted before researching the truth and getting the facts.

Moderators.....you should be ashamed of your involvement also. Scrub away....and continue being a legend in your own minds. The brother of the man involved actually joined and posted to this thread. Put it back please. It is obvious from reading this thread that many did not get to see the posts from "arm chair expert"...the brother of the man involved and friend of all on the boat.

Or does one have to buy sponsorship to get their mistakes "scrubbed" and removed? (Sarcasm intended)

Thank you.

Last edited:
I had a 10 ft. bull shark hassle me for 20 minuets. I kicked it hit it, punched it and it came back 10 or more times. Finely I gave it my fish and it left. I wonted my Yellow tell. I shoot the fish but not the shark.

These are the words Ive been looking for. The divers spent much more effort killing the shark than it would take to get away from the shark if they were in danger. And the only danger I can see is them aggravating the shark wandering around in its own territory.

I've tried to explain it over and over, but still the obvious escapes some people. They shot the shark because it threatened them and they had no time to exit the water and the boat could not come to them in time. The two hours was what it took to give the shark a dignified death after it (unfortunately) had been mortally wounded. Obviously they could have cut the line, get on the boat and go shot more fish elsewhere if they did not care what happened to the tiger shark.

Tiger sharks can be very dangerous. They have especially large jaws and teeth (for their size relative to most any other shark). They COMMONLY take full grown loggerhead turtles. Finding complete skulls inside tiger sharks is not uncommon. From what I have seen, there is not enough information for anyone to form a strong opinion that the shark was not threatening.

Absolutely EVERYTHING about their story is utter BS.

-Tim

I was disgusted by the interviewer's pandering to these two guys and touting them as some kind of heroes for killing a tiger shark?! The whole story to justify their action sounds contrived to be believable. Aaaaagh! What a waste of a beautiful animal.

I too believe in karma.

For what it is worth, when they look at a thread, they are not removing silly or stupid things people have said. They are removing the inappropriate content because some people (not limited to but definitely including myself and your "sibling hero") allowed the thread to get out of control. I believe most people are trying to NOT allow this thread to get to that same level because it is in the Basic Scuba Diving Forum. Let the staff do their job and if you have an issue with a sponsor :)popcorn:) or another member, either use the wonderful ignore function or report them. Do not try to turn a legitimate thread into that which they are trying to correct.

And by the way, I am not sure who you think is hiding, but most just had the good sense to realize that the thread was going into the toilet and did not want to lower themselves to that level. I wish I had had the same good sense.

Pulling a thread to "scrub" it just because senior posters & sponsors were wrong and looked like idiots when the parties involved told the truth is simply unethical. Surely these people with all the intelligence & dive training are responsible enough to edit their own posts or retract/apologize. Some had thousands of posts.

Interesting that other threads remain. I will not resort to name calling but the guilty parties should step up, not RUN and HIDE when they made a mistake and posted before researching the truth and getting the facts.

Moderators.....you should be ashamed of your involvement also. Scrub away....and continue being a legend in your own minds. The brother of the man involved actually joined and posted to this thread. Put it back please. It is obvious from reading this thread that many did not get to see the posts from "arm chair expert"...the brother of the man involved and friend of all on the boat.

Or does one have to buy sponsorship to get their mistakes "scrubbed" and removed? (Sarcasm intended)

Thank you.

Then I will give the staff the benefit of the doubt. It seems strange however that the thread actively mentioning the SB bias against spearos is removed, while this and the poll thread remain and remain without the accurate information. Sportsmen need not be censored, and this seems a very good case of censorship of one ideology over another. We shall see when it is put back. I think that the staff would serve the community better by emailing the offenders and requesting edit or retraction vs. the nuclear option of thread removal.

Back
Top Bottom