• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diver dies on 60m deep air dive

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by Griffo, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Solo Diver

I think we've learned a lot since deep air and no backups were the norm. And I really dont think poorly of the divers who made those dives decades ago. There are better, safer, and readily available options these days.
    :)

2. Frosty

Frosty Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Has the actual cause of death been established ? --Maybe I missed it but all Ive seen so far is lots of theories.
    Outa gas? medical issue?

AfterDark likes this.
  3. iain/hsm

iain/hsm Manta Ray

Using a rented 12 lire air cylinder on a new diver for a 50 MSW air dive sounds like a stunt dive gone wrong. Lucky the twinset pair with her didn’t end up on manslaughter charges.

It would also be interesting to know what if a detailed gas spec analysis was done on the air purity, assuming it wasn’t nitrox.

The centre was also in the papers a month earlier for miss leading customers claiming that the The National Diving and Activity Centre NDAC was an accredited PADI 5 star instructor dive centre. They are not.

Also the same time the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents RoSPA also claimed they misled customers that they were members of this national safety organization. Fortunate for them I guess they also are not. The article below :
    Dive centre 'may have potentially misled' over RoSPA membership

Rollin Bonz likes this.
  4. mafi

mafi Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Any research supporting 140/l min as recommended value?

5. iain/hsm

iain/hsm Manta Ray

Unfortunatly this was a new diver with a rented single cyinder tank, on air and never been that deep before.

MParker on post 6 made an excellent point
    Some personal choice.

6. Efka76

Efka76 Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I am wondering why people behave so irresponsibly. Currently there are various reaserches available who demonstrate that very deep diving on air is not safe. I understand that some people want to be matchos and want to show off, however, in this case you are risking your own life.

I did not find information that this diver went to 60 m with single 12L cylinder, however, to go to such depth I would expect that diver is: 1) Certified trimix diver 2) has up to date and not rusty skills 3) Has appropriate equipment and corrct & sufficient gas (twinset with trimix) and deco gas. 4) has a good health.

It seems that with this Polish diver some of important factors were omitted and this resulted in death. Unfortunately such depth is not very forgiving even small mistakes.

7. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Why all the hubub about gas mix? The article made it sound like a heart attack. Did I misread?

infieldg and Bob DBF like this.
  8. electric_diver

electric_diver Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I had never noticed the increased gas density issue before on deep air dives so I watched out for it on last nights dive. Still didn't notice it even though I was looking for it. St. Lawrence river, 160 feet, occasionally swimming against ~2knot current in full tech gear with 2 stages.

I think, just like almost everything else in diving, it can be an issue for some but not for others. So it is inappropriate to make blanket statements

shoredivr and Bob DBF like this.
  9. Efka76

Efka76 Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    All divers are affected by gas narcosis, however, divers have different body composition, fitness level. also, some divers are more experienced and have muscle memory which helps in better solving issues deep under water. Accordingly, you might have an impression that you are not affected by narcosis.

cathal, chillyinCanada and Wingy like this.
  10. electric_diver

electric_diver Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I was not writing about narcosis. My comments were strictly limited to gas density.

shoredivr likes this.