Diver eaten by shark(s) on Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
On Thursday 2/23 a 45 year old male visitor from California was snorkeling/free diving in the late afternoon off Makena Landing, Maui. He was reported to be a Divemaster as well. When he did not return the Coast Guard searched for him until dark.

On Friday 2/24 a kayak tour guide found a human torso in the ocean in the same vicinity as the missing man. A further search by Fire Dept. and Lifeguard personnel found additional body parts.
The Medical Examiner stated the wounds were consistent with a shark attack.

It is not known at this time if the man died of another cause prior to being dismembered by a shark(s).

A very tragic and gruesome incident.

That is very tragic and sad to hear. Best wishes to all his family and friends.

Ouch....

I know this is the accidents forum so this post will probably get pulled but I think I'd rather be eaten by a shark doing the thing that gives my life focus than to die from a lot of the other things people die from.....

In a sense I feel that dying like Timothy Treadwell is better than dying old.

R..

well, we were posting about this in Hawaii Ohana and one guy sounded a bit traumatized, he kept going on about the dive flag. Poor guy. I think the locals were really affected by this. If you had a speargun, I think they will usually take off. I am going to bet he died of a heart attack or something else. Although, there was a big shark bumping some kayakers over there. Boy, we have a lotta sharks lately.

Same paper published these. One article says maybe shark, the other says may have been drowning first.

San Jose man may have drowned before shark attack
By Dana Hull
Mercury News

By many accounts, Anthony Moore was an experienced diver. The 45-year-old San Jose engineer left a detailed ``float plan'' with his wife before heading out for a free-diving excursion off the south coast of Maui Thursday.
Then something went terribly wrong. When he failed to return as scheduled, his wife called 911, prompting a massive search by the US Coast Guard and Maui authorities.
On Friday morning, a kayaker discovered parts of Moore's shark-bitten body off the coast near Makena. The coroner's office received three different sections of remains: a pelvis and lower extremities. A Coast Gaurd official said Saturday that Moore's wife identified her husband by a lanyard that included his rental car key.
``We're not able to determine the cause of death,'' said Dr. Tony Manoukian, a coroner's physician, from the morgue at Maui Memorial Medical Center Saturday. ``We can't exclude the possibility that he was dead at the time of the attack.''
Manoukian, a forensic pathologist, said this was his fourth autopsy of a shark attack victim. He said the fact that the kidney was congested with blood indicated that Moore probably drowned and was then attacked by sharks, as opposed to bleeding to death while alive.
``We see shallow water blackouts and drowning more frequently than shark attacks,'' said Manoukian, who said that DNA testing or recovering the skull and dental records would be required to positively identify the body.
``It may have been more than one species of shark,'' Manoukian said. ``But we have no evidence that it was anything other than a tiger or reef shark.''
Moore was an engineer at Code Green Networks of Sunnyvale.
``He was very well liked, and he'll be missed,'' said Bob Verheecke, who recently joined the company as Chief Financial Officer

Shark may have killed S.J. man
By Sandra Gonzales
Mercury News

A kayaker near a Hawaiian beach Friday found shark-bitten human remains that may belong to a San Jose diver who was reported missing by his wife, authorities said.
The diver, identified by the U.S. Coast Guard as Anthony Moore, 45, was reported missing by his wife about 7 p.m. Thursday after he failed to return from a free-diving excursion off Makena Landing on the south coast of Maui, authorities said.
Moore apparently had left to go diving about 3 p.m. Thursday and was expected back at 5. When he didn't return, his wife contacted the emergency center in Maui, which launched a search about 9 p.m. with the aid of a Coast Guard helicopter and a 25-foot boat. The search, conducted along with the Maui police and fire departments, was based along Polo Beach to Nuku'ele Point and offshore in the same area. It lasted through midnight Thursday and began again at dawn Friday.
Moore's rental car, meanwhile, was found about 7:30 p.m. Thursday, unattended in a parking lot at Makena Landing.
Then, about 9 a.m. Friday, a kayaker reportedly found body parts -- and diving gear including goggles and fins -- about 400 yards off Makena Landing. The remains were taken to the Maui Memorial Medical Center morgue, where an examination found injuries consistent with shark bites, police said. It is unclear, however, whether the diver had drowned before the shark attack or whether the cause of death was the shark attack.
An autopsy is scheduled for today to confirm the identity of the remains.
Petty Officer Michael De Nyse on Friday said the Coast Guard would continue searching until the coroner conclusively identified the remains.
``We are actively searching,'' De Nyse said.
De Nyse described Moore as an avid fan of free diving -- an underwater sport in which no breathing apparatus is used. De Nyse said Moore was athletic and frequented that particular spot.
De Nyse said Moore had provided his wife with an accurate ``float plan,'' an account of his likely whereabouts, which aided the search crew in retracing his diving path.
The last fatal shark attack in Hawaiian waters occurred in 2004, off Maui.

Very tragic. Be careful over there Catherine.

Diver0001:
Ouch....

I know this is the accidents forum so this post will probably get pulled but I think I'd rather be eaten by a shark doing the thing that gives my life focus than to die from a lot of the other things people die from.....

In a sense I feel that dying like Timothy Treadwell is better than dying old.

R..
Although I understand the sense of what you are saying about Timothy Dexter (his stage name was Treadwell), you have to remember that he also got Amie Huguenared and two grizzlies killed. To die doing something you enjoy is one thing. To get innocent bystanders killed is stretching the limit severely.

well, this man was not endangering anyone and you know when you get in....the chance is very, very small. So I hope everyone doesn't get to worried because a heart attack is the more probable scenario.

The family must be going through hell right now. It's a tragic event. I feel very sorry for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom