diver dies on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
I didn't diagnose it. I said sounds like based on what Diver0001 said, "infection in the area around his heart". So don't even go there... :shakehead

pericarditis sucks. i just got over a bout of it that started in mid-jan. diving while being treated for pericarditis is a fairly bad idea... when i was in the ER they sat me up and my heartrate crashed enough to set off the pulse-ox monitors and i went white...

Dive-aholic:
I didn't diagnose it. I said sounds like based on what Diver0001 said, "infection in the area around his heart". So don't even go there... :shakehead

Pericarditis is not an infection around the heart. It is an inflamation of the sack surrounding the heart. In some cases, the fluid between the heart and the sack can build up to the point of squeezing the heart (pericardial effusion). Living with a recurring form of this for over 20 years tells me that when they say "infection" they usually are referring to a bacterial infection that infects the fluid between the sack and the heart, and not pericarditis itself.

Being an ICU nurse, I'm well aware what pericarditis is. If you check out the link I provided, you'll see that the most common cause of pericarditis is infection. I just made an observation based on a 3rd party statement by someone not educated in health care. Can we get back to the true purpose of this thread.

lamont:
pericarditis sucks. i just got over a bout of it that started in mid-jan. diving while being treated for pericarditis is a fairly bad idea... when i was in the ER they sat me up and my heartrate crashed enough to set off the pulse-ox monitors and i went white...

Dive-aholic:
Sounds like pericarditis. If so, then it was just his time. Even if he hadn't been near water, he probably still would have died.

I hope you get through this disease and make a full recovery. Is it really fatal to most people? That's horrible for you. Will you be able to dive again?

Good luck!

It doesn't have to be fatal. But if it's ignored, which is what it sounds like in this case, then it certainly can be. Eventually the inflammation can stifle the heart and prevent it from pumping blood.

Steve50:
If both divers would have been doing the surface swim on their backs, the situation may have had a different outcome. The one who may have fainted doesn't drown and the buddy has the ability to see what is happening, when it happens

I know that there are some variations to the story - but only want to comment on the post I quoted.

Swimming on one's back in scuba gear may or may not prevent an unconscious person from drowning.

BC's like life jackets have differing buoyancy characteristics. The type I life jacket (the one no one ever wears as they are too bulky) is designed to roll an unconscious person onto their back. The other style life jackets which more closely resemble a BC will not turn an unconscious person onto their backs.

The point of this is that the design of the BC combined with water action (swells/waves), tank, and weight distribution may actually roll an unconscious person into a face down position. It may also keep an unconscious person on their backs. There are too many variables - I would never plan on my bc keeping me face up in this kind of situation.

Going back to the Type I life jacket - most of the buoyancy of that device is worn in the users front. Most of the buoyancy in a BC is behind the user.

Depending upon the weather/sea conditions - swimming on one's back may allow for better observation in the buddy team.

-s

DeepBound:
I hope you get through this disease and make a full recovery. Is it really fatal to most people? That's horrible for you. Will you be able to dive again?

Good luck!

the kind of pericarditis i had was not chronic, it just was inflammed for 2-4 wks and went away, treatable with ibuprofen, i'm back diving again with no issues...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom