DiveNav/DCBuddy/Diving Log 5.0/Dive Log/DivePal/and more... Which to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

If the Puck 3 is actually a Puck in a console, Diving Log 5.0 can download it directly. You can also sync to the iOS Dive Log app from More Mobile Software. And you can also export your data to Excel or several cloud solutions.

Kind regards,
Sven

image.jpgWell with the depth issues I had on divepal's iPhone app identified above...I guess I'll bite the bullet and pay the $12 to try the dive log app. Dive pal app was really nice...just need depth portion to work. Thanks to divenav for the post above letting me know dc buddy will work with dive log as well!

..... Well with the depth issues I had on divepal's iPhone app identified above.......
As indicated earlier the divePAL iphone app works fine and it does NOT have a "depth issue".
Also, I gave you a quick explanation on how to set Max Depth and Dive Time when creating a manual log. I guess You need more details.
Here You go:

When you create a manual log with divePAL iPhone, it is good practice to also create a dive profile for it.

In the log screen tap on Tap to Add Profile and the app will show a screen where you can enter max depth and dive time ....

divenav_divepal_manual_log_1.jpg

... now enter Max Depth and Dive Time in the appropriate screens. Once you are done tap on Set ....

divenav_divepal_manual_log_2.jpg

... and the app will show you the Dive Profile Edit screen.

divenav_divepal_manual_log_3.jpg

At this point you have 2 options.

Option 1 is to save the data without creating a dive profile. If you tap on Save, the app will save in the log the max depth and dive time you just entered but it will NOT create a dive profile (note that if a log does not have a dive profile, the app will NOT be able to analyze it - we can not analyze something that does not exists...).

The other option is to create a dive profile.
To do so, just tap on the screen where you want to place a data point in the dive profile.
In the example below we added 2 points to create a simple square (actually U shaped) dive profile.

divenav_divepal_manual_log_4.jpg

Once you are done tap on Save to close the Dive Profile Edit screen and to return to the log.

As you can see in image below, now the log has a new Max Depth and Dive Time and also a dive profile that you can analyze.

divenav_divepal_manual_log_5.jpg

As indicated earlier the divePAL iphone app works fine and it does NOT have a "depth issue".
Also, I gave you a quick explanation on how to set Max Depth and Dive Time when creating a manual log. I guess You need more details.
Here You go:

When you create a manual log with divePAL iPhone, it is good practice to also create a dive profile for it.

In the log screen tap on Tap to Add Profile and the app will show a screen where you can enter max depth and dive time ....

divenav_divepal_manual_log_1.jpg

... now enter Max Depth and Dive Time in the appropriate screens. Once you are done tap on Set ....

divenav_divepal_manual_log_2.jpg

... and the app will show you the Dive Profile Edit screen.

divenav_divepal_manual_log_3.jpg

At this point you have 2 options.

Option 1 is to save the data without creating a dive profile. If you tap on Save, the app will save in the log the max depth and dive time you just entered but it will NOT create a dive profile (note that if a log does not have a dive profile, the app will NOT be able to analyze it - we can not analyze something that does not exists...).

The other option is to create a dive profile.
To do so, just tap on the screen where you want to place a data point in the dive profile.
In the example below we added 2 points to create a simple square (actually U shaped) dive profile.

divenav_divepal_manual_log_4.jpg

Once you are done tap on Save to close the Dive Profile Edit screen and to return to the log.

As you can see in image below, now the log has a new Max Depth and Dive Time and also a dive profile that you can analyze.

divenav_divepal_manual_log_5.jpg

setting the "points" in the dive profile is the step I was missing. everything works perfectly now! i wasn't trying down the software, i just wasn't putting it all together. works fine now, no issues. and now i have this software plus the dive log software. i plan on using them both for a while just to see which i prefer.

again, both apps appear to work perfectly now and i really like them both at this point.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2015 at 04:52 PM ----------

App works fine (almost) :D
When you create a manual log make sure you also create a dive profile for it.
Tap on "Tap to Add Profile"
Enter Max Depth and Dive Time and then tap on Set
The app will then show you a screen where you can draw a dive profile..... tap on the screen to create as many points as you like.
Tap Save once you are done with it.

divePAL iPhone is a bit limited compared to divePAL Windows or divePAL iPad (screen is much smaller) and some features are not available.
As an example, in divePAL iPhone you can not edit a dive profile once you have entered it (just delete the dive and re-do it), but in divePAL Windows and divePAL iPad you can. (Will see if we can add it to the next version)

when you sent these instructions originally, and said to tap points...as many as you like...i thought that was a suggested option, not a requirement to make the dive log record depth. as you mentioned in the latest post, i see now tapping points is reuired. my thought process was since i was doing it manually and did not know what depth i was at what time of my dive, i could just leave the points blank and it would register my dive at x depth for x time...the entire time.

understand how it works now though. plan on utilizing both apps for a few months and see which i prefer...but both are pretty awesome now that i can work them both.

thanks for the clarification!

Dc buddy came in this morning. Both divepal and dive log recognize it. Can't download logs from either though.

Divepal gives me an error as seen in the photo below.

Dive log doesn't have a choice for mares computers...which I though in a prior post I was told dcbuddy would work with mares puck for both divepal and dive log.

image.jpgDivepal error

image.jpgDive log computer choices

Dive log app says it supports mares. Don't see the choice anywhere in the app
image.jpg

SUCCESS!!! Last post I promise.

Big thank you to the following:

- Sven with Dive Log 5.0. There was a little confusion on my part in distinguishing his software, PC Dive Log 5.0 and Greg McLaughlin's app Dive Log. Since I wanted to utilize an app on my phone, Sven got me in the right direction and in touch w/ Greg.

- DiveNav. Ran into some issues with the divePAL app...however they were able to get me divepal for dummies instructions and helped me get the app working. They also pointed me in the direction of buying a DC Buddy, which is definitely worth the money and definitely compatible with the divePAL app and the Dive Log app.

- Greg McLaughlin with the Dive Log app. Awesome guy. Helped me get the beta version so that my Mares puck would be recognized on his app. Walked me step by step with connecting diveNav's DC Buddy to my Puck to his Dive Log software. Had to send multiple failed transmission logs to him, however the errors were all on my side. He basically held my hand via email until we got it working.

I'd recommend working with all of the guys above depending on your need. If you are needing PC based software, Sven can get you going. If you need an awesome connection tool, DiveNav can get you going. And if you need great apps, both DiveNav and Greg McLaughlin's Dive Log work in conjunction with the DC Buddy.

Highly recommend all three!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom