Diver Death - Request For Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm even more saddened now than ever! The Fri. night before he died, Roy sat with us and we openly discussed some recent health issue's I have had. ( High Blood pressure ) Roy had just had a physical and the report's said he was healthy as a horse! Sea horse we joked! He said his blood pressure was perfect, EKG perfect, right down to his cholesteral level. When it was first reprted that he had probably had a heart attack, I wondered as many do, why do we even got to the "dang" doctor's? They give ya a perfect bill of health and the next week he goes out with a heart attack. After finding out that he drowned, I wonder what really went on during the several minutes according to the other dive master that passed before Roy was noticed missing. If anyone else ( passenger's ) were witness to this I'd appreciate any input that they could give! It's hard enough to deal with the loss of a fellow professional in the industry doing what he's "not paid" to do, it's even harder to deal with the death of a friend/ co-worker in the dive business. But it's almost impossible to deal with if his death could have been prevented. I plan on putting into place measure's that will help prevent this sort of thing from ever happening to another one of our beloved professionals. He gave his life for another, he gave me good dive advice my whole career, and he's still " learning me" a few things with his passing. So for the final time, let me say like I've said so many other times!! THANKS ROY!!! I'll miss ya 360

Capt. AL:
I'm even more saddened now than ever! The Fri. night before he died, Roy sat with us and we openly discussed some recent health issue's I have had. ( High Blood pressure ) Roy had just had a physical and the report's said he was healthy as a horse! Sea horse we joked! He said his blood pressure was perfect, EKG perfect, right down to his cholesteral level. When it was first reprted that he had probably had a heart attack, I wondered as many do, why do we even got to the "dang" doctor's? They give ya a perfect bill of health and the next week he goes out with a heart attack. After finding out that he drowned, I wonder what really went on during the several minutes according to the other dive master that passed before Roy was noticed missing. If anyone else ( passenger's ) were witness to this I'd appreciate any input that they could give! It's hard enough to deal with the loss of a fellow professional in the industry doing what he's "not paid" to do, it's even harder to deal with the death of a friend/ co-worker in the dive business. But it's almost impossible to deal with if his death could have been prevented. I plan on putting into place measure's that will help prevent this sort of thing from ever happening to another one of our beloved professionals. He gave his life for another, he gave me good dive advice my whole career, and he's still " learning me" a few things with his passing. So for the final time, let me say like I've said so many other times!! THANKS ROY!!! I'll miss ya 360

After finding out that he drowned, I wonder what really went on during the several minutes according to the other dive master that passed before Roy was noticed missing.
Don't beat yourself up AL. I didn't know this fella, but my condolances go out to family and friends. A few years ago we lost a good friend. The autopsy came up "drowning". His senario was similar in that he was exerting himself (tieing into the wreck). He just happened to have a video camera w/him that was running. It showed random video (on running just hanging) and sound. the sound was his breathing, after about 15 min the breathing just stopped! In our discussions locally it was mentioned that it seems they frequently just get as far as water in the lungs on the autopsy and whala! it was drowning. Oh yes, differences w/ our friend he was almost 9 yrs younger, weighed in over 300lb, and hadn't been to a doctor.

I pray my epitath is:"He died doing what he loved at the ripe old age of 102"

DEEPLOU:
Don't beat yourself up AL. I didn't know this fella, but my condolances go out to family and friends. A few years ago we lost a good friend. The autopsy came up "drowning". His senario was similar in that he was exerting himself (tieing into the wreck). He just happened to have a video camera w/him that was running. It showed random video (on running just hanging) and sound. the sound was his breathing, after about 15 min the breathing just stopped! In our discussions locally it was mentioned that it seems they frequently just get as far as water in the lungs on the autopsy and whala! it was drowning. Oh yes, differences w/ our friend he was almost 9 yrs younger, weighed in over 300lb, and hadn't been to a doctor.

I pray my epitath is:"He died doing what he loved at the ripe old age of 102"
I guess you're right! I should just be happy for him that he went out doing what he loved and a real HERO. Nothing will bring him back and I know he wouldn't want anyone to bear the burden of his passing! That's the kind of class act he was!

There was another diving related injury at the same time in Morehead on a different boat. Does anyone have any details regarding it? I know that it was not tragic.

Apparently one of the other dive boats in the area had a "near" drowning. I "heard" it was a lady that either did drown or nearly drowned but thier crew was able to revive her and she was making good progress in Carteret Hospital.

I also dove with Roy a number of times.

He was a professional. I did not know him as personally as many of the rest of you, but I had great respect for his commitment and attention to detail.

It is a loss for the industry, as well as a personal loss to so many divers. My deepest condolences to his many friends and his family.

Bon Voyage, Roy.

Capt. AL:

Capt. Al,

Just an FYI (disclaimer: I am in the natural cholesterol lowering business) UNFORTUNATELY, The total cholesterol level number, which too many people use as an indicator of a problem or lack of problem, is not always a good indicator of whether or not someone is prone for a heart attack.

In many heart attacks, the heart attack it's self is the first indicator of a problem. Presently it seems that many in the health field feel that it is not the total cholesterol count that is relevant, but the GOOD CHOLESTEROL (HDL) number that is relevant. The ratio is also important, but not the total number. Many people with a so called high total number are healthy if the good cholesterol (HDL) number is high.

Point is to not be fooled by just a good number. It is many different things that are all related.

Heart disease is the leading killer of Americans and unfortunately, it is lifestyle that causes most of the problem.

It is tragic when it occurs and more so when in our sport, it is mislabeled as a drowning.

I did not know Roy and want to offer my sympathies to all that did. From those who knew him, it sounds like a tragic loss and his death was not in vain as he saved the life of another diver. I'm sure that is how he will be remembered.

Sorry for his loss. He seems to be a great guy. I also hope the diver he saved will be ok, knowing a man lost his life for him. That is a great burden to live with. Remember to keep in touch with his family they need you shoulder.

Roy was my very good friend and one of the best divemasters and captains with which I have ever worked. His passing has been very difficult for those of us who knew him well. I was so blessed to have been able to visit with him the day before he drowned, and to tell him I loved him.

Please remember his wife, stepdaughter, and the rest of his family in your prayers. If you'd like to help, you may donate to the Roy Cowan Memorial Fund at any Wachovia Bank. The account number is 1010158402536. The funds from this account will be used to help Roy's wife defray the cost of his passing, and expenses resulting thereof.

To my very good friend: calm seas and great vis...and Godspeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom