Diver death-North Wales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
News her in the UK is reporting the death of a woman diver at Dorothea Quarry, North Wales on Sunday 11th March. Early reports suggest an entangalment incident.
This quarry has seen a number of deaths. The news says that police have not released any further details yet.
Thoughts go to her loved ones

fyi; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6440713.stm

very sad.....

Woman diver feared dead in quarry

A woman is feared dead after she became caught up in underwater ropes while diving in Wales.
The woman, who is from the Cheshire area, was with a male friend when she got into difficulties at Dorothea Quarry, near Caernarfon, on Sunday.

The man tried to free her but was forced to return to the surface. He was later treated for shock and the bends.

Underwater search teams were called to look for the woman, who has not yet been named by North Wales Police.

Police arrived at the scene at about 1530 GMT.

A spokeswoman for the force said: "It is believed the woman became entangled in ropes underwater.

"The male diver stayed with her and tried to free her as long as possible until he was forced to swim back to the surface.

"An ambulance was called and the man was treated for shock and the effects of the bends.

"Underwater teams are now on the way to the quarry to recover the body."

This is so sad. My condolences to her family and friends. Maybe more fact will surface soon so that we might understand and learn from what has happened.

my prayers and wishes to family and friends. did neither one have a knife or a cutting tool of sum sort

Yeah, and I wonder if she got caught or if it was her equipment - ie, if it would have been possible for her to ditch the bc/tank and buddy breathe to the surface.

What a sad situation :(

A sad loss, indeed...
Gombessa:
Yeah, and I wonder if she got caught or if it was her equipment - ie, if it would have been possible for her to ditch the bc/tank and buddy breathe to the surface.

What a sad situation :(
I normally carry a small knife on my BC in freshwater practice dives, mostly because it's always there - but also good practice for wreck diving. I certainly know nothing about this quarry and what it's like to dive there. The FW practice pits I dive do not allow fishing, but fishing line can certainly be a big risk where allow - nearly invisible, nearly impossible to break.

Yeah, if you can't cut your buddy free, try removing him/her from the entangled kit for a joint ascent would seem a good idea. Better to treat them both for bends than leave one behind. I am not criticizing the surviving buddy, as I certainly do not know the whole story, nor would I want to - but that sounds like the lesson to be learned here, perhaps.

We seldom get more info than initial news stories with their common lackings. Hope we do get more facts.

Here is a 2004 article about the 300 ft deep quarry: "Why Dorothea claims lives" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_west/3557437.stm

What another sad turn of events. Condolances to all concerned

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom