divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ:
The scariest thing about the PADI DM course is that it is possible to actually get the cert with next to no contact with real divers.... "simulated training exercises" are not the same as having to deal with real divers with real problems.

I agree with you there!

J.

AndyNZ:
The scariest thing about the PADI DM course is that it is possible to actually get the cert with next to no contact with real divers.... "simulated training exercises" are not the same as having to deal with real divers with real problems.

I must have done a different PADI DM course. I followed the route where you had to assist with a number of OW pool sessions, act as a DM in training in at least four OW certification dives and at least one course beyond that, and was assessed by an instructor while supervising a dive (happened to be one of the LDS weekly organized dives). The instructors had to sign off indicating that the work was done to their satisfaction. The only "simulated training exercises" were those done in the pool where we had to demonstrate skills and when we worked through the snorkelling bit.

Hank49:
Make the dive industry like the medical doctor deal. Only so many are accepted per year. Then those that are instructors would actually make a decent living. Most quit the industry within a year after becoming an instructor because you just can't make any money at it.

I beg to differ. You can make a living at it. You just have to find your niche. :)

tedtim:
I must have done a different PADI DM course. I followed the route where you had to assist with a number of OW pool sessions, act as a DM in training.....

Yes, there are two routes..... sounds like you did the "internship" option (good choice!) but it is possible to go the "practical training exercises" route. I don't have the details to hand, but actual student contact is virtually non-existant. A lot of the zero-to-hero DM courses go for this option which is why they can squeeze out a DM cert in ten days or so.....

slipslop:
i have just read a post (not on scubaboard) by a youngster with 15 logged dives who wants to do his recue course then divemaster course. surely you need a lot more experience to become a divemaster? i wouldnt feel safe knowing my divemaster has so few dives. I have done over 100 dives and dont feel i can even call myself an advanced diver. what do you think?

Well, for PADI you only need 20 dives to start the DM course and 60 to finish it. I'd say for a working DM that's way too few but a lot of people do the DM course just for their training - it doesn't have to be because you want to work in the dive industry.

Personally though I'd say you should at least be able to do bouyancy control without thinking about it before doing even the Rescue course - how can you bring another diver to the surface safely if you can't even manage your own bouyancy properly? For most people this seems to mean around 50 logged dives.

tedtim:
AndyNZ:

I must have done a different PADI DM course. I followed the route where you had to assist with a number of OW pool sessions, act as a DM in training in at least four OW certification dives and at least one course beyond that, and was assessed by an instructor while supervising a dive (happened to be one of the LDS weekly organized dives). The instructors had to sign off indicating that the work was done to their satisfaction. The only "simulated training exercises" were those done in the pool where we had to demonstrate skills and when we worked through the snorkelling bit.

No, you did the same course, and you did it the same way I did. There is an alternate way to do it where other Instructors, AI's or DM's "act" as students. I was told this is the way the Divemaster course is taught at ProDive and some other places. If you were to go back and look at your sign-off sheet, you would see some unused spaces which would have been signed off, had you done it without "real" students.

Julie

PADI - (P)ut (A)nother (D)ollar (I)n

Padi allows continuing education without the experience requirement... face it... Padi allows you to be an "Advanced" Diver with as few as 5 dives under your belt. What a joke. At least SSI has an experience requirment - which to my knowledge - there is no way around.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom