Divemaster Stress Test!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I
I see it as a way of showing DMTs how much of a mess you can handle underwater while still actually handling it. There might be better ways of showing it but this definitely worked for me.

Dunno, something like this seems better to me... (while not making it as harsh obviously)

Seriously? Is that what the DM exam is about? What's wrong if those agencies ffs?!
It's not an agency thing, it's an instructor thing.
I have several agency training standards and none of them say overweight for any skill or exercise.

Interesting, in the PADI DM program the candidates are to do an exchange of gear:

"In confined water, demonstrate the ability to effectively respond to an unusual circumstance underwater by exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and weights) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator second stage earning a minimum score of 3"

Yeah, my instructor likes to bring it all up a notch. We also had to tread water with our hands out of the water for the entire 15 minutes, not just the final 2 minutes. In addition to the gear exchange we also tried jumping in the pool with all gear in/on our arms and the tank turned off. When we touched the bottom we were allowed to open the tank, grab the regulator and breathe off of it while putting the gear on. Fun times. :)

Nice that your Instructor likes to flaunt the Standards. What would have happened if you were not able to do the Float that way? Would he still "pass" you? Good way to teach new Pros.

Yeah, my instructor likes to bring it all up a notch. We also had to tread water with our hands out of the water for the entire 15 minutes, not just the final 2 minutes. In addition to the gear exchange we also tried jumping in the pool with all gear in/on our arms and the tank turned off. When we touched the bottom we were allowed to open the tank, grab the regulator and breathe off of it while putting the gear on. Fun times. :)
Your instructor is a jerk, and a poor role model. Not that I feel strongly about this, of course.

Your instructor is a jerk, and a poor role model. Not that I feel strongly about this, of course.
Agree. Especially when the float has mostly to do with body buoyancy and not stamina or skill.

Nice that your Instructor likes to flaunt the Standards. What would have happened if you were not able to do the Float that way? Would he still "pass" you? Good way to teach new Pros.
If you pass according to PADI standards he'll send in your documents and you'll be a divemaster. If you pass according to what he thinks you should be able to you'll have the offer of working in his shop as a divemaster, with pay and all.

I'd love to hear more about what you think makes him a poor role model.

I'd love to hear more about what you think makes him a poor role model.
First and foremost, he disregards standards and makes his own decisions about the content of a class.
By the way, you are only assuming he would pass someone (for example) who did not do the 15-min tread with hands out of the water.....by having them do it again according to standards? Or just saying,"Fine, good enough."

If you pass according to PADI standards he'll send in your documents and you'll be a divemaster. If you pass according to what he thinks you should be able to you'll have the offer of working in his shop as a divemaster, with pay and all.

My Instructor required that I polish a few demo skills more, and the owner said that since my DM course took longer than the norm that I audit ("Intern", whatever) a couple of OW courses. Though I really didn't think I needed either, it's obviously the Instructor/shop's perogative to require more than the basic standards (I was told I was good enough to get the cert., they just wanted a bit more to hire me). So, I wonder what other requirements your Instructor had? A shop can require anything they want since they're going to pay you, but the "hands out" thing just seems silly.

I had to have my feet out of the water for the last 5 minutes......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom