Suggestion Diver Down Flyer for Florida Marinas Project Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DandyDon

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I brought this quote over from the Accidents forum where the death of a free diver being struck by a boat is being discussed...
This is a tragic incident and my condolences to the family and friends of the diver. I had a close call the same day off of Hollywood Beach. I have had so many close calls over the years it amazes me that nothing has been done to better educate boaters to the significance of dive flags. IMHO every marina, boat ramp and marine related store should have informative dive flag posters on their walls.
Totally agree! The government isn't going to do this, tho, so whom do we ask...?

I've read of a number of near hits and a few hits of divers and free divers by boats being piloted & jet skis ridden by people who don't know what a Diver Down flag is or means. Since it is so very easy for tourists to rent boats in the hurricane state, I wonder if this could be a good project for Scubaboard.com - since no one else is going to do it? I am not in a position to help distribute and post the flyers, but I'd be glad to Pay Pal donate to the fund. I guess the Florida members would need to be the ones to make this work, but as I am an outsider - I don't want to post this there. If it's a good idea, perhaps a Conch would like to take it to the Florida forum...??

Just for discussion here, perhaps ScubaBoard would like to organize the printing of flyers something like below, to be laminated, then taken to marinas, yacht clubs, and anywhere else a boat or jet ski can be rented. Perhaps Scubaboard could set up a special Pay Pal donation fund to accept money to finance the posters, and perhaps the Conch members here would be interested in taking these to needed location and posting? I have posted other flyers enough to know that the only way to get them up is to walk in with the flyer, heavy duty thumb tacks, and a small hammer ask for permission, then nail them up yourself...

Comments...??

In case you didn't know this...
This is the Diver Down Flag - flown by boats with divers or snorkelers
in the the water, smaller versions maybe towed by the divers.

Do Not Approach - Stay Away!!

dive-flag-240.gif

And this Safety Sausage signals a diver in the water.
Do not approach or use as turning buoy!

SafetySausage.gif

Provided by www.ScubaBoard.com

What do ya think...??

I think the sign should include a divers down flag, and the regulation as written providing the exact rules, and penalty for a violation.

I also think that without Government support and backing, or true buy in from the people who own the docks and launches the flyer's will be removed likely within days of posting.

Laminated 8x10's paper signs are not going to cut it. What is needed is hardboard/wood permanent signs posted at strategic locations where boaters enter the slip or launch area.

I think it's idealistic, but unrealistic.

Why not require a boating license where boaters must take a test, and have to be able to identify the alpha and diver down flag, and know the minimum distances they are required "BY LAW" to maintain from a diver... as well as other boater safety issues??

If they are required by law to maintain a minimum distance, why isn't there any education regarding this law?

Doesn't this also apply nationwide? It probably should in our local Arizona lakes where diveflags are regularly used by jet-skiers as targets.

Since divers here are so much in the minority compared to boaters I don't think this situation is going to change anytime soon.

btw, shouldn't it be: use as a turning buoy. (course I don't speak Texan :))

sjspeck:
Doesn't this also apply nationwide? It probably should in our local Arizona lakes where diveflags are regularly used by jet-skiers as targets.

Since divers here are so much in the minority compared to boaters I don't think this situation is going to change anytime soon.

btw, shouldn't it be: use as a turning buoy. (course I don't speak Texan :))
Thanks - typo corrected.

I'd love to see a thorough government action, wooden signs unlawful to remove, and nationwide, but all that is even more ambitious than I suggested - probably more unrealistic. This would be a start - more than nothing anyway.

Thanks for your comments, fellows. :wink:

I think the sign should include a divers down flag, and the regulation as written providing the exact rules, and penalty for a violation.
Nice idea, Ron. Thanks. :thumb:

All it takes is for the marine patrol to make enforcement a priority. They are all over divers if they dont have a flag. They pull right up, in gear, to a boat with a dive flag, to check divers when they come up. The dive flag provides no protection from anyone.

If word gets out that there are big fines for ignoring dive flags, it will stop. Currently everyone knows enforcement is lax, maybe a warning.

Most boaters know what the dive flag is, if it inconveniences them they ignore it. There are just a lot of rude, stupid people out there, stupid not ignorant.

Then again the law says you can approach a dive flag at idle speed, nice and quiet so the divers don't hear you.

Education won't cure attitude, and there is a lot of bad attitude with boaters. It's not just divers, they have no respect for other boaters. Their rule of the road is "tonnage counts" One of the boat forums had a thread on wakes, the general consensus was if there's not a government no-wake sign, to hell with the fisherman, homeowners with boats at the dock and erosion-no mention was made of courtesy.

Education is always helpful. We have been talking about this for a couple years now in the Florida Conch forum, but so far have not gotten anywhere beyond talking about it.
Taking the next step is what we need to do. We needent worry about getting posters/sighns/flyers to every boat ramp. One step at time. Start here and work from point one.
Design a universal sign that eventually will be used throughout the state.
Research what we need to do to get a sign at every boat ramp, perhaps concentrating in one county at a time. Do we need permits? Just an OK from the County? How about resorts that rent jetskis?
Research a feasible way to print posters/flyers/signs. Can we get an organization that may be willing to fund it? Should we raise the $$ ourselves?
In addition to signs, maybe flyers to hand out to boaters at shows?
And most importantly...
When are we gonna do this? Sit around and talk or do something? It starts with us.

Scuba_Jenny:
Research a feasible way to print posters/flyers/signs. Can we get an organization that may be willing to fund it? Should we raise the $$ ourselves?
In addition to signs, maybe flyers to hand out to boaters at shows?
And most importantly...
When are we gonna do this? Sit around and talk or do something? It starts with us.
If you do something, I'll contribute. I think many on SB would, especially those of us who visit Florida, and I would like to see www.Scubaboard.com on the sign...??

It would indeed start and be done by the Florida members if anyone, but since I am not one, I opened the discussion here - not in your forum.

This task would be immense. There are several hotels within a mile of my place that rent jet skis. There are a few dozen boat ramps, and several boat rental locations (all within a few miles of my apartment). I can't even fathom how many places there would be.

While I think it's a great idea to educate the masses... it just seems like a massive project. It would probably cost thousands and thousands of dollars, and to what avail?

I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer... just looking at the reality of the situation, instead of the idealogical point of view.

--- Remember ---- People in Florida - who have driver's licenses... don't know how to do a 4-way stop, yield, right on red, drive the speed limit, signal when changing lanes, or many other driving regulations.... Don't forget - they had to pass a test even. If people can't even drive right - what makes anyone think they would boat properly???

-- Perhaps the appropriate action would be to petition the state of Florida for starters, to enforce the maritime laws more effectively?

Back
Top Bottom