DIR- Generic Diver attitude! Be careful, experienced divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cant see the logic in divers paranoia of gate clips, climbers have used them for 100 years without an issue
This isn’t exactly true, with many incidents of injury and death through crab failure, or ropes “jumping” out of crabs; not to mention snagging exactly as they might during diving. Which is why we use screw gates for anything that isn’t a runner, the main difference being your stability during clipping and the speed you need to make the clip. If there was a better way/clip, we’d use it.

Imagine her horror if she saw one of these...
1_033e78148d398080c630e462fcd44741.jpg

I'm still terrified, since we're so far off topic.

Bolt snaps can clog up and jam in muddy or sandy conditions.
Carabiner style clips don’t.
So what are you saying, that we should all start using carabiner suicide clips instead because bolt snaps might clog up?
I’ve never jammed up a bolt snap with sand or grit and I’ve done plenty of beach crawl outs in surf.
I don’t need any more drama in my diving so I think I’ll stick with bolt snaps.

The biggest thing we worried about diving in OW with a gate clip or suicide clip like many like to call it, is not so much catching and clipping something unwanted like line, but more that something clipped off with one can loop around opening the clip and you can lose stuff.
Bolt snaps won’t do that.
I saw a caver rig his dive flag with one. I've seen lobsterers use one on their nets, tickle sticks, and loops. I've seen spearos use them as well. No one has died in OW due to using one that I know of.

There’s more than enough nonsense to get snagged up on
I was diving the Speigel Grove with a renowned instructor as a guest speaker for his class. He's all cool doing a frog kick when a loop of mono gets snagged by the knob of his yoke style reg. He realizes he's not moving well, so he kicks harder. And harder, And harder. Well, about the time he's kicking a mad paced flutter, I finally reach him to snip the line. ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the boat he's complaining about the wild current he ran into. Bwahahahaha! The look of disbelief on his face when I clued him in. Bwahahahaha x100! It still makes me giggle. That made the whole class worthwhile.

Situational awareness is knowing the limits of your kit and keeping yourself free from snags. If it's too much, then bag it.

For me, I just don’t even wanna have the chance. There’s more than enough nonsense to get snagged up on and carabiners don’t give any advantage over bolt snaps.
i wont disagree

So what are you saying, that we should all start using carabiner suicide clips instead because bolt snaps might clog up?
I’ve never jammed up a bolt snap with sand or grit and I’ve done plenty of beach crawl outs in surf.
I don’t need any more drama in my diving so I think I’ll stick with bolt snaps.
Only saying that boltsnaps can jam.

And they can catch line, especially the rounded knob ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom