diver dies under ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That article was dated December 14. The incident this thread is about happened within the last few days.
Sorry, edited my previous post.

If they were using cave protocol then nobody would have been tied off and there would not have been a line tender.

Ice diving means different things to different people.

if they were using cave protocols they would have been laying their own line.

ice diving is a special type of diving , special protocols are needed , please take a course and find out how to do it safely......it can be great fun ......or deadly if you just wing it

is there any new information on this ? has there been a report for example of what exactly happened ?

I hope this is appropriate to share, I figure there may be people on here who want to know. This was from Facebook, a post from HMCS Star / NCSM Star:

It is with sadness that we share on Saturday 9 Jan, 2021, Sailor Second Class Umbertomaya Masferrer, ‘Maya’ died in a recreational diving accident. Maya joined STAR in May of 2019. From a young age he dreamed of being in the Navy. Embraced by the STAR dive team, he became a well-liked and promising young diver. He had recently returned from the coast; at 21 years old, he completed his diving certification, earned his dolphins and achieved the privilege of a new uniform – diving coveralls which brought him much joy. He will be greatly missed by all those who were lucky enough to have known him; positive, energetic, funny, adventurous and eagerly willing to help those around him. 5 Bells Diver Masferrer, job well done.

Umberto Maya Schwartzentruber Masferrer Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom