Diver dies at Lake Travis, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess the thing that got me in the other thread with the student is how quickly she said they did everything perfectly and how instructor did everything perfectly and that he was such a great instructor.

Personally, if anyone on my team, in my class, or just someone in the water near me dies, I think I would spend days thinking what could I or should I have done. I think if someone dies something really really went wrong and I would want to know what that was and if I did or could have had an impact. And being so close to a situation, you need some time and perhaps outside perspective to help with that.

I remember reading about a rescue that Lamont was involved in. He really took his role in that seriously and was open to others posting about the event. The diver in that instance was not part of his team but someone in distress that he encountered. I was impressed with howmuch care he put on other divers in the water and his role as a responsible member of the dive community.

I am not saying those that were involved did anything wrong on purpose, but since someone died that was diving with them, their actions should certainly be looked at--as Debbie posted so we can all learn and she can teach us.

I certainly would like to know more about what the correct thing to do when your your buddy strokes out or has a heart attack under water whether or not this is what in fact happened to this guys as the student diver claims.

I cant help myself I have to weigh in here. The thing that got me about the other thread was the number of people clambering to lay blame for cause and effect.The cause was I am sure an out of shape person(age 52,unable to complete the aow course) diving with a bad heart.The effect was he died and there is no one to blame. Regardless of what some people may believe or how good a diver they may be,somethings are just beyond control. We go into the water with a life support system and descend to depths that are beyond a single breath to the surface and under these circumstances everything must function properly including your body. There are a great many things that can be wrong and a person not even know about it such as a stroke, aneurysm, pulmonary embolism(blood clot in the pulmonary vein) heart attack and the thing is if any of these things happen underwater you have 3-4 min. to get to the surface and re establish circulation and breathing...that isn't much time and having been a fireman and rode an ambulance for a number of years I can tell you it is pretty damn hard to get it done in that time on dry ground much less in the water. Of all the years in the fire and ems service the only successfully CPR resuscitations were either witnessed arrests or started within the 4 min.time window and in this case a heart attack is especially tough because the heart muscle is dying before the arrest ever took place. The only way in my opinion that you could ever help a diver experiencing a heart attack is if he recognizes it himself and seeks help to the surface and heart attack victims are notorious for denial.

Folks,

On the general theme of out-of-shape divers (I realise we don't yet know if that was the case with this poor guy): in the States, is it possible to dive at a course or with commercial operation without having a medical certificate? Here in France, I am required to see a dive doctor every year: he checks out EVERYTHING: my ears, nose, teeth, joints, etc., not just the obvious stuff. For my heart and lungs, I have to do 30 deep knee-bends in about 45 seconds - then he checks my pulse and respiration. It's a ***** to have to do this each year, but I must say, it makes you stay in shape. Afterwards, the doc gives you a certificate staying that you are in physical shape to dive.

No, there is no requirement for any sort of medical evaluation before diving, or to continue diving, in the US. If you have a preexisting medical condition, the shop which certifies you will require a letter from your doctor, clearing you to dive, but once you are certified, there is no further requirement.

Folks,

On the general theme of out-of-shape divers (I realise we don't yet know if that was the case with this poor guy): in the States, is it possible to dive at a course or with commercial operation without having a medical certificate? Here in France, I am required to see a dive doctor every year: he checks out EVERYTHING: my ears, nose, teeth, joints, etc., not just the obvious stuff. For my heart and lungs, I have to do 30 deep knee-bends in about 45 seconds - then he checks my pulse and respiration. It's a ***** to have to do this each year, but I must say, it makes you stay in shape. Afterwards, the doc gives you a certificate staying that you are in physical shape to dive.

I could only wish such requirements were used here. The amount of overweight,out of shape divers I saw at my qual dives at Dutch Springs were shocking.

I could only wish such requirements were used here. The amount of overweight,out of shape divers I saw at my qual dives at Dutch Springs were shocking.

So are you saying that only the "fit" (by your standards) should be able to enjoy the sport and the rest should stay at home in their easy chairs, growing more out of shape?

One thing that nobody has mentioned is that as the guy who died was on a course he must have filled out some medical paperwork.
That means one of 3 things:
1)He was unaware of his condition (One of Dixintex posts stated he had an enlarged heart)
2)He was aware of it but did not disclose it on the form
3)He was aware of it and was cleared by a doctor to dive.

Would be interesting to know which of those 3 it was. Not holding my breath though!

Be careful what you wish for. BTW, I know of several divers who are not overweight
or out of shape that had heart attacks or bypass operations.

Terri

Be careful what you wish for. BTW, I know of several divers who are not overweight
or out of shape that had heart attacks or bypass operations.

Terri

I'm with you on the "be careful what you wish for" - MORE regulation than there already is? ARGH. :confused: I HOPE most adults - at least those able to be certified to begin with - should able to be responsible for their own health & safety once they've been given the information.

Also, just for argument's sake... there are also plenty of people who are overweight and in pretty darn good cardiovascular shape (I know a few...). And then there is the question of evaluating "overweight & exercises regularly and doesn't smoke" vs "not overweight, lives on hot dogs and beer, and smokes like a fiend while sitting in front of the tv every night."

Back
Top Bottom