Diver dies on French Reef(Key largo)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Key Largo - A Fort Myers man died while scuba diving off of Key Largo Sunday.

50 year old ######## of Fort Myers was on a dive trip on board the Sea Dweller III. He was diving in 30 feet of water at French Reef. Shortly after 10 a.m., he surfaced behind another dive boat, the Tropical Voyager. The captain of that boat asked if ####### was all right. He indicated he needed help. As ###### was being assisted aboard, he collapsed and stopped breathing. Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation was begun immediately and, after loading all their divers on board, the Tropical Voyager started back to shore, continuing with CPR. They were met at the dock by paramedics who pronounced him dead.

The victim's dive buddy said he never indicated he was having any problems during the dive. An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of his death. (Taken from the Monroe County police website)

Prayers to the family.

I heard that the captain and mate of the rescue boat, had to go for mandatory drug tests, even though the diver they rescued was not one of their's.

No good deed goes unpunished...:coffee:

What's wrong with a drug test?
Condolances to the family.

maj75:
I heard that the captain and mate of the rescue boat, had to go for mandatory drug tests, even though the diver they rescued was not one of their's.

No good deed goes unpunished...:coffee:

what law requires a drug test? (Just curious)

I mean the sheriffs office just can't make any random person go in for a drug test from the scene of an accident. Maybe the Coast Guard can since they were USCG licensed for a commercial vessel, but that's just screwy if anything else.

In the long run however, them passing a drug test at the time might help with any lawsuit that might come out of this. Families could sue the rescuer even though he was not the boat the diver went out on.

from
http://myfwc.com/boating/safety/law_summary.htm
BOATING UNDER THE INFLUENCE

It is a violation of Florida law to operate a vessel while impaired by alcohol or other drugs. A vessel operator suspected of boating under the influence must submit to sobriety tests and a physical or chemical test to determine blood or breath alcohol content.

Basically from this summary it looks like any officer can say he suspects your under the influance.

Maratime law says YOU MUST BE DRUG TESTED if you hold a master's license and involved in any accident.

Has nothing to do with anything else - don't read into the facts

mike_s:
what law requires a drug test? (Just curious)
USCG I believe.

It probably wasn't mandatory. They probably asked just asked them to do it.

As far as the rescuer being sued by the family is concerned, I don't think much would come from it. Wouldn't Florida's Goos Samaritan Law give him civil immunity since it wasn't his diver? He can still be sued, of course, but I can't see anything coming of it.

WeekendDiver:
What's wrong with a drug test?
QUOTE]

Might discourage people from attempting to help people if they knew they had to take a drug test after.

If they had drugs in the boat, or were "suspected of boating under the influence ", thats different, but a drug test for rescuing someone seems counter productive to me.

I cannot find this report anywhere online including the MCSD, Fort Myers News Press, Keys News and Miami Herald. Can someone post a link?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom