January Trip to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jumping in here as I just found out we have to go to HK in early Jan. so tacked on a week in Thailand at the end (arriving Phuket Jan. 13, leaving Jan. 21). My wife and son do not dive, but want to snorkel. I was thinking of Khao Lak as we have no interest in nightlife, etc., and quieter plus access to the parks north/east seems attractive. I'd appreciate any input about Khao Lak vs. other choices for our mixed (dive/snorkel) group - e.g., any recommendations for boats that take divers and snorkelers and do anything other than tell snorkelers to jump in at dive sites where the water is too deep to see much? Not sure it makes sense to try a LoB, though I see a few with 3-4 d. trips to the Similans that fit our schedule. I suspect it will end up as wife/son on snorkel day tour and me on dive day tour, so separate recommendations also greatly appreciated. Strong recommendation for somewhere else accessible from Phuket fine, too. Thanks!

Khao Lak, will mean long days on the boat if you want to dive, totally doable but you will probably only dive 2 or 3 days. Some great hotels on Koh Lak depending on your budget

Koh Phi Phi maybe a better destination if you were to stay on Long beach or one of the quieter beaches as you can do day trips from there and I would add a day on Phuket to go to the old town and do some tourist stuff if you have not been to Asia before

For a one week trip, I would reconsider Phuket. An easily accessible reef and very good snorkeling spot is right off Kata Beach in southern Phuket. There is also a shallow fringing coral reef on the little island (Koh Poo) directly offshore. For you as a diver, there is plenty of diving in and around Kata Bay itself...the reef, shallow pinnacles, artificial reefs, and muck sites (seahorses and Mimic Octopus anyone?). A group of us local divers dive the bay almost daily. Therefore, you and the family can both enjoy a day on the water together. I've posted detailed reports and photos on diving Kata so search under my username if interested. You can also take an all day boat trip to sites in Phang Nga Bay for deeper open water diving. (There are shallow bays in Racha Island sites for snorkelers.) Kata and Kata Noi are much more laid back in terms of nightlife than Patong. There is also the Rawai area 10 minutes further south, which is even more quiet.

PM me if you want further info.

Jumping in here as I just found out we have to go to HK in early Jan. so tacked on a week in Thailand at the end (arriving Phuket Jan. 13, leaving Jan. 21). My wife and son do not dive, but want to snorkel. I was thinking of Khao Lak as we have no interest in nightlife, etc., and quieter plus access to the parks north/east seems attractive. I'd appreciate any input about Khao Lak vs. other choices for our mixed (dive/snorkel) group - e.g., any recommendations for boats that take divers and snorkelers and do anything other than tell snorkelers to jump in at dive sites where the water is too deep to see much? Not sure it makes sense to try a LoB, though I see a few with 3-4 d. trips to the Similans that fit our schedule. I suspect it will end up as wife/son on snorkel day tour and me on dive day tour, so separate recommendations also greatly appreciated. Strong recommendation for somewhere else accessible from Phuket fine, too. Thanks!
I am also arriving at Phuket on 13th Jan but move on to Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe.
With only a week you are better off at Koh Phi Phi and stay away from Phuket altogether. There is nothing interesting there. Good diving sites are south of the Island.
Ferry(speed boat) to Koh Phi Phi departs from Rassada pier which is NOT far from Phuket Old town. There is a airport AC bus running every hour until 18:00 fare is THB 100.00. Plenty of good hotels around Bus Terminal 1.
There is another airport bus going to those touristy beaches.
Phuket Old Town is great to spend a day or two there. 99 Oldtown Boutique Guesthouse!!! Far out.

January is peak season so you are paying premium for accommodation in Koh Phi Phi. Beware of cattle boat.
Koh Lipe is just too far otherwise it is highly suitable for your family.

@Centrals why do you dislike Phuket so much? 100's of thousands go there every year, have fun and enjoy it, so why poo poo it every opportunity? There are some truly great hotels, amazing restaurants, decent bars, beautiful beaches and decent sights. If you do not live in Asia and have never been before then it is a great place to start your SE Asian adventures.

I realise there is a seedy side to small areas of Phuket, just like there is a seedy side to Hong Kong around TST, Mongkok and Wanchai but you can easily avoid it if you want in Phuket

@Centrals why do you dislike Phuket so much? 100's of thousands go there every year, have fun and enjoy it, so why poo poo it every opportunity? There are some truly great hotels, amazing restaurants, decent bars, beautiful beaches and decent sights. If you do not live in Asia and have never been before then it is a great place to start your SE Asian adventures.

I realise there is a seedy side to small areas of Phuket, just like there is a seedy side to Hong Kong around TST, Mongkok and Wanchai but you can easily avoid it if you want in Phuket
Incredible!
All I did say:
1. Day trip diving out from Phuket is waste of time and money. Period.
2. There is nothing interesting in Phuket. Period.
All personal opinions, like it or not, owe no explanation to no one.
I only used HKT airport and spend as little time as possible if I like. I can travel from Koh Lanta, Koh Lipe or Koh Tao and catch the late flight home all within same day without any need to stop over in Phuket.

There are plenty tourists dislike Phuket, look it up on internet. Nothing right/wrong either. We all have different requirements in life.

Seedy places in HK!! Phuket is in the premier league in Asia together with Bangkok and Pattaya.

Day boat from Phuket is waste of money. If you really want to do day dive out from Phuket then make sure the operator does not take divers from other shops.
I had this in Koh Tao last June. One of the RAID operators used spare space on the boat. What a poor advertisement they were for RAID, it took them longer to get ready and enter the water then some OW students on their first boat dive. They spent more time playing round with the kit than actually using it. Such that I got 2 dives in to their one. they took up space that would normally accommodate 10 for 4 divers

I had this in Koh Tao last June. One of the RAID operators used spare space on the boat. What a poor advertisement they were for RAID, it took them longer to get ready and enter the water then some OW students on their first boat dive. They spent more time playing round with the kit than actually using it. Such that I got 2 dives in to their one. they took up space that would normally accommodate 10 for 4 divers
Of all the places that I had dived in SE Asia, Thailand is the only country that I had had the displeasure of diving from a "cattle boat".
Phuket is the WORST by far.

Um, I really appreciate all of you being very helpful to me. But I didn't mean to precipitate a fight amongst folks. Maybe try to be nicer to each other? I know you can do it, since you've all been nice to me.

Of all the places that I had dived in SE Asia, Thailand is the only country that I had had the displeasure of diving from a "cattle boat".
Phuket is the WORST by far.
The "cattle boats" are mostly in Phuket. Other places in Thailand are with "normal" boats. Also one think to consider is the use of speed boats ! If the sea is choppy it is just a torture !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom