Diver dies in Manatee Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if that was the Chinese woman I saw at CCDS on Saturday and Sunday?

The husband was spending a lot of time prepping a rebreather.

Any pictures of the exit?
This was it in februari 2017, we did it then. You must exactly know how to do it, stay out of the flow, then directly go to the middle and grap the tree at the right to bring yourself over the tree, out of the flow to hold your deco.
B2721616.jpg

And yes, there were manatees in the spring then. 2 we have seen. They were gone when we finished our diver (from Friedman, the circuit there, back to Catfish, back to Manatee springs).
IMG-0571.jpg

This was our dive then:

I saw nothing on the accident. Just info on the dive site.

You are right, Harry must have changed it. You can still see the link to the article on the blog part of their site, but it just links to the dive site page.

Did you setup this traverse from the headspring (exit) end?
I don't know the complete dive anymore, too long ago (2.5 year). We did it with a local diver, we started in Friedman, then did there a circuit and followed the flow to Catfish and then the exit at Manatee Springs, he explained then exactly how to do it. Wait outside the current and then one by one go in the current and let you go. It was like a rollercoaster then I remember. I contacted him yesterday and he said you cannot do this exit anymore. I remember we had to catch a tree in the current at the manatee exit and then throw ourselves over the tree to avoid of blowing out and miss our decostops. But now the exit is too narrow he said. Too tricky.
A few days earlier we did the traverse from Catfish to Friedman and back. The way to Friedman had a ******* current then. The dive with the exit at Manatee Springs was really great, but I would never did it without someone knowing how to do it.

Does anyone know why the divers tried it then? Did any of the others make it through or was the victim first to try? Does anyone know if the group had a guide with them?

Does anyone know why the divers tried it then? Did any of the others make it through or was the victim first to try? Does anyone know if the group had a guide with them?
The story I saw said it was a husband and wife team, The husband went first and made it through. The wife went next and did not exit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom