Diver death in Lake Minnewanka, Alberta, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't there but was planning on going for a dive just for shiggles to Minni. Had I been there I would have been involved in the rescue / recovery. My heart goes out to the victim's family, the other students and the instructor.

Just my Two cents worth but I really hated the way the media reported this as an "instructor with 6 students". Thus implying that these were all a bunch of Newb that has never put on gear before. If I read this thread correctly this was an AOW class. They were all certified divers and should have briefed on the rules of engagement brefore entering the water. They knew the risks, they knew the rules.

We'll likely never know what happened but doesn't PADI keep records? I know that as a rescue diver you are required to submit a report to PADI for any dive accident that you are involved in.

Required? I don't think so, at least not for non-professionals.

Ahem... check with your local Padi Pro but as I understand it by being a rescue diver, if you are involved in, or witness a dive accident submitting a report to PADI is a requirement. I couldn't find it on the PADI site but I did check with a PADI Pro and they confirmed that for a certified rescue diver it is a requirement.

AUTOPSY SHOWS DIVER DROWNED
Local News
By Corrie DiManno
Posted 2 hours ago

The preliminary results of an autopsy on the 41-year-old Calgary man, who was found dead in Lake Minnewanka on Oct. 9, shows he died from drowning.

Banff RCMP Sgt. Rob Savage said the complete autopsy report is not in yet, though.

However, he said the diver's equipment has been ruled out as a cause of the accident in the RCMP investigation.

"All the equipment was checked, and everything was in working order," Savage said. "There was nothing suspicious."

The man was participating in a scuba diving class when he went missing during a dive. He was later located under the water and pronounced dead on the scene.'
THE CRAG

Sad all the way around - speculating won't do a lot right now, but there were no equipment issues.

The rescue as well as the search would be completely documented as it was conducted by PADI Pros onsite, and for them it is an absolute requirement of their professional status, as well as to guarantee PADI's support for any issues that arise after the fact.

Sorry guys - can't post the URL for the article I quoted - I have to have a minimum of 5 posts first. I'm forum challenged I guess . . .

It's from the Banff Crag and Canyon a couple hours back.

Ahem... check with your local Padi Pro but as I understand it by being a rescue diver, if you are involved in, or witness a dive accident submitting a report to PADI is a requirement. I couldn't find it on the PADI site but I did check with a PADI Pro and they confirmed that for a certified rescue diver it is a requirement.

check with more Padi Pro's

You might want to check other sources. It isn't a requirement - PADI lacks the authority to require anything of someone who isn't a PADI member (and as a non-professional, you can't be a member).

Or what? They take your rescue card away? Puh-leaze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom