Diver dies not trespassing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It had nothing whatsoever to do with property owners. In fact, the property owners assisted in the attempted rescue.

Nonetheless, the news stories continue to try to paint this as a diver vs. property owner issue. How sad ... as we learn more it appears to be nothing more than a simple accident.

As someone told me yesterday, it wasn't so much a diving accident as an accident that happened to someone who was wearing scuba gear at the time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have not been on the board recently, mainly because of problems the board has had with response times. I simply did not have time for things to load...but I have come back, and have read this entire thread. What strikes me, as a safety professional, is that no one has commented on possible causes of this accident. You don't die from walking it water. Nor do you die from slipping into deeper water.

We try to look for what is called "multiple causation," or "root causes" of any situation like this. To do that, an in-depth accident investigation is necessary. That means asking questions about possible situations. So, I'll ask some questions, without having the answer, and then provide some perspective on my questions.

Before doing so, however, I must say that my heart and prayers go out to the family and friends of Mr. Sargent.

Here's the questions that come to my mind:

1. Was there a head injury involved?
2. Did Mr. Sargent have his hood up or down?
3. What was his physical state after the dive, as he was walking back?

Answering these three things could provide information vital to learning the actual cause of the death of Mr. Sargent.

Perspective

Many times, a head injury influences how a person in good health could respond to an emergency. Falls (which this could have been) sometimes involve hitting the head, either on obstacles involved, or on a person's equipment (regulator, if mounted high).

How could having a hood up or down influence the situation? Well, there is a well-known "must breath" reflex in response to sudden immersion of the head in very cold water. If that "must breath" situation happens when underwater, you inhale water. Many excellent swimmers have drowned this way.

A diver is sometimes physically exhausted after a dive, especially if the dive had to be aborted because of strong currents. This can really tax the cardiovascular system, and then if another emergency comes along, the person's system could become overwhelmed by the physical demands.

I don't know whether any of these played a part in this accident, but this is where we should be discussing things, and not property rights.

SeaRat

Sea Rat
I agree that there are many aspects of this incident to be discussed, I find it funny to my how a lot of people are saying the we should not be discussing property rights. I think the title of the thread (Diver dies not trespassing)tilted the discussoin in this direction, so rightly or not, a discussoin of property rights is inevitable at this point...

Regarding this statement, "How could having a hood up or down influence the situation? Well, there is a well-known "must breath" reflex in response to sudden immersion of the head in very cold water."

Are you saying that wearing a hood could prevent this reflex? Not being arguementative here, just wonder how much of a real factor that would be in this situation or others like it...

JAG

jagfish:
I think the title of the thread (Diver dies not trespassing)tilted the discussoin in this direction, so rightly or not, a discussoin of property rights is inevitable at this point...
...though way off base. The discussion of property rights is a separate issue that can only cloud the discussion that would lead to accident prevention.

However the issue of trespassing does have a bearing on this incident. It is the reason that the divers involved were wading back to the point of entry and not walking on the beach. There is no doubt that if they had been walking on the beach the accident would not have unfolded as it did.

In evaluating a generalized version of the accident we must avoid useless speculation about the specifics of this particular case beyond what we know to be the salient facts. And of course we must realize that the greater part of most *news reports* are suspect.

jagfish:
Sea Rat

Are you saying that wearing a hood could prevent this reflex? Not being arguementative here, just wonder how much of a real factor that would be in this situation or others like it...

JAG

Jag,

There are several well-known reflexes associated with water.

One is the mammalian diving reflex, which has to do with the face being immersed in water. This reflex tends to slow the heart rate, and is used by breath-hold (apnea) divers.

The other is not so well known in the diving community, because we go to great lengths to provide adequate thermal protection to the diver's head. But this reflex, if my memory serves me correctly, occurs when the back of the neck is exposed to cold water. I experienced that when I tried an ice-water bath during a mountaineering training session. It is a reflex hyperventilation, which is described here:

In human adults and animals, immersion in icy water results in involuntary reflex hyperventilation and a decreased breath holding ability to less than 10 seconds. This may increase the likelihood of aspiration and rebreathing of icy water in some victims.

Cold-water drowning/cerebral protection

Although this article is about the effects of cold-water near drowning and survivability, it does discuss this reflex. It is a dramatic thing (and traumatic too, if immersed) to have happen.

When I was in rescue work, we taught about water rescues. Water Safety Instructiors (WSI), also teach lifeguarding and rescue techniques. One of the things we have taught is that if you are entering the water in a rescue situation, and the water is cold, enter in such a way so that you mouth does not go under water. If you must enter the water suddenly, with your mouth and nose underwater, cover them to preclude the reflexive hyperventilation aspiration of water. So to answer the question, yes; protecting your head thermally can prevent this reflexive hyperventilation.

Last weekend, I dove solo is the Clackamas River at High Rocks, near Portland. It was a pretty chilly water. When I got out, I left my helmet (modified bicycle helmet) and hood on, as well as my mask. I had a twenty-foot rock climb to make to get out of there, and if I slipped, I wanted the helmet/hood in place. This is for head protection, and thermal protection.

While I was writing the above, Uncle Pug wrote:

However the issue of trespassing does have a bearing on this incident. It is the reason that the divers involved were wading back to the point of entry and not walking on the beach. There is no doubt that if they had been walking on the beach the accident would not have unfolded as it did.

In evaluating a generalized version of the accident we must avoid useless speculation about the specifics of this particular case beyond what we know to be the salient facts. And of course we must realize that the greater part of most *news reports* are suspect.

Yes, the trespassing rules played a role. But they were not the only factor. In accident investigation, under the multiple causation theory, it usually is a combination of things that causes the accident. It rarely is a "single-fault" situation; as a matter of fact, the semiconductor industry actively works on products to ensure that there are no single-fault failures that can cause an accident. In this situation, the following have been identified before I posted:

--The no-trespassing rules.
--Poor dive planning.
--Idiosynchracies of the dive site.
--The actual currents at that time.

But none of these produces a fatal accident in and of itself. There must be something else, which was why I asked the questions. To prevent a similar occurance, all the possible factors need to be identified, and corrective actions taken for each.

We can speculate on some of this, as that is how accident potentials are identified. It pays though, to realize that we are dealing with speculation that the actual facts may be decidedly different for someone who is close to the investigation. In accident prevention circles, these are actually called "what if" analyses.

Another, more specific way of analyzing the potential is to do what's called a "Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)." We can speculate about a given failure mode, and analyze it's effects. In electrical terms, we can see what happens upstream and downstream of the failure of a component. In an actual accident, we can use similar techniques to develop a logic tree for the different causes that came together to make the accident happen. This was used on both the Columbia and Challenger accidents.

But to focus on one of the causes to the exclusion of the rest of them misses the reason that the accident happened in the first place. It is this sometimes fatal combination of factors that we need to pay attention to. If all of these factors had to come together to make the accident, take any one of them away and you prevent the accident (in Boolean logic, these are "and" gates; this and this and this and this had to happen to cause the accident).

SeaRat

What about not having an inflated BC? Maybe there's something we don't know about such as the impact from him falling tearing his BC -- but there's also a potential lesson to make sure that if you could fall into the water that you know at all times that you'll float...

jagfish:
Well Pug....
Aren't property rights and tresspassing two sides of the same coin?
.... but it will be helpful to study the side of the coin that is germane to this forum.

Flipping the coin over and over is not helpful... particularly in this thread.

The other side of the coin is an excellent topic for another thread in another forum and I would wholeheartedly suggest that those interested in it start one.

After reading all this, it would seem to me, if I were in the same situation - away from my exit point - I'd probably take my fins off, walk in waiste deep water with BC inflated (not intentionally, just left over from when I surfaced and not thinking about it) and would walk to the exit point because it's easier "Lighter" than walking on rocks in full dive gear.

Now, if there was a ledge involved and my partner suddenly fell over I'd jump to try to help (not realizing THERE was a ledge), either looking for the bc inflator their reg to put it in their mouth and THEN think Ooops... what about me... in quick response situations, with 60lbs of gear or more, no bc inflation and in 10 feet of water things happen quickly... I could see the senario of him doing what he could while sinking down to the bottom of the ledge but also grabbing a mouthful of saltwater, choking, madly looking for either bc or reg, spinning end-over-end hitting the bottom or bouncing off a rock and that's it.... game over.
So I don't see why it is difficult to imangine. I've slipped on my fair share of rocks, tumbled under and luckly had the bc inflated. 10' of water is a lot if you're out of control.
My guess on tresspassing is that YES, they were concerned about it... but if you take the Tresspass problem out of the equation, i.e. it was a free access park, and they were 100 yards away, I'd still walk in the water, semi-float down to the exit point.. it's just easier.
So tragic as is was, it's this kind of stuff that needs to be reminded to all. It happens..
re: property rights, If the situations were reversed, You owned the beach house, would you want divers talking loud, trashing, turning on air valves to get some water out, shouting to others that they are here and not there.... I wouldn't, and therefore respect the property rights as it should.. like some other dive posts about locations 3-Tree, Fox Island West, etc... we, as divers, need to be mindfull of others in the area or they will close it down. 90% are, 10% aren't, what can be done about that?

Well spoken, Pug
However, even in the speculation that this occurence might save a future life, I hope the owners have thier "right of access" issues shaken up, so as to remove one more mitigating factor that could contribute to an already hazardous activity.

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom