Diver dies on French Reef (Keys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you guys have determined that these people did not use a SMB, did not drop their weights, and did everything wrong, while casually determining that they "probably" would still be alive if they had just done these simple things. All this from a few lines in a paragraph. I'm all about trying to take lessons away from a tragedy where lessons can be learned, but at least get your facts before you start the "if only they would have *blank*

No we did not determine anything. On the face of what has been presented we have come up with some thoughts and ideas. Nothing more and nothing less.

Respectfully, please read the sticky at the top of this forum as I care not to waste several posts debating the validity of this forum and what we do here - it has already been done ad nauseam. I will say this and be done; the reading of this forum and the speculation that goes with it once saved my butt big time and for that I am happy to have this forum and will always support it.

So you guys have determined that these people did not use a SMB, did not drop their weights, and did everything wrong, while casually determining that they "probably" would still be alive if they had just done these simple things. All this from a few lines in a paragraph. I'm all about trying to take lessons away from a tragedy where lessons can be learned, but at least get your facts before you start the "if only they would have *blank*

Absolutely not. We do not know what happened other than the facts posted and even thay may not be accurate. We have reviewed basics. Dropping weights in situations like this can help. Deploying an SMB can help. Maybe they did these things. Maybe they didn't. If they didn't, they might have helped. Maybe they could have done everything exactly right, not gotten down current, boarded the boat the the woman may have died anyway. We don't know. Nothing we do here will help the woman. She's already dead. What we discuss here may prevent future deaths.

Terrific photo, Kenny. Thank you for sharing that.

I suppose I can easily say from my standpoint that I DO in fact assume that these divers were not diving with an SMB (SS). The reason one has a SS is so that you can be seen on the surface. I have never pulled mine out to try and play baseball with it. It has but one purpose and if a diver has the equipment (SS in this case) and the training (I am not speculating on that) then there are few instances where the SS would not get launched in the scenario painted.

If you have other facts that will change the points that we are making and speculating on, then perhaps you should share them so that we can modify out views and try to help out people such as Fly Girl in different scenarios.

When tragedies such as this happen, the best thing that we as divers can do, is to try to ensure that new and experienced divers alike are aware of whet to do and not to do in certain scenarios. This will hopefully keep others from perishing or being injured. There is no guarantee but if we can prevent even one tragedy without bad mouthing someone else, then we have done good.

The best thing any of us can do is to dive safe, dive often and dive only within our training and comfort zones.

What we discuss here may prevent future deaths.

I'm with FLY GIRL - I'm a newer diver, and this thread has helped a lot. I am making my first trip to Key Largo next weekend. My Saftey Sausage is sitting next to my gear, waiting to be packed but I hadn't decided whether I wanted to take it. Now it is definitely going in the bag and onto the BC.

I can't say that it will prevent a tragedy, but reading this thread has made me more aware of the need to take the basic safety equipment on EVERY dive.

Last edited:
"My Saftey Sausage is sitting next to my gear, waiting to be packed but I hadn't decided whether I wanted to take it." O M G - glad you are. Not poking fun at you, but I just never understood why any divers go to sea without them, but many do. Liveaboards often require them, and often have to loan them out.

Snorkels are not as essential, but my regular bud and I got folding ones with velcro connections and always carry them just in case, too.

That SMB looks awful small in that pic. Thanks for posting it. I always wondered what one would look like from a few dozen yards away.

Its easy to get lost in a big ocean, even with an SMB. I carry one on every dive.

My only recommendation to any newer diver with an safety sausage (different from an SMB) is to have some way to secure it to your person if on the surface for an extended period. The last thing you want if for somebody to find the SS that you let go of. And, for the SMB, the most common choice is a reel since they are typically used as delayed marker for your surfacing.

My intention was not to go into a long drawn out instructional but more to say it is good to have a surface marker (safety sausage), but it is better to not lose it.

O M G - glad you are. Not poking fun at you, but I just never understood why any divers go to sea without them, but many do.

No worries, it was a boneheaded thing to think about. That is why I am grateful to this forum for giving me smacks in the head when I deserve them. :D

Important point on the securing the sausage. I have a nice metal clip to attach it to my BCD. Should I have something else? (Seriously, I really don't know. I just assumed the clip was enough.)

Thanks for the info on the folding snorkel with velcro. I don't think that would be as annoying as my stupid monster big hard plastic one.

Back
Top Bottom