Diver Dies Near Catalina, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likewise in support of Jennifer.

The individual was diving with two friends of mine. They were pretty shook up by it, and I haven't felt it appropriate to ask for any details until they recover a bit.

The only thing I've heard here was that two divers were down. One surfaced yelling. The other's light was still visible. Divers went down to see what was wrong and discovered that the light and weight belt had been ditched. The diver was found later entangled in the anchor chain.

I have not confirmed the above information with my friends. It came from someone I consider to be a reliable source. Will post later once I get more details.

It is a shame to lose another one, especially so because this one not only affects his family and friends, but also my friends who were diving off the same boat. My condolences to the family.

Dr. Bill

Thanks Hermosa Dave and Dr. Bill for posting some more information. It's especially eerie since I was diving off a boat at catalina on Sat. night - that gives me goosebumps. My condolences, as well, to the family and buddies - Dr. Bill, please pass on our sympathies to your friends. I can't imagine how horrible it would be to have a buddy injured/die while we were diving together. I hope that they get the help they need.

It sounds like they were diving from a boat - does anyone know which one? Actually, thinking of it, don't post the boat here, please pm me with the info instead. I don't want this to get into anything that would look like there's fault or blame or anything, I'm just curious since, like I said, I was also on a boat that night.

I believe they may have been diving off my friends boat, but I haven't verified that. Apparently it was my two friends who retrieved the body and tried to revive him using CPR. I know they are pretty down about this.

So far the new information I've received seems to verify the initial info I provided in my first post in this thread.

Will pass on your thoughts saf_25... I'm sure they will be appreciated.

Dr. B.

Tragic for sure.

Already a thread on this... see it for further details.

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Likewise in support of Jennifer.

The individual was diving with two friends of mine. They were pretty shook up by it, and I haven't felt it appropriate to ask for any details until they recover a bit.

The only thing I've heard here was that two divers were down. One surfaced yelling. The other's light was still visible. Divers went down to see what was wrong and discovered that the light and weight belt had been ditched. The diver was found later entangled in the anchor chain.

I have not confirmed the above information with my friends. It came from someone I consider to be a reliable source. Will post later once I get more details.

It is a shame to lose another one, especially so because this one not only affects his family and friends, but also my friends who were diving off the same boat. My condolences to the family.

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill,

I'm glad that you brought up the point how the incident also affects the involved buddies.

I too offer condolences to the diver's family, his friends, and especially his buddies who were diving with him that night. I agree with Saf that I hope his buddies get the support that they need in dealing with this, for I'm sure it has to be pretty traumatic and I hope that none of us find ourselves in that situation...ever.

Kind Regards

Really sad. 40ft..... could have removed the BCD and swim to the surface? I am just curious, anchor line is kind of thick and how to be entangled with anchor line? Perhaps it's time for him to go.

I felt like he had been cheated out of this. It was a situation where he could have been saved. All he had to do was to unbuckle a few buckles on his BCD and free himself. Really wish I was there to untangle him. What a waste. May we all learn from this accident......

Condolence to his family and dive buddies.

This is so sad.

fishnchips - some of the boats I dive from have anchor ropes less than one inch in diameter. it's also bloody hard to cut anchor rope with a dive knife. hearing these kind of news items really creeps me because it is so easy to happen.

My deepest condolences to those involved.

I agree with Fishnchips - that's a question I was mulling over in my head.

Sorry to hear of any loss of life. May God be with him and the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom