Diver Deported in Canada, Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that this year, the folks running the port authority in Canada have taken on a mission of removing "undesirables" from their country...
I'm not sure why this is suddenly happening and I find it difficult to believe, but I was there and saw it happen.
I'm shocked! Nothing like that would ever happen in the good ol' USA.

The problem isn't necessarily with the law, even thought it seems excessive, but the fact they have started enforcing it in this particular area. This area has a lot of tourism, including dive and fishing charters. If they are going to enforce it, they should notify the charter operators, hotels, etc. so they can in turn notify their customers. If there is a simple process to avoid being kicked out of the country, that's great, but suddenly kicking people off charters and out of the country is going to hurt the local businesses. I already know a couple divers that didn't go to Canada for this particular reason.

The problem isn't necessarily with the law, even thought it seems excessive, but the fact they have started enforcing it in this particular area. This area has a lot of tourism, including dive and fishing charters. If they are going to enforce it, they should notify the charter operators, hotels, etc. so they can in turn notify their customers. If there is a simple process to avoid being kicked out of the country, that's great, but suddenly kicking people off charters and out of the country is going to hurt the local businesses. I already know a couple divers that didn't go to Canada for this particular reason.

I couldn't agree with you more. I bet the local businesses would agree as well.

We were diving the St Lawrence Seaway this weekend, from the Canadian side. The first day we went to the American side so had to leave Canada, clear customs in the States, do the dives and then clear Canadian Customs on return.

My best guess is that they're suspicious because it looks (an IMO is) pretty bizarre to cross over into Canada so you can boat to the US side, then boat back to Canada so you can cross the border back over to the US and go home. That's four unnecessary border crossings.

I don't think they really care about the 35 year old DUI, but are trying to discourage strange behaviour that they don't understand.

flots.

My best guess is that they're suspicious because it looks (an IMO is) pretty bizarre to cross over into Canada so you can boat to the US side, then boat back to Canada so you can cross the border back over to the US and go home. That's four unnecessary border crossings.

I don't think they really care about the 35 year old DUI, but are trying to discourage strange behaviour that they don't understand.

flots.

No, this is standard procedure for diving in this area. The border is down the middle of the river and there are wrecks on both sides. Most of the charter operators are in Canada and some of the more popular wrecks are on the US side.

flots.

Like WVMike said, this is standard. Thousand Island Pleasure Diving has been doing it for years. The individual I know has been doing the same exact trip for many years and this year was the first time it happened. The operator also said it was the first time they had seen it, so enforcement in this particular area is something new.

Someone probably needs to justify their job.

Weird. The premier of BC has a DUI conviction and they still let him into the country.

For those outside BC, the BC Liberal party is right-wing whereas the Federal Liberal party is left-of-centre.

Last edited:
Would they rather he used a drysuit made in Canadia? :mooner:

Someone probably needs to justify their job.

Justifying your job by running tourists out of the country and causing local business to lose money... Definitely sounds like a government official!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom