Diver dies not trespassing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dived this spot many, many times, but by anchored boat. We had an incident once where the current came up unexpectedly (to us). Lesson learned. We have aborted dives here numerous times by simply watching the current.

UP says the were wading because of the property rights. I'm not so sure.

When I'm diving in Puget Sound, I carry so much weight because of the exposure suit, that I prefer to wade when I can to take the burden off.

Again, we don't know all the facts, but it sounds as if they maybe weren't wading shallow enough.

If we are evaluating this accident for prevention purposes, the lesson appears to be (in THESE circumstances), keep your BC inflated and keep your reg handy.

sea nmf:
Again, we don't know all the facts, but it sounds as if they maybe weren't wading shallow enough.

To this point ... the accident occurred during an exceptionally low tide. In other words, they were wading in water where during a nominal high tide we would be doing our safety stop. This area has one spot where the bottom slopes more steeply than normal ... we call it the "drop off". People who dive here regularly don't normally have to worry about this spot when wading back to the entry, as it's usually too deep to wade to.

If we are evaluating this accident for prevention purposes, the lesson appears to be (in THESE circumstances), keep your BC inflated and keep your reg handy.

I think that's a salient point to ponder ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi, all. My name is Courtney Sargent, and Wayne was my daddy. I have read through your posts with mixed emotions, and I would like to share my initial thoughts.

Most importantly, we (my family and I) eagerly accept all condolences and prayers extended to us and appreciate every one more than my words would be able to express.

Also, I would like to make the point that my father understood and respected the rights of the landowners. And in their defense I would have you all know that it is they who have my eternal gratefulness for finishing the job my father started by taking a boat out to save my mother's life.

Additionally, I would like to share that my father did research every rulebook/tide chart/etc. that he could get his hands on all week before their dive. As one person posted, I believe, they DID dive when it was supposed to be slack. But I've come to realize that, unlike my dad :wink: , Nature doesn't always follow the rules...

Alas, I must cut myself short and try to rest.

But please check back... I plan on addressing every one of your concerns to the best of my knowledge as time permits.

Again, thank you one and all for your condolences, thoughts, and prayers. You haven't heard the last from the Sargent family!

-Courtney Lynn Sargent

(for any interested in his life, his obituary was run on April 15 in the Salem, Oregon newspaper, the Statesman Journal... I'm sure it's searchable)

Courtney

You're up pretty early (or you stayed up pretty late)! It's really good to hear from you. I just want you to know I've been praying for your family all week. I can't imagine what you must be going through. I dove with your father a couple times so I know how he prepared for dives. I didn't know your father very well but I will miss him and think about him each time I dive.

Please take care of yourself and know that others are thinking about you.

-Brian Bertsch

One more quick note... my brother is working on a tribute website. We would be honored to have anyone that is so inclined to take a moment, check it out, and maybe even check in at the Guestbook:

:bic:www.WaynesLife.com

Keep checking back, it's a work in progress!
DIVE SAFE and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR!!!

Courtney, thank you for posting to this thread. It is encouraging to see your perspective on the property owners.

Your father was an example in sticking with and helping his *buddy* even to the ultimate loss of his own life.

That he knew the site, was a meticulous planner and still had the dive turn against him is sobering... and I for one will never dive Sunrise again without thinking about it.

May God bless and comfort you and your family.

CourtLynn:
One more quick note... my brother is working on a tribute website. We would be honored to have anyone that is so inclined to take a moment, check it out, and maybe even check in at the Guestbook:

:bic:www.WaynesLife.com

Keep checking back, it's a work in progress!
DIVE SAFE and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR!!!
What courage you showed, CourtLynn, in posting here!

Thanks for the reminder that our accident discussions here are not theoretical, but are about tragedies involving real people whose loss leaves real wounds in real hearts.

Our best thoughts are with your family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom