Diver drowns while collecting golf balls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need any water to die from CO poisoning. Looks like he was using a gas engine driven compressor
Yep, your home heater, fireplace, etc can kill ya. My home bud was napping with his fireplace burning when his home CO detector went off - his only chance of waking up. His old store detector also went off one day. Even all electric homes need them, and they need to be replaced every few years. See manufacture spec.
Dandy Don once bubbled about using a carbon monoxide tester on any mix you breathe.

Words to the wise. Get one and use it. The life you save may well be your own or the life of someone you care about.
I test every tank, even from the best sources as it's a good habit. CO is much more dangerous as depth. Most cases are probly shrugged off as traveler's flu, most CO deaths are probly written off as drownings - no tests done in most countries as that's bad for tourism, and DAN admits to not knowing how bad it is. I create enough of my own risks; I want my air better than Trust Me! Pocket CO - Miniature Carbon Monoxide Detector and Dosimeter
I have a CO tester (the one Don recommended) and it works great, but don't beleive it would help with a hookah rig, since what you're breathing depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Terry
Nope, what killed him was not having a qualified tender.
...prohibiting this kind of behaviour.

While atypical of commercial diving operations, the retrieval of golf balls from a commercial golf facility by contract constitutes a commercial diving operation, thus falls under the U.S. Federal regulations & standards governing commercial diving operations.

This sad event underscores the primary reason these regs. were created - to prevent the injury &/or death of individuals unprepared to participate in commercial diving applications.

Regards,
DSD
I don't guess we know exactly who is responsible for the equipment? I hope it is a company is very good liability insurance, and that the widow has a mad dog attorney.

My prayers go out to his family. Everyone has his or her own opinion, however, PLEASE for the love of all DON'T BE DISRESPECTFUL IN YOUR REPLIES........!

My prayers go out to his family. Everyone has his or her own opinion, however, PLEASE for the love of all DON'T BE DISRESPECTFUL IN YOUR REPLIES........!
Hi TDL

I don't think anyone means such at all. This is covered in the description and Special Rules of this forum but still comes up often. We discuss accidents there in hopes of preventing similar losses in others, and while we may be very sad about the loss - emotional posts are prohibited in this forum to avoid confusion, even tho that is loosely enforced.

If you knew the lost diver, please do feel encouraged to start a Memorial thread in Passings. I certainly agree that it was a sad loss, hitting close to home to happen to a Texas family, but I guess my outrage at his employer/contractor would be inappropriate in that thread.

More info at top of forum...
Accidents and Incidents This forum is for the discussion of diving Accidents and Incidents. Please read the message at the top of the forum before posting threads or responses. Memorial threads can be posted in the Passings forum.
Link to Special rules - Please Read

DandyDon - quick question: how do you test the tank? Do you just crank the valve before you rig up? (Dumb question, I know -- but wanted to make sure I understood).

Have experienced a gas leak in a rental home before -- made it to the front porch, but if it had happened while I was sleep, I'd still be sleeping -- the permanent kind.

Thanks in advance.

DandyDon - quick question: how do you test the tank? Do you just crank the valve before you rig up? (Dumb question, I know -- but wanted to make sure I understood).

Have experienced a gas leak in a rental home before -- made it to the front porch, but if it had happened while I was sleep, I'd still be sleeping -- the permanent kind.

Thanks in advance.

The CO detector does not detect natural gas, only Carbon Monoxide. It's used by placing the dector in a zip-lock bag then adding air from your tank.

If you want something for your home, there are combination Smoke/Fire/CO/Natural Gas detectors available at most hardware stores.

Terry

I used to free dive for golf balls as a kid. We made a few bucks and most ponds were small the idea of a dive buddy seemed silly. I guess that was the stupidity of youth.

Sorry, I realized that my post was confusing.. I didn't intend to imply that the CO tester would test for gas.. I was just relaying an example of another type of potential bad incident.

Thanks for explaining Web Monkey!!

I'm a little confused on this and not very familiar with a hooka set up. How did he end up breathing in CO2 and how could it have been prevented?

I'm a little confused on this and not very familiar with a hooka set up. How did he end up breathing in CO2 and how could it have been prevented?

A hooka is a gasoline powered air compressor in an intertube. It has a regulator hose attached with a 2nd stage. As long as the engine is running it pumps air to the diver. This eliminates the need for a tank.

If the wind was blowing the exaust fumes into the air intake the diver will get a lot of CO in the air he breaths.

Think about running your car in the garage. Exaust fumes kill.

Thanks in advance.
WebMonkey answered your question it seems. Every home, even all electric homes, should have CO detectors along with smoke alarms, with the purchase and expiration dates written on them. See brochure for how long to trust yours.

For diver's air, a much lower CO content can be harmful because of the increase of effect at depth. I use this one: Pocket CO - Miniature Carbon Monoxide Detector and Dosimeter

Natural gas, propane, and I think butane are required to have odor added since a gas leak killed a large number of kids in a Texas school many years ago.

A hooka is a gasoline powered air compressor in an intertube. It has a regulator hose attached with a 2nd stage. As long as the engine is running it pumps air to the diver. This eliminates the need for a tank.

If the wind was blowing the exaust fumes into the air intake the diver will get a lot of CO in the air he breaths.

Think about running your car in the garage. Exaust fumes kill.
True, even for shallow dives like this one. For deeper dives, worse. DAN admits that we do not know how many drownings are actually from CO poisioning as destinations outside of the US are not likely to test, even less likely to let the problem be known - bad for business. Many cases of travelers flu could be close calls...?

Back
Top Bottom