Diver dies on French Reef(Key largo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pupdiver:
It probably wasn't mandatory. They probably asked just asked them to do it.

As far as the rescuer being sued by the family is concerned, I don't think much would come from it. Wouldn't Florida's Goos Samaritan Law give him civil immunity since it wasn't his diver? He can still be sued, of course, but I can't see anything coming of it.
Richesb is correct, USCG protocol, enough said? They are the governing body in this CASE.
Not as glamorous as it sounds, is it?

Richesb:
Maratime law says YOU MUST BE DRUG TESTED if you hold a master's license and involved in any accident.

Has nothing to do with anything else - don't read into the facts
Also, anyone working on that boat; divemaster, firstmate, etc....you are right.
USCG mandatory protocol.

Something interesteing to point out about this incident.

There is nothing in the news about it and it is already 24 hours old. I mean Nada, zilch, nothing. The only thing we've seen out of this incident is the Sheriffs office report.

Two weeks ago, when 3 divers died on the Spiegal Grove, the news media was covered up with news reports about the accident/death. Here I can't find anything on it on the Keynoter, KeysNews, Miami Herald, Google news. Not even anything in the Fort Myers paper, which is where the victum was from.

Weird huh? It's kinda like the news media doesn't care unless it's a more spectacular story.

mike s:
Weird huh? It's kinda like the news media doesn't care unless it's a more spectacular story.
Anna Nicoles autopsy report came out today.. even had it live on local TV.

mike_s:
Something interesteing to point out about this incident.

There is nothing in the news about it and it is already 24 hours old. I mean Nada, zilch, nothing. The only thing we've seen out of this incident is the Sheriffs office report.

Two weeks ago, when 3 divers died on the Spiegal Grove, the news media was covered up with news reports about the accident/death. Here I can't find anything on it on the Keynoter, KeysNews, Miami Herald, Google news. Not even anything in the Fort Myers paper, which is where the victum was from.

Doesn't seem at all weird to me. It appears likely that it was a medical condition and/or heart attack, even though it may have been triggered by the exertion of the dive. Heart attacks aren't big news items.

3 guys getting stuck inside a wreck and running out of air is a lot more unusual, and therefore newsworthy.

Richesb:
Maratime law says YOU MUST BE DRUG TESTED if you hold a master's license and involved in any accident.

Has nothing to do with anything else - don't read into the facts
Thank you for clearing that up. I suspected it was something like that. I'm a nurse and I have to sign a consent for random drug testing, and I know I do occupational drug testing for many companies. It does not seem to be an uncommon policy in many companies for any company employee involved in an on the job accident to have drug testing. So yes, it's good for us to remember to not "read between the lines" or jump to conclusions. Thanks again.

JackSpearo:
... I really wish we would focus on them and not the legal issues at hand...
Don't we all wish that? But in the US at least, there are "legal issues" around any mishap, often legal issues that can ruin lives. So, along with compassion for the victims and wanting to understand what happened and how we might avoid similar mishaps in the future, legal issues are important to folks, and so they just naturally come up.
Rick

Moderator Post

Just a friendly reminder that name calling is against the TOS. One post has been deleted, and I'm hoping for that to be the last.

Thank you!!​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom