Divemaster Stress Test!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad the thread was revived. When we did it ('09) it was not part of the point total, just pass/fail. But I'll boast that I'm sure we'd have gotten a 5. One thing I forgot to mention back then was about buddy breathing. We didn't buddy breathe the "official way"ei. take 2 breaths then pass it over. Of course you can't hold on to each other either, which is part of buddy breathing. Maybe that's why they call it "breathing from a single 2nd stage". We just let the other guy do as much as he could while we had no reg in mouth. Then the other guy as much as he could with reg in mouth--or maybe it was the other way around??? As TS&M said way back, if you switch masks first, there is no reason it shouldn't go very smoothly (or even if you don't switch masks first--the mask switching is the only time you can't see exactly what you're doing). With masks on you can easily see when your buddy is ready for more air. There really isn't much stress at all. Of course as I mentioned back then, you should start with each other's gear on and have a plan as to the order you're going to switch things.

The answer to question 1 is to stop viewing it as a stress test and start viewing it as a test in RELAXATION. The more you relax and view it as a game, the easier the test will be. Calling it, or viewing it, as a stress test will put you in the wrong mind-set, imo.

I like that... and will be stealing it.

:D

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2016 at 08:19 PM ----------

#1 is obvious. The key to doing things right the first time is to go slow. Just like many things in life, if you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it twice.... so take your time.

"Slow is smooth... and smooth is fast."

When I did mine we started with the others gear. Mask were switched first since that is the most difficult to deal with as you can't see you partner clearly. The other key was to wear a weight belt and overweight yourself so you were planted on the bottom and not seperate from your partner.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I did mine we started with the others gear. Mask were switched first since that is the most difficult to deal with as you can't see you partner clearly. The other key was to wear a weight belt and overweight yourself so you were planted on the bottom and not seperate from your partner.

Logical idea. At the pool we only use either 8 or 12 lb. soft belts. I used my usual 12 (which is the weight I'd wear diving fresh water in shorty--yes, really...) and had no problems. I guess you could add weight to your BC pockets. How much overweight would you want to be for it to be helpful?

overweight yourself so you were planted on the bottom and not seperate from your partner.

Seriously? Is that what the DM exam is about? What's wrong if those agencies ffs?!

When I did it we were also 'challenged' by an instructor swimming around turning off valves, knocking masks off, etc...but nothing I would call hazing. It was kind of fun, actually. With regards to the weighting, I just made sure each of us split some weight up between the belt and the BC so that everything was reasonably neutral.

A few weeks earlier a couple of female DMTs caused a stir by trading bikini tops in addition to their scuba gear. Too bad there's no video of that one!:wink:

Logical idea. At the pool we only use either 8 or 12 lb. soft belts. I used my usual 12 (which is the weight I'd wear diving fresh water in shorty--yes, really...) and had no problems. I guess you could add weight to your BC pockets. How much overweight would you want to be for it to be helpful?
Freshwater pool where 8 lbs is usually enough in a short We wore 10.

The three keys to making it easy on yourself are:

1) go slow
2) communicate with your buddy
and
3) consider the order of things.

(...)

#3 The order of things can make a big difference.

I totally agree. Our equipment swap was done with one set of equipment and buddy breathing. One of us started with the equipment and the goal was to transfer all equipment to the other. After a couple of tries we managed to do it with proper planning. We found that I had a harder time working without a mask so I got the mask as the first item and afterwards we went slow and coordinated.

Another team of DMTs had huge issues since they were both quite buoyant and they only had one weight belt. One of them ended up sitting on top of the other, wearing the weight belt and transferring the equipment one item at a time.

I see it as a way of showing DMTs how much of a mess you can handle underwater while still actually handling it. There might be better ways of showing it but this definitely worked for me.

What made it easier for me was that my buddy was my instructor. So I knew I didn't have to worry about her having problems. I didn't practice, figuring if I got it right the first time, I'd be done. The last thing we exchanged was masks, so that we could see during most of the exercise. Wasn't pretty, but got it done on the first try. So just try to relax, and take your time. Get your breathing in rhythm before you even start exchanging gear.

Hope this helps!

I totally agree. Our equipment swap was done with one set of equipment and buddy breathing. One of us started with the equipment and the goal was to transfer all equipment to the other. After a couple of tries we managed to do it with proper planning ..

Interesting, in the PADI DM program the candidates are to do an exchange of gear:

"In confined water, demonstrate the ability to effectively respond to an unusual circumstance underwater by exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and weights) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator second stage earning a minimum score of 3"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom