Divemaster training..as it goes.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichmondKYdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those considering divemaster training, I would encourage you to find an active LDS, no I'm not advocating zero to hero, just an active dive shop. Last week, I was able to participate in two classes, one scuba review, practical cylinder training from valve removal to visual to paperwork, one scuba review scenerio with four divers from classroom to pool and back to the classroom. Students pulled out cell phones, talked, bathroom trips, wandered off at the pool, attempted to swim off...much like the actual scuba review:shocked2::) I was in the water four times last week.

This week is class work, then pool tonight, equipment (regs) Weds night in class, class and pool Thursday night, class Friday night, open water Saturday and Sunday....and NO this is not zero to hero, just the LDS's normal yearly divemaster training. They take advantage of the spring interest in diving to coordinate the DM class.

In the first two weeks of May there are two confined water classes, a couple of specialty dives, discover scuba, scuba review along with the two day open water for the two confined water classes. It is a busy schedule that allows us ample opportunity to apply what we have learned in a practical environment to achieve our divemater conducted programs and practical assessments.

We started off as a class of six, that is now down to three on perfect schedule, two only one timed event behind (which should be taken care of this week) and one 3 sessions behind. Only one is left to do the equipment exchange.....which more than just me found to be the most fun water skill to perform.

If one looks at the skills, class time and practical assessments, if you do not use an active dive shop with very enthusiastic instructors and DMs, you are in for a long run. With that said, looking at diving now from a professional view along with the more in depth knowledge of dive physics, physiology, equipment I am without a doubt a much better and safer diver. Thanks that I have a very understanding wife....course we are going to Nassau in two and half weeks for a nice getaway and her open water referral:eyebrow:

For those considering this route, enjoy the experience. You will not be sorry you go the DM route!!

Agree...busy lDS=more opportunities for classes..
I cannot understand why some people would take a dm class from an independent who may only have 2 or 3 ow classes a year and then complain they do not have any access to classes.
Then they go to a LDS and expect them to bring them on to assist in their classes!
Sorry , but it most likely ain't gonna happen!
Same ones go on to get their instructor rating and then moan about that the LDS will not hire them or arrange to give them students.
I always suggest if going pro take your DM class at a busy LDS that you may be able to work at. Start making the contacts there. Once you are an instructor there and get a good reputation,then, if you wish to go elsewhere you have a proven track record and more likely to be employable. Not to say independent instructors cannot succeed, they certainly can, but it can be a more difficult path to follow.

Tonight was definitely a workout night, the 15 minute tread (last 2 both hands out of the water), timed tired diver tow, cesa, skin diving along with a fews pool skills to finish up the skills portion...but 5 points on the tread and 5 (by 3 seconds!!) on the tow....classroom test Thursday.

I just finished an OW class that I was monitoring- actually learn a lot with these classes. The Instructor, who is fabulous, gets us involved with the students, and yields a lot of learning. Saturday night we have our final pool session, and we are mocking up a boat with boat undocking, entries, etc., so hopefully this group with be courteous divers on their first boat trip. When I first heard this, I was skeptical, but having been on many boats with equipment spewed all over, this should be a good learning experience. Thought of handing out the Scuba Snobs book.

Overall, a lot of effort, but the DM class is worth it, soon to be followed by DiveCon.

Terry

Tonight we finished up the class portion of DM, took the test, 58-60, I'm taking the dive theory online. Missed one typical padi question, actually the other two who took the test tonight missed the same question....padi. The other was just a bonehead moment. Mentoring/Monitoring a rescue class this weekend. All the pool work is completed, now practicals. Course it doesn't feel right only being in the water three times this week:wink:

Pool work for me completed tomorrow night, then next weekend an intense two days OW. Still will need a low viz/night dive and a deep dive monitoring to finish, but that should be it.

Good luck to you. Expected a tough road, and that's what I got- and appreciative for it. At the end, I will have definitely earned it. Learned a lot along the way. On to Dive Con...

Terry

I see you recently tool the DM test for PADI - I will be taking it this week and was wondering the foolowing as I have read several different pieces of information about the test itself. One description indicated that the test soley focused on the PADI book itself with little from the Encyclopedia of Rec Diving. Another stated that there is material from both. I am just trying to narrow down what it is I really need to review? Any help or suggestions??

The DM exam I took had material from the study book and the instructor manual..

The DM exam I took had material from the study book and the instructor manual..

This. They took out virtually everything from the Encyclopedia that was in the previous DM exam (e.g., all the physics).
But of course you should read the Encyclopedia too, has lots of good info regardless of it not being tested on the exam.
Either way, good luck!

Hijacking this thread to post an educational day as divemaster intern. Note that I've only recently started so I was expecting steep learning curves and that was I got yesterday.
Also, after the morning dive I helped out in the dive center carrying gear, learning how to fill tanks, etc.

But the dive was the steepest learning curve. I joined a group of 5 divers of which a few were newly certified and one hadn't dived in a year. We planned a simple shore dive to a max depth of 12m and would turn back depending on the air consumption of the divers. Meaning that once one diver got down to 60 bar or so we'd head back to the pier/shore.
The group was led by a dive guide/instructor and I was to tag along in the back to keep an eye on everyone. Shortly into the dive two of the divers started swimming away from the group and when I looked at the dive guide he was holding onto two other divers who were having serious buoyancy issues. So I knew it was up to me to go fetch the divers and once I did they didn't stray away for the remainder of the dive.
There was also one older gentleman in the group who swam a bit slower than the rest so I hung out with him most of the dive. Then at some point his friend (or his son?) gave him the camera which already made alarm bells go off in my head. And indeed, soon enough we were separated from the main group. That in itself didn't cause much stress, just some annoyance, but while I was trying to figure out where we were I realized I didn't recognize any features. The visibility was about 10m and all I saw was lots of sand and a few rocks here and there. Since I did remember the direction that the main group disappeared into I led the older gentleman in that same direction. But after a few minutes I didn't see a difference in bottom composition and still didn't recognize any features. So, at that point I was annoyed with myself for not grabbing a compass in the hurrying of getting ready to dive.

I knew I would have to surface to check where we were so I asked my buddy how much air he had left, and he replied he still had 100 bar (half a tank) left. Then I signaled that he should stay put and that I was going up to see where we were. I felt bad for having to leave him alone but this was the only option at that point. When I surfaced I was surprised that we were a bit out to open sea so I got a bit worried for the older gentleman since we'd have to swim all the way back underwater.
Then after swimming in the right direction I still didn't see a difference in bottom composition and my dive computer didn't indicate that we were getting shallower either. So I decided to surface again and signaled to the older gentleman again to stay put and that I was going to have a look.
Fortunately we were closer to the pier now but once I got back down to the bottom the gentleman was gone. Obviously I felt like crap and worried like hell while searching for a minute or two. I didn't find him anywhere and although I couldn't see him at the surface I remembered a self-learned rule of thumb: when not seeing your buddy he's usually right above you. So I surfaced for the 3rd and final time and indeed found the older gentleman on the surface and he told me that he saw me looking for him underwater but that he couldn't get down again.
I responded that not to worry, asked whether he was okay (he confirmed), and that we could now just swim back to the pier/shore. Once we got to the pier ladder he couldn't manage to take off his fins so I did for him. Once we were standing on the pier I asked him how many dives he had done and he said 11! I complimented him on remaining so calm and that he did a good job staying with me.

Overall, it was quite a stressful but very educational dive where I wasn't worried about myself at any point but was worried about my buddy possibly panicking and having to swim back quite a bit of distance. I'm very glad he didn't panic at any point which would've made things a lot more challenging.
Of course I talked to the dive guide/instructor at the end of the busy day and he said he couldn't wait for us since one of the other divers was done to 50 bar already. Him and the other guys working at the dive center were very supportive and said they also got lost when they first started out as divemaster interns.

Anyway, everything ended well and I learned a lot about myself and got some unexpected first-hand experience at guiding divers early on in my divemaster internship. :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom