Diver convicted in wife's drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Providence Journal (Rhode Island)
November 26, 2005 Saturday
SECTION: NEWS; Pg. A-03
LENGTH: 822 words

HEADLINE: Ethics case leaves hard feelings in Jamestown

BYLINE: BRUCE LANDIS, Journal Staff Writer

Some residents want to know why it took so long to find that former council member David Swain broke the law, but the Ethics Commission isn't saying.

Jamestown residents are wondering why it took the state Ethics Commission almost five years to decide that a former Town Council member repeatedly broke the law by voting on matters affecting his business partner.

They're not likely to find out, since the officials who know won't say. Whatever the reason, the residents who filed the complaint against David Swain think that ethics law enforcement is pretty well discredited in Jamestown.

After so long, the decision "loses any impact that it should have," said Dorsey M. Beard, one of the complainants. The commission, she said, agreed with her and the other complainants that Swain had committed multiple ethics violations, but failed to follow through on the case.

As the case against Swain dragged on, he was able to run for reelection, serve a two-year term and retire from the council without the commission deciding the case.

Ethics Commission officials say the case was unusual, even unique, in the amount of time it took to resolve. They insist that there is, as one of them put it, nothing "sinister" about the delay.

But, "I can't discuss it," said Kent A. Willever, the commission's executive director, who joined the commission in August 2001.

Ten Jamestown residents, including a few town officials, filed the complaint against Swain on Nov. 1, 2000. They said that Swain, who operated a scuba diving and kayak-rental business, was using his government position to vote in favor of the interests of his business partner William Munger, the owner of Conanicut Marine Services, which does business on the Jamestown waterfront.

The commission's staff completed its investigation in August 2001, presenting its case to the commission that same month. The commission voted Aug. 21, 2001, to find probable cause to believe that Swain broke the state ethics laws four times.

The next step was for the commission to hold a trial-like hearing on the charges and then decide the case. The alternative was for Swain to negotiate a settlement, which is how most ethics prosecutions end. And that is how the Swain case was disposed of.

However, it didn't happen until Oct. 11, 2005, when Swain admitted that the commission had enough evidence to show that he had broken the law. Swain agreed to pay a $750 fine.

Ethics officials say that the Swain case stands alone.

"It's unique," said commission prosecutor Jason Gramitt. "It's not characteristic of any other complaints I'm aware of. You can't judge the Ethics Commission based on one complaint." Of the backlog of cases he inherited in 2001, Willever said, the Swain case was the only one to drag on for so long.

The Jamestown residents who filed the complaint, however, say that the Swain case is what forms their town's perception of the Ethics Commission.

"It's worse than ineffectual," said Darcy Magratten, one of the complainants.

At the time the complaint was filed, the commission was at a low point. Long-running internal disputes ended with the commission firing its executive director, Martin F. Healey, in April 2001. Government-reform groups accused the commission of failing at its job of maintaining ethical standards among state and local officials. Getting little help from the governor or the General Assembly, the commission's staff had shrunk to four. It is 12 now. Katherine D'Arezzo, the chief prosecutor, became temporary executive director and was for a time the commission's only lawyer. There are five lawyers on the staff now.

To replace Healey, the commission hired Willever, a former chief Navy appellate judge, who became executive director a week after the commission agreed to prosecute Swain. That left Willever in charge and D'Arezzo handling the Swain case until she went on maternity leave from the commission early this year.

Jamestown residents became upset over Willever's assurances that the case was about to move forward. After repeated complaints about lack of action, Willever wrote to two complainants in November 2002 to reassure them. He wrote, "This complaint is the next matter to be scheduled for adjudication, absent the parties reaching an agreement in the interim." Neither happened.

The Jamestown complainants say the Ethics Commission not only took an absurd amount of time to dispose of the case, it settled for a fine so small that it won't deter other misconduct.

What was needed, Magratten said, was a strong message to public officials in Jamestown and elsewhere that they must play by the rules, "that you can't do these things."

Instead, she said, the fine levied against Swain was like a parking ticket, a modest penalty that a violator can absorb as a cost of doing business.

Gramitt, however, said that the settlement marks Swain as an admitted lawbreaker. "If you settle a case, you're admitting to a violation of the code," he said.

"In the deposition the jury watched yesterday, Olenn is heard asking Swain several times to explain the statements he gave to the Tortola police three hours after a diving friend of Swain's had pulled Tyre's body up from 80 feet of water.

In that written statement, Olenn said, Swain indicated it was Tyre who swam off and left him by the wrecks and that Swain, when he could not find her, went looking for her.

Reading from the statement -- which Swain initialed by page and signed at the bottom as accurate -- Olenn said: " 'After I looked around for a few minutes I decided to go to shallow water to try to locate her.' "

Which was the right version of events? Olenn asked Swain. The one he gave that day or the one he was giving now, four years later.

Replied Swain: "I don't know why I told the police I was going off to locate her."

Either scenario raises lots of questions. If he went looking for her, the odds of him not seeing her body or her fin in the sand are next to impossible. If he didn't go looking for her than he was lying to the police during statements he made right after the accident. People lie because they have something to hide. Innocent people do not.

"Olenn is also heard in the videotaped deposition asking Swain where was the dive computer he wore that day, which would have registered how long he was under the water and what depths he reached.

"I haven't a clue," said Swain.

He said he also could not remember where the photographs were that he took during the dive."

Yes I know it's years later...but how many divers on this board would not be able to remember what became of their equipment used during a dive in which their spouse suffered a fatal accident?

David's attorney in the civil case, Paul Anderson, may have been sick with cancer, but his law firm of Anderson, Zangari & Bossian began a bitter battle of dissolution starting in 2004 and ending in January, 2006. A dissolution so bitterly contested that it established legal precedence:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/rhodeislandstatecases/2006/04-187.pdf

Paul Anderson was involved in an appeal that was filed in 2006 which was also a precedent-setting car accident case:

http://www.courts.state.ri.us/supreme/pdf-files/06-270.pdf

These cases are not published on findlaw.com unless they set precedent of some kind, so Paul Anderson was unquestionably, a very busy lawyer during this critical period of Swain's civil case which started in Feb. 2006. I always wondered why he did not provide David Swain with a back-up lawyer from his law firm, the bitter dissolution of his law practice answers that question. I get the impression that David resented the law suit and resented the idea that he had to spend any of his money or his time defending against it. David had no money left. He's standing outside the courtroom where his civil trial is taking place inside the courtroom, for several days, talking to the press, trying to get his side heard through the press. I'm sure his attorney did not advise him to do that. I can't help but wonder if Mr. Anderson, esq., just wanted Swain off his back and Swain's attitude made for an easy-out for him. Certainly, with Mr. Anderson's experience in car accident cases, he would have some grasp of potential wrongful death claims.

Last edited:
I always wondered why he did not provide David Swain with a back-up lawyer from his law firm, the bitter dissolution of his law practice answers that question. I get the impression that David resented the law suit and resented the idea that he had to spend any of his money or his time defending against it. David had no money left. I can't help but wonder if Mr. Anderson, esq., just wanted Swain off his back and Swain's attitude made for an easy-out for him. Certainly, with Mr. Anderson's experience in car accident cases, he would have some grasp of potential wrongful death claims.

I know, right?

Attorney: "Sorry Dave, I know that this is a civil trial that can easily lead to a criminal trial if you're found guilty of causing the death of your wife, which is extremely likely if you don't have an attorney to represent you, and that can mean anything up to and including life in prison...but I am too sick to represent you at trial, and I can't provide you with another attorney, so my suggestion is don't show up for trial and hope for the best, good bye and good luck".

David: "That's fine, I spent enough money already on this BS so screw the courts and screw the Tyres I'm outta here!"

slpvo7.gif

I thought this was an interesting point that Swain was trying to make in this article:

.."The jury foreman said no other explanation exists for her death other than "human intervention," and that Swain was the only person near her.

"Is that proof?" asks Swain, 50, who has never been criminally charged with his wife's death. "Why was it obvious that it was human intervention?"

One of the first skills divers learn, says Swain, is how to shed your scuba gear if in trouble.

"Shelley had been trained multiple, multiple times how to get out of her gear. If someone was attacking you from your tank, what is to prevent someone from saying: 'I'm getting out of my gear' and five seconds later you are out of your gear?" with the simple release of snaps."

Source (Lexis/Nexis): http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4934718-post544.html

Uh, maybe she could get out of her gear, but exactly how would that help her underwater at 80 feet? All the attacker has to do is jerk the equipment away from her and she drowns without a reg. Reality is, she probably had very little time to react before she drowned and her initial reaction would be to get her mask back and to keep the reg in her mouth if someone was attacking her. And, if someone was turning off her air from behind, as Swain argues (with no consideration to the mask damage), it wouldn't do her any good to get out of her equipment either. She wasn't at 20-25 feet and could just head for the surface and survive! Five seconds to get her gear off? Easy as 1-2-3? While she is under attack and under stress? Just as simple as that? Like a casual walk in the park? This is, without a doubt, the stupidest thing Swain has said to-date and it goes to show that he gave no real thought about what happened to his wife.

This is, without a doubt, the stupidest thing Swain has said to-date and it goes to show that he gave no real thought about what happened to his wife.

Actually, I'd say that what it shows is that David's a lousy substitution for a defense attorney and should never have attempted to represent himself - and I'd agree that it a pretty poor defense against a murder charge. Look - here's a guy who has NO legal training and NO trial experience defending himself against a seasoned trial attorney who has accused him of murdering his wife. Given that he doesn't *know* what happened to Shelley and I really do think that he underestimated the scope of the civil trial (as in, I think he truly believed that it was all about money and didn't anticipate that it could have ramifications beyond that - whether he should have or not), I think he was trying to refute the prosecution's case however he could - I don't think he was giving a lot of thought as to how he'd look to others while he was doing it.

I think that he made a major mistake in not getting another attorney back when his trial attorney developed cancer. But that's my opinion and I wasn't advising him. I wish I knew more about all the ins and outs about exactly what led to that decision, but I've posted what I learned about it from those close to David here and even I still find that decision a bit confusing.

But I guess I'm capable of putting myself in the David's shoes and trying to ask myself what I would do/say if I were accused of killing my husband during a dive when I wasn't anywhere near him....how would I refute those charges if I had to represent myself in court? (Of course, knowing what I know now, I would never, ever go to court without a really good attorney representing me - no matter how much I had to beg or borrow to do it...)

Last edited:
This is, without a doubt, the stupidest thing Swain has said to-date and it goes to show that he gave no real thought about what happened to his wife.

Why do I not expect K_girl to be thanked for this post by AfterDark and SadiesMom?

The Providence Journal (Rhode Island)
November 26, 2005 Saturday
SECTION: NEWS; Pg. A-03
LENGTH: 822 words

HEADLINE: Ethics case leaves hard feelings in Jamestown

BYLINE: BRUCE LANDIS, Journal Staff Writer

Some residents want to know why it took so long to find that former council member David Swain broke the law, but the Ethics Commission isn't saying.

And what the Projo writer Bruce Landis doesn't say is that David requested a ruling by the Ethics Commission shortly after he was elected in 1999 - BEFORE any complaints against him. And that he recused himself from any votes that directly involved his business interests with Conanicut Marina (which, in actuality were pretty minor), but voted only on secondary issues - and only then at the request of voters and the other Town Council members, who felt that it was important that all 5 elected Town Councilors vote. So the decision that he asked for a month after he was elected to his first term as Town Councilor was finally given several months after he finished his SECOND term and chose not to run for a THIRD term. If he'd waited for them, he wouldn't have been able to vote on anything during two terms as Town Councilor regarding use of the water in Jamestown - which is pretty much everything, since Jamestown is an island.

Since ethics complaints can have fines up to $25,000 per issue (or a total of a possible fine of $125,000 ), the fact that this was settled for a total fine of $750 indictates how much weight the ethics commission put on this. Again - it looks bad when you report it a certain way (i.e. not reporting certain things), but if you dig into the actual facts, the truth is that this was a minor town politics skirmish in a home rule state where small town politics are rife with this kind of thing.

In fact, if you go to the RI Ethics Commission's website and read the whole complaint, it's quite clear that the mitigating factors submitted by David were taken into consideration in a major way (i.e., his explanation of why he voted when he did) and why the fine was so minimal.

You will also see a number of Ethics complaints against: The sitting governor (Donald Carcieri), various mayors ( Mollis, Larisa, Gaschen, Menard), the speaker of the General Assembly ( Montalbano) and his successor to be (Gordon Fox), municipal workers (Dunn, Smith) and other Town Council members (DeMello, Carriero, Oliviera, Serdakowski), etc. Filing ethics complaints againts officials is a sport here.

http://www.ethics.ri.gov/complaints/decisions/index.php

Last edited:
I think he was trying to refute the prosecution's case however he could - I don't think he was giving a lot of thought as to how he'd look to others while he was doing it.

You make a valid point. David was "trying to refute the prosecutions case as best he could".

If David stuck to the facts, and was HONEST, then perhaps his credibility would not have been brought into question.

But of course he didn't. He opted to distort, to lie, to fabricate. He proposed several absurd theories such as "equipment degrades over time" and he said "I tried to look for her" and then he changed that story to say he never tried to look for her...and that whole thing about her "being able to remove her gear" as she was trained to do...

Always better to take the high road, tell it like it is...that is of course if you've got nothing to hide.

Sadiesmom - I would have to say that David's downfall wasn't that he was so unprepared to defend himself - it was his arrogance and dismissive attitude. I found it interesting to learn that the judge in the civil case made many of the same points I have made. You've got a defendant that you have been telling for three years to get a back-up lawyer who doesn't listen. You've got a defendant who defiantly goes off and sells everything in his store and takes the proceeds during a trial where that business is in dispute. You've got a defendant arrogantly standing outside the courtroom where their case is being tried, completely unchallenged, talking to the press, trying to make his case in the press. I have no doubt that judge made the ramifications of Swain's decisions quite clear to him as one of the appeal judges said that no judge wants to try a case in pro-per (self-representation), but Swain gave the judge no choice in the matter. Swain's arguments of not being able to trust another attorney - just more attempts at delay. This struggle between the judge and Swain was going on for three long years and the years of Swain's delays had to come to an end.

It does not take a diver nor a lawyer to realize that some of the explanations he has attempted to put forth are complete hogwash. It only takes a little common sense to know that if someone got out of their gear at 80 feet - they are going to drown. I agree with you, he would have done much better if he had kept his mouth shut and let his attorneys do the talking. Problem is, he couldn't and the damage is done - he can't undo it. Statements he made in his deposition, to the press and his behavior in the civil trial cannot be wiped away, even if he gets a new trial.

Sadiemom, as far as your explanation regarding the ethics violations, I believe that may be reasonable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom