Divemaster training..as it goes.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see you recently tool the DM test for PADI - I will be taking it this week and was wondering the foolowing as I have read several different pieces of information about the test itself. One description indicated that the test soley focused on the PADI book itself with little from the Encyclopedia of Rec Diving. Another stated that there is material from both. I am just trying to narrow down what it is I really need to review? Any help or suggestions??
There was material from both when I took it but I think I may have taken the older version.

" I was told that becoming a DM might subsidize my diving expenses" very misleading and often used to entice new divers into becoming DM students. Before you get to DM even did they tell you how much DM will cost you outside of the course itself? Do you own a full set of gear? You should. What about all the trips to the pool and dive sites that your training will require?

DM's unfortunately rarely make enough to subsidize their diving. And this is partly due to DM's themselves who choose to work for free and devalue the rating for others. Why buy the milk when you can get the cow for free right? That's how shops look at it. Being a DM may allow you to write off some expenses but in order to do that you have to show some kind of income from it. Ask the shop if they plan on hiring you and what the rate of compensation will be when they do? Ask them what kind of gear discount you will get and how often. How much will you get for doing pool sessions and checkout dives as an assistant?

And will you be required to do other things like work in the shop or rinsing and hauling gear while learning to be a DM? None of which is required by the way but shops seem to think it's ok to use DM candidates as free labor justifying it by saying those are DM duties. And how many classes will you get to intern if they are very busy? How many of their prior DMC's are now employed , not used but actually employed, by them and making some kind of money that justifies their statement?

Personally a DM, IMO, needs not only more than 50 dives to start but should have experience in salt and fresh water, cold, low vis, and be a damn good underwater navigator. I also think they should be required to take some type of tech class, even just a good intro to tech, before starting DM.

I would agree with Jim in the fact that you need to analyze your costs and get more dives logged before approaching DM. You will definitely want strong skills to begin with and be ready to handle the stress of the many different tasks that you will face. Your compensation will depend on where you choose to do your DM and what you are looking to get out of it.

I would not recommend looking at being a DM as a discount or a potential income source, at least at your stage. I am doing it more for love of the sport and as a step towards the next instructor levels and before expanding my skills sets further into tech. Yes, you *should* get some sort of incentive for the course, but if that is your only reason you are better off just investing in some gear and save on rentals until you are absolutely convinced that you are capable of taking care of people and completely confident in your skills. I know I was not at 32 dives, but maybe you feel different.

Thanks all. I appreciate the feedback. Your thoughts and some other threads on the site have given me a lot to think about regarding my readiness to participate as a DM at this stage of my experience.

You sound like you have the desire, which is the most important..just don't lose it! Based on my recent experience just keep praticing and improving your skills. Most importantly as a DMC you will need to develop uncanny multitasking and task loading abilities so start early! There are tons of people on the boards here that can give you tips and you can always look into stuff like DIR to make sure you meet some of the advanced skills levels so you can be confident in your ability to chase after runaway divers after you take their weight away in efforts to have them improve their skills!

I myself also find that I'm growing closer to becoming a DM. The dive shop I'm planning on doing it through has people whm have mentored my through my learning stages and bumps in the road in many ways. I've always planned to do my DM but will not until i have at least 120 dives to start and then i plan on interning and leading dives (I'm already doing that in our drop ins when there is no other DM to lead a second group of more experienced divers). I know quite a few people who have gone through the process and they have encouraged me to take my DM when I feel ready. My safety stops now a days have gone from "oh lets look at whats here" to "ok I'm going to work on a few drills while I sit(float) here" especially mid water ones and I feel overall my skills are becoming better (yea I frequent the DIR section as a silent observer). For it is about mentoring and inspiring others to take up diving. I love to pass on my passion to both new diver, those not diving, and to those who have been at it for a while. While also showing people to do as should be done and disturb the area as little as possible in the adage of "take only memories and leave only footprints" in the case of diving I would say should be revised to "leave nothing".

already on a few occasions I've helped out a ton by having people take the extra weights I carry on the top of my tank (a couple of ankle weight 4lbs total) and giving it to them as needed, which saves and annoying swim back to shore. Also I tend to having spares of most things on hand. I'm looking forward to doing my DM sometime n the coming months and I know at times it will be trying my patient but at the same time I know there will be rewarding days that will make the bad ones bearable.

Doomnova it sounds like your all ready venturing into the DM area by helping like you do. Completing the DM course would allow you to continue like you are but with more information and understanding. You can get the DM cert, continue as you are, and only accept more responsibility when you feel your ready.

I agree Doomnova, you sound like you have the right frame of mind to pursue your DM. I earned mine a couple of weeks ago and have since finished my DSD Leader and do my first independent scuba review this weekend. The past weekend, as a DM, I cleaned up the backend on all four OW dives and assisted on two rescue diver dives...all this in some cold, low vis. Get as much experience as you can. It will initially surprise you just what you will experience in leading a local dive, doing a scuba review, how much concentration it takes to properly work a class. While you will be in the water, it is work and there is a reason your instructors in DM will continually task load you. It however, is rewording to work your first solo DSD and take that one hesitate one from nearly ready to get out of the water initially to wanting to spend more time in the deep end or simply by removing anxiety from an OW diver by some support, and couple of pounds of weight, which reduces their task loading and enables them to move forward with the certification. As endurodog says, realize you are still learning as well and move forward when you think it time.

Doomnova, I'm sure you'll make a fine DM with your attitude. I envy you in that my location means mostly solo diving. I practise the skills you can do by yourself. The number of DMs we have also restricts my class assisting to very few a year, so I review a lot of stuff mentally. That's life-- you do what you can.

Can anyone who has completed the dive theory online course tell me how long it took each of you to complete it and at what pace were you working on it? Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom