Diver eaten by shark(s) on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only hope this man drowned as a result of shallow water blackout while freediving before being dismembered by sharks.

Hopefully the autopsy will yield the cause of death.

In any case this a horrific event for his family members.

Gilligan:
Hopefully the autopsy will yield the cause of death..
Not conclusive, but the 1st article posted by Mike_S aabove , from Saturday Mercury News did say "Manoukian, a forensic pathologist, said this was his fourth autopsy of a shark attack victim. He said the fact that the kidney was congested with blood indicated that Moore probably drowned and was then attacked by sharks, as opposed to bleeding to death while alive."

H2OPhotoPro:
That is very tragic and sad to hear. Best wishes to all his family and friends.

I understand your intent, but I believe you would want to give someone your deepest sympathies or condolences rather than best wishes upon hearing of the death of their loved one.

Sunday's Maui News stated the preliminary autopsy results by the Medical Examiner indicate the man was dead before his body was attacked by sharks.

Drowning or heart attack were reported to be the two most likely causes of death.

I thought the forensic bit about the kidneys congested with blood was interesting. A great percentage of the body's blood volume is in the kidneys at any given time...20% or something like that?
Of course, unless he had bled out first. I think it is important for the cause of death to come out.
This notion that he died beforehand should be soothing on a couple different fronts. For the family, it must be less horrific. As Hawaiian divers, to imagine sharks attacking as we go finning along is frightening and the truth is, it does not usually happen that way. I remind myself over and over that the regular treadmill time, as mundane as it sounds, is the biggest diving safety measure for most of us. I struggle to keep sharks off my danger radar. So many diver deaths are eventually ruled heart attacks.

Desert_Diver:
Although I understand the sense of what you are saying about Timothy Dexter (his stage name was Treadwell), you have to remember that he also got Amie Huguenared and two grizzlies killed. To die doing something you enjoy is one thing. To get innocent bystanders killed is stretching the limit severely.

Well that's certainly true. In a great many ways he was no hero and he clearly had some loose screws but you have to respect the guy for choosing his destiny instead of letting life just go on until it was unbearable (so to speak) :).

And just to put one detail straight, Huguenard wasn't a hostage. She chose to go and she had an opportunity to bail on that expedition and chose to continue despite what I think can be described as an intuition that it was getting derailed.... It's sure that Treadwell had something to do with putting her in danger but from the little I know about it it doesn't look like he forced her.

R..

Diver0001:
Well that's certainly true. In a great many ways he was no hero and he clearly had some loose screws but you have to respect the guy for choosing his destiny instead of letting life just go on until it was unbearable (so to speak) :).

And just to put one detail straight, Huguenard wasn't a hostage. She chose to go and she had an opportunity to bail on that expedition and chose to continue despite what I think can be described as an intuition that it was getting derailed.... It's sure that Treadwell had something to do with putting her in danger but from the little I know about it it doesn't look like he forced her.

R..
You are quite correct in that Amie Huegenard was not a hostage. Although, in my mind she didn't understand the risks involved either.

The point I was trying to make (obviously badly), was that the analogy between Tim and the diver in Hawaii was not a good one. The diver from San Jose risked only his own life and made the decision based on his experience. Tim Dexter, on the other hand, risked his girl friend's life and also got the bears killed that he professed to love.

And to thouroughly confuse the issue, I agree that to die doing something you love is NOT a tragedy. Dying in rest home, drooling down your chest, not knowing your name, or anyone else's name in the room is the real tragedy. Just try not to take anyone else with you.

The news this morning in San Jose, KNTV, indicated that the diver had drowned first.
They also indicated that you are 10 times more likely to get struck by lightning than you are to be attacked by a shark. I feel very sad for his wife and family, my heart goes out to them.

My deepest sympathies to the family. Even with a good float plan it's always a good idea to enter the water in pairs no matter what you're doing, you just never know what might happen.
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom