Diver Death - Request For Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was he really wearing that hard helmet suit in the picture when he died? Pardon my ignorance , but that is the first time I have seen anyone wear one of those in modern times. Could his equepment have been the problem? A tear in the suit that caused the drowning?

My condolences to his friends and family who knew and loved him. A terrible trajedy!

Mr. Bubble:
Was he really wearing that hard helmet suit in the picture when he died? Pardon my ignorance , but that is the first time I have seen anyone wear one of those in modern times. Could his equepment have been the problem? A tear in the suit that caused the drowning?

My condolences to his friends and family who knew and loved him. A terrible trajedy!

He was not wearing any dive gear and had not been diving on the day of his passing. He was swimming on the surface, assisting a diver who was having problems with current.

All of this is in the thread and enclosed links, had you taken the time to read them.

Rich

"But he was tethered to the boat in a "hard pak". They pulled him in and he was already blue, un-concious and not breathing"

Pardon my oversite.

Mr. Bubble:
"But he was tethered to the boat in a "hard pak". They pulled him in and he was already blue, un-concious and not breathing"

Pardon my oversite.
A hard pak is mearly a old style scuba bottle holder prior to B.C's . It's a harness with a little piece of plastic on it. It has a line on it that is supposed to be used to pull in rescuer & rescuee! The dive master puts this on along with fins & mask and goes and gets him! Then the crew is supposed to pull both back in. This is not what happened! They pulled in the rescuee and attentions were turned "elsewhere", as Roy was not even noticed missing for 2-3 minutes by the crew by thier own admissions. I really question if it was 2-3 minutes (by thier own admission) or what was the real amount of time as a doctor told me it takes a little more than 2-3 minutes to turn blue! ( the largest factor of this being O2 content and Temperture ) the water temp was 85 on the surface!

Back
Top Bottom