Divemaster Training in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hiroshimasunset

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
:confused:Hi Everyone.

I am interested an internship style Divemaster in Thailand and would like advice from others who have done this, or who have worked in the industry in Thailand. I currently live in New Zealand and am heading to Thailand in March. I want to find a suitable dive centre, possibly in the Krabi province, to do my Rescue Diver course with, aswell as find a centre that is interested in training me as a Divemaster in exchange for my time, skills, enthusiasm and no doubt, some dosh. I don't want a facility that will rush me through the Divemaster qualification as fast as possible, take my cash and send me on my way with my certification. I want to gain the kind of experience a Divemaster should have, by working closely with professionals in the industry, racking up plenty of dive hours, and having contact with divers coming through the dive centre. Eventually I wish to seek work in the industry.

Anyone out there pursued this kind of path, or have any info./advice for me?

B.

Hiroshima,

By March, the Andaman side is slowly going into their low/rainy season, considering that you're looking at a DM internship, which in average is about 6 weeks, you may end up finishing your DM training in the rainy season.

Have a look at Koh Lanta, relaxed and laid back and plenty of shops around to choose from.

In the Gulf, you'll normally have great conditions starting from April onwards.

That time of year is great on the west coast, as the diving is still awesome.

Sadly it is less and less common for schools to offer free DM training in exchange for work. Usually you will find two options:
  1. just paying your cash and doing a 2-4 week course where you will do the dives you need, do the lectures you need and get out.
  2. Internship. Minimum 4 weeks, doing a bit more what you describe
You are completely correct in what you think you should get out of your course. I did mine that way (I got more than 100 dives and took 2 months) and came out much more experienced.

For that reason, I would again recommend Koh Tao. You will be focused on learning, you will be surrounded by either Instructors who are constantly teaching, or beginning students and that will really give you an idea about the common mistakes made and how to deal with them.

With experience, I am very comfortable recommending Scuba Junction as a smaller school focused on the individual. Big BLue is great, a larger school, but Jim Donaldson is an incredible Instructor/Manager and can give you real tips on what to look for.

hiroshimasunset:
:confused:Hi Everyone.

I don't want a facility that will rush me through the Divemaster qualification as fast as possible, take my cash and send me on my way with my certification. I want to gain the kind of experience a Divemaster should have, by working closely with professionals in the industry, racking up plenty of dive hours, and having contact with divers coming through the dive centre.

B.

The way to do go Hiroshimasunset! Take your time and learn as much as possible. Good luck!

Send an email to my friends at http://www.scuba-fish.com/ - they run two 5-star PADI centers on Koh Lanta (off the coast in Krabi). I know they do DM training and all the rest but I have no idea how they deal with internships and so on. They are really cool folks however and I've never heard any complaints about their instructors!

Good luck with your course!

Best,
TAD

I agree with Similan Diver, Koh Tao is a great option. Its easy to log plenty of dives and gain a lot of experience from the community around you. There's no need to rush the course as you wont be prepared for the job afterwards. I took 3 months and logged over 150 dives. When choosing the school look for somewhere with a few DMT's so you have people to share the experience with, but watch out for large schools who refer to you as a number. Have a great time, I know I did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom