Divemaster Internship Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

codolod

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'll be leaving for Greece on Thursday and I need to get insurance. I'll be there for 3 months doing an internship that entails working at the centre during the day (which I would assume I'd be covered for any accidents by the company insurance, but I did forget to ask them this) and completing the dive master course in my free time.

I rang up and was recommended the DAN insurance, but I'm not shire which policy to choose. I'm not a dive master yet, so that could rule out the DAN Pro Member policy, but since I am doing a course in it I'm not sure if the Sport Member policy would cover if anything happened that would be due to my being a student diver.

I would really like to get all my insurance (travel and dive) in one, and I am looking for it to be as cheap as possible (obviously without compromising). I was recommended this company and got a decently priced quote
http://www.portwood.co.uk/redwood/results.asp?act=B

This is a list of things the policy offers payout for, and Scuba diving from 18-30m is included in the level B cover.

Medical Screening Available

Excess - there is no increased excess
for medical expenses
Cancellation (Same excess applies)
Curtailment
Personal Effects
Single Article Limit

Valuables Limit

Delayed Baggage / 12 hrs

Delayed Baggage Maximum

Loss of Documents (Inc Passport)

Medical Costs
Dental Expenses
Hospital Benefit
Maximum

Money and Cash
Cash Limit

Under 18 Limit

Travel Delay
Benefit Rate / 12 hours

Maximum

Abandonment
Missed Departure
Personal Accident (16 to 75)
Death

Permanent Total Disablement

Loss of Limb (s)/ Eye (s)

Personal Accident (0-15 or 76-85)
Death

Loss of Limb (s)/ Eye (s)

Liability
Legal Expenses
Scheduled Airline Failure
Supplier Insolvency

If anyone could help me out with this It'd be absolutely great, thanks!!
smile.gif

divemaster in training is insured under his instructors policy here in the states,since you are his/their student
your mess ups would be their resposibility,i would say.
but then,i'm in the concrete bussiness,not greek law studies!!!
have fun and good luck!!!
with envy
yaeg:D

yaeg, you are referring to liability insurance.

If you are going to be diving a lot, diving medical insurance is still something to think about. If I was the OP and planning to be int he water a lot working on a DM program, I would get the highest level DAN offers. Its not all that expensive.

DAN insurance is supplemental insurance and is not the same as agency approved DM insurance.

You will want both and might as well get use to paying both yearly if you are going to be a DM.

You can't buy "agency approved DM insurance" until you are a DM. Since he will be a student he can't buy it and doesn't need it.

Attached is the NAUI form for purchasing Dive Master in Training Insurance. It's is $344.17.

As stated, some shops cover this cost. Some do not but it doesn't fall under the Instructors liability it is a separate policy.

Attachments

• US Individual Professional rev10_HOT.pdf
    175 KB · Views: 131
Wow. Naui wants students to buy insurance that costs more than assisting only insurance.

That's a giant minus for Naui in my book.

Wow. Naui wants students to buy insurance that costs more than assisting only insurance.

That's a giant minus for Naui in my book.

You don't seem to understand the liability involved here. If you think the liability of working with untrained divers even as a DM in training is somehow diminished you are sorely mistaken.

No one at NAUI or anyone else that have found themselves in the middle of a lawsuit will care one way or another about your "giant minus".

ETA NAUI Divemaster is a higher rating than AI.

Besides that if you are going to be an Active DM you have to carry insurance in order to renew annually. So consider this your first year's payment. If you weren't planning on being a DM why take the training course?

To have a learning experience.

A DM candidate is a student and anything they do should be under the direct supervision of the instructor. They are not in charge of anything. Thus, good luck proving negligence as a DM candidate does not have any duty of care towards others. Insurance doesn't cover intentional torts so I just don't see what you get for paying them as a student. Maybe other countries are different.

Back
Top Bottom