Divemaster internships TNQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

refract

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All!
I'm looking to do a divemaster internship in northern Queensland, but all the agencies look incredibly expensive! Nothing less than $1900
I'm in Sydney and the best price i have found was 1500 and that included a Rescue diver refresher!
Are there any places in north Queensland that are more competitively priced????
Cheers!

where was that quote from?

I think you can probably get at least a match in that price from Frogdive Willoughby.

just remember that ontop of any course you'd need to most likely complete your medical again (as it sounds like you haven't done a course in the previous 12 months) and I'd make sure the quoted prices include your EFR course which is around $300 i think.

also you'll need a spares kit and a first aid kit before you qualify (which is probably a good idea to have anyway). so another $100 at least.

also there's the PADI membership fees and the PADI insurance fees you need before you can be a divemaster, I can't remember the membership fee (circa $150?), but the insurance is $200~ PA.

if you're trying to do this on a budget then be careful of the additional extras. my DM course was $995 cost upfront including the course pack... the final cost of the course was at least $1600, if not, more.

as for the FNQ question of being so expensive... if i had a business up there, there's no way I'd be charging the same as sydney... crystal blue water tax applies I'm afraid, as does the fact that most things are cheaper (like fuel, and the fact that you can do your skills as shore dives) in sydney.... it costs $80 for me to do a double boat dive in sydney and $210 in Cairns.

How about a DM internship that pays you? I did my SSI DiveCon with Reef Encounter out of Cairns, which is a liveaboard, and they actually paid me $30 a day and covered most of the course fees. Plus, since it was a liveaboard, I got free food and accommodation when I was on my shift (5 days on, 3 days off).
Because they pay you, you are expected to do a lot of work on the boat, including maintenance of all the dive gear (cleaning, filling tanks, etc.). It's also a long internship; they own you for 90 working days, which takes about 4 1/2 months to complete. By the end, I guarantee you will have over 200 dives and be prepared to run a dive deck better than any other DM intern in OZ. If you want more info, let me know, I'm happy to share. It was easily the most fun and exciting experience of my life. Plus, when you're done with your internship, they will most likely offer you a job as DM or try and push you to take your instructor course.
Hope this helps.

cheers! that sounds like an awesome idea, definately going to look into that!

i know there are a lot of extra costs with starting diving professionally, but for 2k+ i might as well go to honduras to do my divemaster and pay a fraction more =P
my $1500 quote was from Plunge diving

Just remember you get what you pay for. A lot of good advice above, and the reason many TNQ courses are expensive is that you are taking up a berth on the overnight boats. You also get a comprehensive course that will take 3 weeks or so, and full on. So places like Deep Sea divers Den and Pro Dive offer these sorts of courses and you will have to add on your insurance and memberships.

Reef Encounter is a great option (but remember it is SSI not PADI) so if you are not worried about finding work at PADI centres its a good way to go. Time is usually the issue here though and not many have 3 or 4 months spare to do it as you usually have to rent a place in town for the shore days.

SSI dive qualify to go on to do PADI Instructor courses too, so if you are keen on PADI you can still go that way. Overall its the instructors that make a good course and SSI vs PADI doesnt come into it.

Ther may be a waiting list so make sure you call them first and see if there is a waiting list or room on the boat. Great boat and a good crew too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

I did mine with Quicksilver in Port Douglas.
I dont think they are in Port anymore but in Cairns.
Give them a look up, Quicksilver diving services, and see their prices.
I can not say anything bad as it was absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for the info guys! I've decided I'm going to do a working internship like danhool34 mentioned. I'm currently looking at Yongala nr Townsville, QLD. Danhool also mentioned Reef Encounter Cairns. Does anyone else know of dive centres that do working internships in TNQ

Cheers!!!!

You can also check out Cairns Dive Center (CDC). I don't think they give you a stipend, but I'm pretty sure they pay for all your training.
Also, not sure which Yongala dive operation you're referring to, but I dove with Yongala Dive out of Alva Beach near Ayer and they have a good training program as well. My only worry with the Yongala operations is that it might get a bit repetitive doing the same dive over and over and over again.

And don't let the different certification agencies put you off. Even though I did mine with SSI, I've never had a problem getting work with PADI shops (or NASE or TDI).

How can I get that??
Just remember you get what you pay for. A lot of good advice above, and the reason many TNQ courses are expensive is that you are taking up a berth on the overnight boats. You also get a comprehensive course that will take 3 weeks or so, and full on. So places like Deep Sea divers Den and Pro Dive offer these sorts of courses and you will have to add on your insurance and memberships.

Reef Encounter is a great option (but remember it is SSI not PADI) so if you are not worried about finding work at PADI centres its a good way to go. Time is usually the issue here though and not many have 3 or 4 months spare to do it as you usually have to rent a place in town for the shore days.

SSI dive qualify to go on to do PADI Instructor courses too, so if you are keen on PADI you can still go that way. Overall its the instructors that make a good course and SSI vs PADI doesnt come into it.

Ther may be a waiting list so make sure you call them first and see if there is a waiting list or room on the boat. Great boat and a good crew too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2013 at 06:04 PM ----------

How can I get it?

Back
Top Bottom